Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

I'll have a better update in about an hour, but Spider-Man is showing 292k at Alpha as of 30 minutes ago, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing about 100ish shows.

Ok, another lazy update...314k.  All shows being captured now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just checked my nearest theater and every single Spidey showing almost sold out.

The sellouts are comparable to Mario's first full day for this location.

Yeah, we have a monster on our hands!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, vafrow said:

Across the Spiderverse T-1 , Milton, ON

Sales are now 20% below where Mario was at same point for $25.4M and 36% of GOTG3 for $23.8M. Neither of those will likely hold as they were both on two screens to the one for ATSV, so there's less room for walkups.

The last four days for ATSV has seen a 20% average daily increase. Sales have been very steady on this from the beginning. The weekend overall is pretty busy.  They added the second screen for tomorrow a couple of days ago, and it's already seeing brisk business. The screen available for advance sales is almost sold out for Friday and overall busy for the matinees.

Boogeyman starts the day with four tickets sold. It's really been slow. This has been similar to how Renfield and Pope's Exorcist has performed, and my feeling is that $8-9M range is likely where this is heading based on my little corner of the world.

Final tally on Milton is 337 tickets sold, with about 10 minutes to late showtime. Walk ups represent about a 32% increase from the start of the day. That's less than the 74% increase that Mario saw, and the 41% that GOTG3 saw.

Lack of capacity is the biggest reason. Still, I was hoping for a bit higher, similar to what I saw happening in Montreal.

Boogeyman sold 13 tickets in the end. It puts its a bit ahead of Pope's Exorcist, and, I still feel that's the likely story on this one.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Where did all the lower comps come from all of a sudden? I thought everyone was on board with 19m+ and now suddenly everyone is calling it into question?

Nah it was never a uniform consensus of 19M+

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Where did all the lower comps come from all of a sudden? I thought everyone was on board with 19m+ and now suddenly everyone is calling it into question?

Lack of capacity

4 minutes ago, Anotherspiderfan said:

So is 20M still on the table?

Possibly, but it’s going to take a very specific set of conditions (market over & under-performance) to get there, and without a very good comp to light the way

Alpha is the largest sample, and leaning at least close to it, but too many other data points are far enough below that it seems less likely. Usually by this time there’s good convergence, but instead the range hasn’t narrowed much from a couple of days ago 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Possibly, but it’s going to take a very specific set of conditions (market over & under-performance) to get there, and without a very good comp to light the way

Alpha is the largest sample, and leaning at least close to it, but too many other data points are far enough below that it seems less likely. Usually by this time there’s good convergence, but instead the range hasn’t narrowed much from a couple of days ago 

In that case, when will we get actual data on pre-sales? I assume pretty soon

18.5M is almost definitely the floor, based on overall sales of MTC3. What's really putting to question the potential above that is how much the lack of the ATOM deal is impacting (or not) overall market share for this one.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1