Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

Spider-Verse 2 opening to 100+ at all is insane. I get people got kind of early hyped by some potential tracking but this is why it's good to pay attention to the lower comps too imo. 

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If this comes at 17.5-18 I don’t think any of us should be disappointed. That’s still a fantastic number, the movie is going to be 2/3’s of its predecessor’s DOM total by the end of its OW which is incredible.

Are my comps (Pacific NW/British Columbia) pointing to 20M+? Sure, but movies can overperform or underperform regionally. The beauty of the tracking thread is that each individual tracker’s data should be taken as simply one data point that paints a larger picture. 

anyone who is disappointed is being unreasonable 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Spider-Verse 2 opening to 100+ at all is insane. I get people got kind of early hyped by some potential tracking but this is why it's good to pay attention to the lower comps too imo. 

(as one of the folks reporting lower potential numbers, oRTAWeM.png)

====

With all of the roller coaster emotion going on right now (what is this everyone, a Weekend Thread or something??? 😘) it's also still possible for a big number.

Like, legit, no number between 17m and 20m would surprise me tomorrow morning.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Animation’s Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is doing some serious business tonight according to box office sources, accumulating $16M off previews that began at 3PM. That’s the second best preview night ever for an animated movie after Disney/Pixar’s Incredibles 2 ($18.5M) from June 2018. Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story 4, with $12M, is now the third best animated movie in previews.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-1235398807/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

With all of the roller coaster emotion going on right now (what is this everyone, a Weekend Thread or something??? 😘) it's also still possible for a big number.

Like, legit, no number between 17m and 20m would surprise me tomorrow morning.

So, uh, about that...

EDIT: It's probably Deadline being Deadline, but them coming out with an article that says 16m 5 minutes after that statement is something I just find funny.

Edited by Koni

4 minutes ago, Austin said:

Can Deadline even be off at this point of the day? I'm so lost as to what is happening.

Yeah, they still don't have actuals, just going off partial info from industry folk

To be completely literally 100% honest, I pretty much checked out of this run 10 days ago when the gravity of 17.5 revealed itself

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Austin said:

Can Deadline even be off at this point of the day? I'm so lost as to what is happening.

It's deadline's shtick to always lowball. But 17m flat wouldn't surprise me.

Unless Friday proves otherwise think OW is coming below guardians.

But expecting way better legs

Verified AS rose from 90% to 98% . Can it just push to 99% for that A+ CS.

8 minutes ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

Yeah, they still don't have actuals, just going off partial info from industry folk

To be completely literally 100% honest, I pretty much checked out of this run 10 days ago when the gravity of 17.5 revealed itself

Yeah just saw the sacto comp and was like yeah , kept myself optimistic but something was like it's gonna be close to guardians 3.

Mario weekend was fun but we're probably not gonna get another mega explosive weekend till Deadpool 3.

Marvels will do around the same.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

38 minutes ago, Koni said:

So, uh, about that...

EDIT: It's probably Deadline being Deadline, but them coming out with an article that says 16m 5 minutes after that statement is something I just find funny.

What's funnier is earlier I was planning on responding to a post by saying "Deadline 15m+ for AtSV incoming" but decided against it and made a quip about 17.5 instead.

• Like 1