Eric is Quiet

No Way Home Weekdays/Matrix & Sing Thread (12/20-23) | 37.1M Monday/32M Tues | King's Man 800K Previews

6 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Why are the weekend projections for NWH so low? Like is $90 mil a legit possibility? thats damn near a 67% drops

Friday is Christmas Eve and most theaters domestically are only opened half the day. I'd be surprised with $90M in any case. I think $103-113M. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Why are the weekend projections for NWH so low? Like is $90 mil a legit possibility? thats damn near a 67% drops

Not much to worry about it likely make 80 million from Monday to Thursday next week. 

Edited by Torontofan

1 minute ago, GoblinXXR said:

It's not making $1B or beating TFA (which is what I assume you meant). The realistic goal is Avatar DOM.

Why not? It has basically 0 competition until maybe Morbius if that even and its weekday drops are pretty minimal so far

1 minute ago, JonahVex said:

Why not? It has basically 0 competition until maybe Morbius if that even and its weekday drops are pretty minimal so far

Because it isn't. Wednesday for NWH was $10M behind TFA 1st Wednesday. NWH 2nd weekend will be over $30M less than TFA 2nd weekend. 

By the end of it's 3rd weekend, even with great holds, it's going to be at least $80M behind TFA.  

6 hours ago, AJG said:

It doesn't matter. Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, Toy Story, Shrek, and SpiderMan are roughly the same age. 

Those films are set in and were made in an era that's more recognisable to the chrildren. They're comfortable with the storytelling, the action, the comedy and the CGI of movies from 20 years ago (kids still watch Mean Girls in 2021). Honestly this new Matrix should've been PG13

I do wonder if Universal will ever consider doing a live action Shrek film as it has the potential to make bank if done well. 

7 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

As others mentioned, NWH is already $7 million behind TFA despite opening $13 million higher than it. The gap between the two will only grow larger from this point on. For instance, it's not coming close to TFA's $149 million this weekend or its $90 million the following weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

We just got out of West Side Story with my 92 Year Old Grandma. 

Grandma: That was so nice! It’s nice to see a good movie after all the stupid ones!

Me: - As we walk by the IMAX door, points to NWH poster - So you want to see Spider-Man next?

Grandma: No! No more stupid movies!

Me: But you said you wanted to see a good movie!

Grandma: No! It’s stupid. No more stupid movies. 

Me: Okay. I will tell the boys you think superhero movies are stupid. I’m sure they’ll all appreciate that. 

Damn grandma sounds based

• Haha 4

After 7 days, TFA was at $390.9M while NWH will be around $387M (+/- 1%) once we get numbers today. From here forward, TFA made $545.8M more domestically. I think NWH should realistically do 65-75% of this the rest of the way for a final domestic total of $742-796M. 

Edited by GoblinXXR
  • Like 8

We can end the year thrilled that the year which began with Warner Bros screwing their movies and cinemas over for streaming is ending with Matrix flailing, and Spider-Man packing them in. 

Pure poetry. 

And I say that as someone who really liked Matrix Resurrections, but lmao Warner Bros. You got what you deserved, but thank you for proving day and date is a joke for event movies. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Christmas Eve on Friday will provide a big week to week drop. $50 million from Thurs previews rolled into the Friday total. An 80% week to week drop would still provide a decent gross for the weekend.

$20M Fri (-84%)

$37M Sat (-50%)

$38M Sun (-40%)

Even if it did manage $100m for the weekend it's still down 61%

Edited by Mango

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

We can end the year thrilled that the year which began with Warner Bros screwing their movies and cinemas over for streaming is ending with Matrix flailing, and Spider-Man packing them in. 

Pure poetry. 

And I say that as someone who really liked Matrix Resurrections, but lmao Warner Bros. You got what you deserved, but thank you for proving day and date is a joke for event movies. 

WB was the one still putting movies in theaters atleast to a time where Disney ether put with PVOD or just making them Disney+ exclusive. And Matrix Ressurections is not an event movie, its on the pile of unnecessary shitty legacy sequels.

15 minutes ago, Coldbird said:

WB was the one still putting movies in theaters atleast to a time where Disney ether put with PVOD or just making them Disney+ exclusive. And Matrix Ressurections is not an event movie, its on the pile of unnecessary shitty legacy sequels.

Disney sucks too and while they are involved with this movie, it's all Sony on a distribution standpoint. They were definitely a lot more pro-theatrical than Disney or WB.

1 hour ago, Coldbird said:

I’m not excluding Disney from my point either. But at least they weren’t stupid enough to commit to a whole year of it, let alone not even charging anything for them. 

• Like 2