EmpireCity

New Year Weekend Thread (31 Dec - 2 Jan)

The current box office of Oscar Best Picture contenders:

Dune- 106.9m

West Side Story- 29.5m

King Richard- 14.6m

Belfast- 6.9m

Licorice Pizza- 6.3m (will pass Belfast this week, probably King Richard with an expansion)

Streaming:

CODA

Don't Look Up

The Lost Daughter

Macbeth

Power of the Dog

Tick Tick Boom

Others:

Cmon Cmon- 1.85m

Drive My Car- 324k

French Dispatch- 16m

Gucci- 48.9m

Nightmare Alley- 7.5m

Spencer- 7m

Spider-Man: 609.8m

Bleak.

Finally saw the Batman trailer and pretty much hated it.  There was nothing but hero music and not much else.  I clearly don't have a grasp of the box office right now but I'll be shocked if it does well.  This just looks confusing to the casual film goer.  Where's Affleck?  Why is Edward Cullen in this?  Why do I want to see another Batman movie again?  

I personally liked Affleck as the Batman, I have zero interest in seeing this one.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dune- 106.9m

West Side Story- 29.5m

King Richard- 14.6m

Belfast- 6.9m

Licorice Pizza- 6.3m (will pass Belfast this week, probably King Richard with an expansion)

Streaming:

CODA

Don't Look Up

The Lost Daughter

Macbeth

Power of the Dog

Tick Tick Boom

Others:

Cmon Cmon- 1.85m

Drive My Car- 324k

French Dispatch- 16m

Gucci- 48.9m

Nightmare Alley- 7.5m

Spencer- 7m

Bleak.

No Time To Die could have a chance tbh. A small one, but still a chance

28 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dune- 106.9m

West Side Story- 29.5m

King Richard- 14.6m

Belfast- 6.9m

Streaming:

CODA

Don't Look Up

The Lost Daughter

Macbeth

Power of the Dog

Tick Tick Boom

Others:

Cmon Cmon- 1.85m

Drive My Car- 324k

French Dispatch- 16m

Gucci- 48.9m

Nightmare Alley- 7.5m

Spencer- 7m

Bleak.

I'm honestly half-expecting the Best Picture lineup next year to consist of Avatar 2, Top Gun 2, Black Panther 2, Thor 4, Lightyear, etc. ABC/Disney will be begging AMPAS to just follow what the People's Choice Awards will nominate once this year's ratings hit another record low.

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

Finally saw the Batman trailer and pretty much hated it.  There was nothing but hero music and not much else.  I clearly don't have a grasp of the box office right now but I'll be shocked if it does well.  This just looks confusing to the casual film goer.  Where's Affleck?  Why is Edward Cullen in this?  Why do I want to see another Batman movie again?  

I personally liked Affleck as the Batman, I have zero interest in seeing this one.  

Very interesting. Personally, the trailer actually made me interested in seeing the movie as i can actually picture Pattinson very well as a younger, more energetic Bruce Wayne. It helps that Pattinson made a ton of movies in the last few years that stripped his Twilight history from him (atleast for me), like The Lighthouse, Good Time etc

In contrast, would this trailer showcase another round with Affleck, id have zero interest.

• Like 4

I think Batfleck appeals to a more mature audience, while RPats appeals to edgy bros on Twitter. It's cool to like RPatz these days. The movie trailer has plenty of likes, but we don't know if the general audience is hooked just yet.

RPatz latest movies have been pretty good (I loved Good Time, hated The Lighthouse), but those movies were not hits, so i'm kinda perplexed how he developed this big following of men. It's not because of Twilight.

Edited by Maggie

Keep in my I am a big Twilight fan, probably a Twilight loonie.  This has nothing to do with not liking Ratz.  He'll no doubt be a terrific Batman, I just don't think the film looks all that appealing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Q1 might be bad if you are a 3x/week movie subscriber, but if you're looking for good material 1-2x/month for Jan/Feb, there's enough material coming out...and March onward will be good...

I know here, we'll probably see Scream (boys) and Morbius (whole fam) and Death on the Nile (date night or girls' night)...and then we'll kick off March with The Batman (whole fam)...we may see more, but 4 movies in about 10 weeks will make us happy if we do no more...

I mean bad if you run a movie theater lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean bad if you run a movie theater lol

Yeah, but they'll be running reduced hours anyway due to lack of staffing from the virus, so with few worthy openers, there should be enough space to still let them have really good runs...

I don't expect an attempt at "normal" hours til March...and maybe not til colleges are out in May (where we see if theaters can go back to normal from then on)...

4 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Wonder where NWH will rank in Feb gross. Top 5?

Possibly. I figure NWH will make about $10-15M in February. 

Morbius, Moonfall, Jackass Forever, Death on the Nile, Uncharted I think SHOULD all beat that but one or more could be a failure. 

If I was a betting man, I'd say 6-8. 

• Like 1