Eric Prime

Weekday Numbers (1/3-6) | 7.9 Spider Monday

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Is it just me that it hurt the legacy of Marvel success a little bit ?

There was no brilliant build up, not a single particularly good spider man movie since Spider Man 2, yet a Jon Watts movie of all peoples, with those trailers of all trailers open like that just by throwing a lot of beloved figure in it ?

Not how the GA viewed it. 

And I don't think it hurts the legacy of MCU success, it just shows that the Raimi/Maguire films are still beloved. Plus this being MCU did help expand the audience as well. As I said a couple of times when this sort of discussion comes up, its the crossover of two beloved series that creates this monster. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

@charlie Jatinder how accurate do you think is the ticket list at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_States_and_Canada#Adjusted_for_ticket-price_inflation

It says BP sold 76m tickets. More than TDK but less than Jurassic World. The adjusted gross also seem confusing for some movies. For example it is showing Avatars adjusted gross to be 721.49m

As others pointed, this is just estimate based on dividing the gross and the Avg ticket of year.

For Avatar alone they seem to have make adjustment for the 3D thing. Last year I tried estimating weekend admissions, I think TFA and EG admissions may be quite close.

Spoiler

2D 3D    
  Normal IMAX PLF IMAX PLF Normal Admits ATP
Avengers: Endgame $237 $27 $22 $10 $13 $49 33.40 $10.70
Avengers: Infinity War $152 $23 $17 $10 $12 $43 23.94 $10.74
Star Wars: The Force Awakens $84 $30 $17 $30 $17 $69 21.30 $11.60
Star Wars: The Last Jedi $103 $25 $20 $15 $14 $44 19.30 $11.41
Jurassic World $72 $21 $16 $20 $16 $64 18.38 $11.34
Avengers: Assemble $78 $15 $7 $17 $8 $83 19.63 $10.57
Black Panther $120 $20 $14 $6 $8 $34 18.87 $10.70
Avengers: Age of Ultron $77 $18 $13 $14 $10 $59 17.45 $10.95
The Dark Knight Rises $128 $19 $14       17.71 $9.09
The Dark Knight $149 $6 $3       20.54 $7.70
Spider-man 3 $145 $4 $2       20.44 $7.39

There may be some errors in putting no.s for format here, but I did best of what I could make from Deadline write ups.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

I am thinking 8, but Fri is definitely the last opportunIty to get things back on track in terms of good late legs. Even if it only does like 450M post OW I guess it’s okay under the circumstances.

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

Is it just me that it hurt the legacy of Marvel success a little bit ?

There was no brilliant build up, not a single particularly good spider man movie since Spider Man 2, yet a Jon Watts movie of all peoples, with those trailers of all trailers open like that just by throwing a lot of beloved figure in it ?

Money is money. However a studio got there, it don’t matter.

giphy-14.gif?ssl=1

On 1/5/2022 at 12:10 PM, infamous5445 said:

Ain’t even been 10 years since release and Avengers is already at #9. It was #3 behind only Avatar and Titanic. WOW. I remember when people thought Avengers opening weekend would stand for a decade. How soon til we see a 400m opening weekend? Covid has slowed things down but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it before the decade is over.

Edited by eddyxx

6 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Ain’t even been 10 years since release and Avengers is already at #9. It was #3 behind only Avatar and Titanic. WOW. I remember when people thought Avengers opening weekend would stand for a decade. How soon til we see a 400m opening weekend? Covid has slowed things down but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it before the decade is over.

Endgame’s opening was a bigger jump over the previous record than any other in the last 35 years. It will stand a bit longer than usual but I’d bank on a $400M domestic opening happening before the end of 2030 (assuming theatrical exclusive openings remain a thing for event films). At the end of the day, the domestic opening record has never lasted more than 5 years at a time. I expect Endgame’s number will be the first to do it, but it will eventually crumble also.

Edited by RiddlerXXR

A5 can target Endgame’s record if they set it up right. Not in tickets, but ATP may have risen some 25%+ by then. A6 should do it as long as theatrical model or mcu popularity hasn’t collapsed.

Edited by Omicron Driven Legion

14 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Secret Wars will open to $450 mil, calling it now

1 minute ago, Omicron Driven Legion said:

A5 can target Endgame’s record if they set it up right. Not in tickets, but ATP may have risen some 25% by then. A6 should do it as long as theatrical model or mcu popularity hasn’t collapsed.

I’m calling that it won’t be an Avengers movie that breaks the record. 

• Like 1

Just now, RiddlerXXR said:

I’m calling that it won’t be an Avengers movie that breaks the record. 

2 of the last 2 OW record setters are avengers, and 3 of the last 5. The other two are the legacy sequels to franchises which already had multiple ow record setters. In theory something can always come out of nowhere but avengers sequels are obviously the heavy favorite.

4 minutes ago, Omicron Driven Legion said:

2 of the last 2 OW record setters are avengers, and 3 of the last 5. The other two are the legacy sequels to franchises which already had multiple ow record setters. In theory something can always come out of nowhere but avengers sequels are obviously the heavy favorite.

Of course, and Secret Wars is as good of a guess as any. I don’t think Avengers 5 will do it though, because I expect that to be a Young Avengers type thing and I’m not sure this new batch of characters will have Endgame level buzz for the first go around.

If it is a YA movie (let’s say 2025), my expectation is it’ll be closer to IW/NWH than EG. Maybe something like $275M.