Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

9 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Hoping for The Northman presales soon, this movie looks so dope and i loved the previous Eggers movies. 

Do you know something about it @EmpireCity?

I'm really curious if this one can appeal to mainstream audiences, the trailer did very well in views.

I really think it can appeal to mainstream audiences judging by the amount of views and likes across Youtube and Twitter. Even if you just look up The Northman, you'll see a lot of regular people reacting to the trailer they saw "probably in front of The Batman".

But I feel like Focus/Universal isn't pushing it enough. Is it getting another trailer? I think only 1 trailer that was released over 4 months before the release date and that's it is not a good call. They need another trailer out there. They at least should've given it a Superbowl TV Spot since it was airing on their network. Will be a shame if it just goes under the radar. 

With its $60m budget, I don't think it will be a massive hit. But I really do think this can do like $100m+ and open to $20m+ domestically. Focus/Universal just needs to do right by it. Still don't understand why this is under the Focus banner. Dumb.

• Like 2

Man I loved rl1628142187, but the franchise really started to run out of steam by the time they did rl1628144892. And with the disastrous performance of rl1628145152, I just don’t see much potential here.

Edited by Villain Legion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

ktbuexmju9m81.jpg?width=982&auto=webp&s=

175m straight to streaming OOF

Disney+ having a dire March until Moon Knight at the tail end+the movie itself not feeling particularly grand or epic+Omicron emerging at the time. Not really an OOF if it can help keep subscibers busy until Khonshu arrives.

• ...wtf 1

11 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I really think it can appeal to mainstream audiences judging by the amount of views and likes across Youtube and Twitter. Even if you just look up The Northman, you'll see a lot of regular people reacting to the trailer they saw "probably in front of The Batman".

But I feel like Focus/Universal isn't pushing it enough. Is it getting another trailer? I think only 1 trailer that was released over 4 months before the release date and that's it is not a good call. They need another trailer out there. They at least should've given it a Superbowl TV Spot since it was airing on their network. Will be a shame if it just goes under the radar. 

With its $60m budget, I don't think it will be a massive hit. But I really do think this can do like $100m+ and open to $20m+ domestically. Focus/Universal just needs to do right by it. Still don't understand why this is under the Focus banner. Dumb.

My guess is they will massively ramp up their marketing (as will all others) with the NCAA Tournament coming.  That is and has been prime advertising for April releases.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Downton Abbey goes on sale April 18th.

The Northman still sticking to it's date and going wide wide

Not to be one to try and pull more info from ya, but I was also wondering if you had any info on the other releases on April 22 (The Duke and Unbearable Weight). Any word on whether they might be delayed? Or are they planned as more limited releases?

So further update on Ontario-most mask mandates ending March 21 (places like buses, senior residents, and related end April 27). I do know that we've already had the other mandates lifted, but I thought Id add this, if for only reason as lifting of masking mandates may now encourage those who were hesitant before to head to theatres. I mean I don't think the increase will be THAT much more than already was after attendance restrictions lifted, but thought it should be noted. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Downton Abbey goes on sale April 18th.

The Northman still sticking to it's date and going wide wide

Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Cruise are about to find out they're no match for Maggie Smith.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Super Pets delayed to July 29 and Black Adam delayed to October 21. The first of a wave of release date changes? Only time will tell.

Oooohhhh those are good moves.  It means Flash and Aquaman are on the move eventually.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Super Pets delayed to July 29 and Black Adam delayed to October 21. The first of a wave of release date changes? Only time will tell.

Covid is definately not the reason ,something else happened.