Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

Doctor Strange Day 1

Cinemark Thursday (319)

XD: 3 (24), 615 (143), 930 (54) = (221)

330 (2), 430 (2), 5 (10), 645 (27), 745 (28), 815 (0), 10 (7), 1030 (8) = (84)

3D: 4 (2), 530 (0), 715 (12), 845 (0) = (14)

I mean, what's there to say? I'm not bothering tracking the AMC Dolby and IMAX because 4 showtimes of both are damn near sold out (over 300 seats). 200m is probably happening

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Is there still any hope left for Ambulance to open to at least $15M?

Deadline just posted an article and they’re saying people aren’t sure if it’ll even crack double digits, despite IMAX. 8-12m. 

Is their article correct, that Ambulance has all IMAX and Sonic 2 has none? 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Deadline just posted an article and they’re saying people aren’t sure if it’ll even crack double digits, despite IMAX. 8-12m. 

Is their article correct, that Ambulance has all IMAX and Sonic 2 has none? 

This is true, Ambulance is getting all IMAX theaters. Sonic 2 is getting PLFs for most of the day except for the last show, which are going to Ambulance, at least where I am.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

The DSMOM OW floor is currently… 

?

Floor is a tricky concept. Do you use the bottom 1% of your personal distribution? Bottom .1%? .01? .00000001?   

Anyway, having acknowledged that the term is basically uninterpretable, I thought before sales that there was no way it should open below IM3 (nominal), and sales so far look about as expected so that’s still my floor.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Y’all manual trackers are in hell with this into JW into Thor. Brief reprieve before BP at least.

Your forgot the upcoming presale monster Firestarter

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

19 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Y’all manual trackers are in hell with this into JW into Thor. Brief reprieve before BP at least.

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Your forgot the upcoming presale monster Firestarter

How could all of you be forgetting about the obvious main event of the summer?

Tehee GIF - Downton Abbey GIFs

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Noiret Jak said:

What does that mean ?

I did not mean for that to be in french? How the heck did that happen????

OH you're in France, so prolly national translation.

The numbers themselves are number of seats sold, seats remaining, Total seats (sold plus remaining) and percentage as in the percentage of seats sold of the total amount.

Theatres-number of theatres Ive included in the count

Shows-How many total screenings through those theatres I am covering. I am covering an area of Toronto, Ontario Canada, up to 10 theatres for presales for those shows.

EDIT Or am I on the recieving end of some humor here? If so well done lol

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

I did not mean for that to be in french? How the heck did that happen????

OH you're in France, so prolly national translation.

The numbers themselves are number of seats sold, seats remaining, Total seats (sold plus remaining) and percentage as in the percentage of seats sold of the total amount.

Theatres-number of theatres Ive included in the count

Shows-How many total screenings through those theatres I am covering. I am covering an area of Toronto, Ontario Canada, up to 10 theatres for presales for those shows.

EDIT Or am I on the recieving end of some humor here? If so well done lol

Thank you very much for your answer, yes I often translate aha. ;) What do you think of FB3 sales so far?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

Thank you very much for your answer, yes I often translate aha. ;) What do you think of FB3 sales so far?

Okay thanks for the clarification ;) . As for FB3....*scratches head* (a bit of an explanation here, but There's a reason I promise! lol)

Its a little challenging, as Canada Box Office gets tied in with USA box office, but unlike the USA where you go to a website for a theatre and right from presale days you just pick your day, time and go from there. With Cineplex (admittedly I will speak only for Toronto but I think its pretty similar Canadawide), tickets will go on sale, but there's more a, locality issue to work with as far as seats. Ill use this example:

I want to see FB3 in Toronto on the opening Friday. Because the theatres work on a week by week basis, then while there may be SOME tickets available, they only are for "regular" or similar theatres, but very very low "availability early in the presales because the majority of theatres they run are still "booking" seats for the shows currently in theatres and sometimes really aren't sure how many seats they want to make "available" until the Wednesday before opening-so presales from first day to that Tuesday, there might "only" be say 3000 seats (again almost exclusively regular or similar seats) available. But when Wedneday hits, they've decided at that point to relase say 10000 more seats for the Thursday show (your AVX/IMAX/DBOX) higher tier theatres. 

SOOOO back to original question-it can get hard to get a determination alot of times on how a show will do if many people are "waiting" for that Wednesday when the fancy theatres get released. I will say numbers seem to do doing pretty well as there's a higher percentage of people who have bought tickets (again mostly regular and smaller amount of seats) for FB3, which opens in a week,  than for Sonic 2 which is opening this weekend. It doesn't hurt that the Harry Potter World IP is as big as it is.

Anyway, hope that explains a bit in my awkward way that I have lol ;)

• Like 2