Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

*goes to start setting up sheets*

*checks out Fandango*

Huh.  All of Cinemark's showings for AM3 are gonzo on Fandango locally.  Are up on the corp site, FWIW.

Wonder if that error earlier in the day is causing a bit of a hiccup.

Hell of a time for it to happen.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*goes to start setting up sheets*

*checks out Fandango*

Huh.  All of Cinemark's showings for AM3 are gonzo on Fandango locally.  Are up on the corp site, FWIW.

Wonder if that error earlier in the day is causing a bit of a hiccup.

Hell of a time for it to happen.

*checks*

Up now.  No real loss, but still funny.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

Up now.  No real loss, but still funny.

Is it as funny as my theater NEVER having the tickets up when they go on sale. Like I don’t know if they update their website automatically at midnight or something, but it’s so annoying.

• Sad 1

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seems like the best one

im finally getting an imax relatively close by, but it looks like ticket prices are gonna be mad expensive so no way I make it my standard format

does a site that "reviews" movies on "imax" and tells us which movies are worth watching in that format exist?

thanks

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

So Ant-Man 2 had 11.5 m previews that started at 6pm and finished with 75.8m opening weekend (6.6x IM)

So now with 3pm previews and more frontloading in general, are we expecting an IM around DS2?

AM2 came out in the summer which front loads films a lot more than non-summer. I'm expecting something in the 6-7x range. 

• Like 2

Looking locally (Florida Markets), seeing a differing strategy for each MTC. Numbers here are for Friday, but Thursday has basically the same ratios just fewer shows starting at 3PM

MTC1:

• IMAX (1 show in 3D)
  • PLF - (no 3D, all standard, even ones that had A2 in 3D)
  • 3D - 1 screen (sometimes not even a full one though, 2-4 shows)
  • 2D - 1-2 screens (max 6-8 shows)
  • Very few shows before 11AM (only the top locations)

MTC3:

• IMAX (1 show in 3D)
  • PLF (1 show in 3D)
  • 3D - 1 full screen
  • 2D - LOL, so many shows (several at 15+, one w/o PLF had 37!) yes, in a row
  • Quite a few morning shows as early as 9AM

Clearly MTC3 is trying to capture sales by volume alone, while MTC1 looks to be focusing on quality rather than quantity (or just has much lower expectations?), and again no 3D for their PLF format.  Not as much MTC2 coverage in these parts, but from what I saw they're closer to MTC3, but with more 3D, not quite as many 2D showings nor early hours

• Like 3

And again, it's a holiday weekend so Sunday will be inflated which will raise the multi a bit.

My predicts are $15M previews and $110M 3-day, which is a 7.33x multi. Generous, yes, but that's taking into account the inflated Sunday and the relatively smaller overall numbers compared to other MCU openings.

Edited by Verrows

3 minutes ago, Verrows said:

And again, it's a holiday weekend so Sunday will be inflated which will raise the multi a bit.

My predicts are $15M previews and $110M 3-day, which is a 7.33x multi. Generous, yes, but that's taking into account the inflated Sunday and the relatively smaller overall numbers compared to other MCU openings.

Holiday mon opening probably loses a bit more than it gains over the 3-day since it moves demand to monday instead (obviously 4-day is stronger).

• Like 1