Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report:

T-25 days and counting

Capped

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

20.36%

Total Seats Sold Today

Multiverse of Madness has sold...

Final

Sold

% of

Final

Est
Gross

BW:

90.59%

SC:

142.48%

LTBC:

108.03%

ET:

129.99%

NWH:

29.56%

Batsy:

70.86%

Regal:     1876/10901  [17.21% sold]
Matinee:    452/4632  [9.76% | 5.43% of all tickets sold]

===

Man, it seems like just a couple of days ago yesterday that some folks were angsting on DS-MoM reaching 170 OW.  My, how time does fly.

Isn't the area you're tracking a marvel hotspot area ? 

5 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

But common look at the BW tickets in comparison to TB. Only 2.5k difference, definitely one of the biggest hotspot areas.

Not really. That’s just a ticket discrepancy which is like common all the time for tracking.

6 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

The regulars in this thread are pretty used to reading trends and pace (though of course it’s not an exact science). The problem is that even if it ends up with low 6s in previews that is not necessarily good enough to pass 40 on Easter.

Well here's the thing: I don't think it's going low 6s. The way it consistently trends up every single day, high 6s or even the low 7s doesn't surprise me. My data is admittedly lower than others, so maybe that's a sign, but Porthos' stuff is already at the high 6s in terms of the average. And katniss has been significantly higher than the rest. I know each region is different and all that, but...there's a lot of evidence for me that it's going to finish higher than what's it at right now. Maybe it will be different as we head into this weekend, but that's going against what the film has been doing, in spite of "meh" critical reception.

• Like 3

Thank you very much for reporting that you have issues too. I was already in panic and thought (especially after so many error reports not only last week) that it would be again the trouble I had before due to my location in Europe.

It says at the moment "Sorry, we couldn't find anything related to your search."

I noticed that they also mention on their frontpage "nationwide supply chain issues" and that some items may be temporarily unavailable. I thought they mean snacks etc. But maybe that's not the only problem.

• Like 1

Just now, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

I was ignored but I will ask again. 

Do studios announce new movies or release dates for movies in Cinema Con? 

I remember last year nothing like that happened. If I remember correctly 

Typically no, that does not happen. Once in a while, but that's not what CinemaCon is about. Their focus is largely hyping up their slate for the rest of the year to theater owners. I could see Warner Bros. doing something different, because the Discovery merger made it hard to make any big announcements or release date changes, aside from the big DC one a couple weeks ago, but I kind of doubt that.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
20 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

I was ignored but I will ask again. 

Do studios announce new movies or release dates for movies in Cinema Con? 

I remember last year nothing like that happened. If I remember correctly 

Last year was a bit of anomaly as studios mostly focused on showing footage of films for 2021 releases and a few 2022 tentpoles.

I've been going to CC off and on since 2013 and there have definitely been major announcements there over the years (Spider-Man: Homecoming stands out, as well as several Fast & Furious sequels and release dates, as well as Avatar). The primary focus is usually giving exhibition a first or early look at trailers and footage, some of which hasn't been released yet and some times it has been.

This year, I'm expecting a more normal presentation focused on summer, unveiling some late 2022 movies, and maybe even some 2023 sneaks. But hard to say if it'll be as revealing as past years. Studios had only begun to shift their attention before the pandemic, but they may be eager to renew excitement about the industry with a normal convention for the first time in 3 years this month. 

Short answer: it's kind of a mix, but we can probably expect at least a couple of new release dates and/or announcements. How many is anyone's guess.

• Like 3

I am also sub 40 after seeing UK numbers. If even the home market is rejecting the film, I don't see much reason for it to do better here.

I also think previews are ending up closer to 6m, mainly because Potter is a very fan driven franchise here, so this film is likely gonna be quite presale heavy. I expect the higher comps to drop significantly.

5 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I am also sub 40 after seeing UK numbers. If even the home market is rejecting the film, I don't see much reason for it to do better here.

I also think previews are ending up closer to 6m, mainly because Potter is a very fan driven franchise here, so this film is likely gonna be quite presale heavy. I expect the higher comps to drop significantly.

Fantastic Beasts 3 OW under DH2's Midnight previews of 43,5M.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Fantastic Beasts 3 OW under DH2's Midnight previews of 43,5M.

I’d be in on that club. With Easter this Sunday and the franchises general frontloadedness, I think SoD would need at least $7.5M previews to best $43.5M and as of today I’m not seeing that. I’m right on the border of $40M (like $38-40M).

4 hours ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

Regarding CinemaCon, is it usual for studios to announce new movies?? I thought they only talk about their upcoming slate of movies,in this case coming in 2022.

It actually is pretty normal to have new movies and dates announced.  It isn't the focus, but it happens every year.