Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

31 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

im confused

I'm not, judging by the release pattern locally.

They're treating this as a re-release with a particular focus on theaters with PLF screens (though not quite exclusively so).

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

I'm hearing alot African Americans are refusing to see Woman King, saying how would Jews feel if we made a movie about how an  S.S. solider 

i'm think under 20 million for sure 

lol sure

I can't speak for black folks but please leave us Jews out of your made up bullshit racist narrative about this movie, like you actually give a shit about "history" all of a sudden

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, The Eric King said:

Pearl Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 24 98 2701 4.07%

Total Seats Sold Today: 44

Comp

0.373x of Old T-1 (559K)

1.485x of The Night House T-1 (386K)

1.139x of Antlers T-1 (422K)

0.317x of Last Night in Soho T-1 (222K)

0.810x of X T-1 (356K)

1.307x of Firestarter T-1 (490K)

0.715x of Men T-1 (303K)

0.942x of The Invitation T-1 (730K)

0.371x of Barbarian T-1 (315K)

Pearl Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report Final Count

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 24 233 2701 8.63%

Total Seats Sold Today: 135

Comp

0.273x of Old (409K)

2.062x of The Night House (536K)

1.607x of Antlers (594K)

0.602x of Last Night in Soho (421K)

0.975x of X (429K)

1.806x of Firestarter (677K)

0.943x of Men (399K)

0.798x of The Invitation (618K)

0.483x of Barbarian (411K)

Pretty dope this is only slightly behind X tbh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't actually care that much about The Woman King's actual history and probably won't even see it until next weekend, but a sudden influx of internet white dudes having strong feelings about the intricate historical details of a mid-level September opener is clearly a tell. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't actually care that much about The Woman King's actual history and probably won't even see it until next weekend, but a sudden influx of internet white dudes having strong feelings about the intricate historical details of a mid-level September opener is clearly a tell. 

I mean, don't you agree that making a movie about women that captured slaves and sold them to Europeans, then marketing said movie to the descendants of the slaves is really "House of Dragon" Incest level sick , wouldn't you agree , who could blame African Americans not wanting to see the movie

Edited by Gokira2012

Just now, Gokira2012 said:

I mean, don't yo agree that making a movie about women that captured slaves and sold them to Europeans, then making movie about those women and then marketing said movie to the descendants of the slaves is really "House of Dragon" Incest level sick , wouldn't you agree , who could blame African Americans not wanting to see the movie

Wait a minute, aren't you the "black movies can't make money overseas" guy? I ain't getting warning points arguing with your no avatar having ass.

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They're treating this as a re-release with a particular focus on theaters with PLF screens (though not quite exclusively so).

In order to hit the low end of PBO’s $10-$20M tracking estimate, will need a ~$5500 PTA … or basically double what E.T. had as an IMAX exclusive (385 locations)

The high would be better than JK0’s $18M in 2286 locations in March 

Twin Cities Thursday Previews:

Wasn't able to get to The Woman King after school before its previews started, but looking around walk-ups seem fine? Not blowing stuff out of the water though.

Unlike...

Don't Worry Darling:

Day: T-7 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 10 theaters 24 217 217 3510 6.18

Holy FUCK. This is just absolutely blowing everything I have out of the water, it would be silly to use any of my comps. And worth mentioning this does NOT include the IMAX events for Monday, which all seem to be pretty much sold out around here. The frontloadedness isn't unexpected, due to Styles + all the drama, but the sheer volume of it is (at least for me). We'll see how this keeps shaping up, but I think this is going to be my first real fun tracking experience ever 😄

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, M37 said:

In order to hit the low end of PBO’s $10-$20M tracking estimate, will need a ~$5500 PTA … or basically double what E.T. had as an IMAX exclusive (385 locations)

The high would be better than JK0’s $18M in 2286 locations in March 

I doubt it matters all that much, but locally at least Cinemark's listings for the re-release still aren't on Fandango (or Atom for that matter).  Only available on the corp site and in-person.

Which is...  Well, probably won't matter except at the edges, but it certainly is a choice.

(haven't checked other cities to see if the pattern is the same or this is just the actions of a local regional manager)

Edited by Porthos

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I doubt it matters all that much, but locally at least Cinemark's listings for the re-release still aren't on Fandango (or Atom for that matter).  Only available on the corp site and in-person.

Which is...  Well, probably won't matter except at the edges, but it certainly is a choice.

(haven't checked other cities to see if the pattern is the same or this is just the actions of a local regional manager)

Well I did spot check, and can’t find a single Avatar showing for Cinemak on Fandango. It’s definitely something on the corporate level: could be a glitch in that the way the title is coded isn’t being picked up 3rd party ticketing sites or they just decided to disable all sales channels but those in-house … but why? To keep service fees for XD showings knowing it’s a (near) PLF exclusive?

So many curious decisions with this re-release 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

wonder what theyll do in countries were plf's simply arent much of a thing

any idea how many 3D equipped theaters there currently are in the us?

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

lol sure

I can't speak for black folks but please leave us Jews out of your made up bullshit racist narrative about this movie, like you actually give a shit about "history" all of a sudden

Thank you! :bravo:

Also, who the hell watches historial movies and shows for historical accuracy? Want accuracy, read history books and watch documentaries, and even they aren't 100% on target. 

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No idea.  @Shawn might have access to that info, or know how to find it though.

Relatedly, Shawn, is it possible to get an approximate theater/screen count for PLF theaters in the DOM market now versus 2009?  Did some minor digging and wasn't able to come up with much public info that was easily findable (though I did find some info for 2015).  

I ask because PLF has utterly exploded since 2009 (which would have been pretty much IMAX only back then, right? [EDITED:  Looks like Cinemark started to roll out XD in 2009, with Regal launching RPX in 2010]), but I'm curious to see exactly how much it has grown in the last 13 years.

Edited by Porthos

22 minutes ago, M37 said:

So many curious decisions with this re-release 

Another curious decision, I was checking showtimes in my city and some other argentinian cities and couldn't find a small theatre playing the subbed version. Only the big chains have the subbed version.

• Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Woman King Harkins T-1 Day

THU - 358/29570 (109 showings) - $4106

0.16x Bullet Train - $750K
0.12x Nope - $770K
0.25x Crawdads - $600k

2.93x Beast - $2.7M
3.44x Invitation - $2.6M
2.12x Barbarian - $1.9M

Sales are too high for recent titles while not that high as compared to summer mid-range opener titles. Likely will open around $1.5-2M previews, but may be it surprises in a big way and go for mid 2s.

FRI sales are also good.

At 6PM, Woman King is 1527/30370 (112 showings) $16,434

Expecting 2-2.2K final for $1.4M ish previews. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 4