filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

4 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Sean Penn feels he hasn't gotten enough attention by going to Ukraine, nothing to see here.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Has Sean forgotten that he has not one but two Oscars or did he give the one he picked up for playing Harvey Milk away after his dumb "men are too feminized nowadays" comments a few months back?

This is pretty much going to be a shitshow after all the controversies surrounding the telecast.

I am 1000% behind Ukraine, but I find Penn attempts to exploit it to get publicity to be obnoxious.But then I note his activism seems aimed  mainly at getting publicity.

Mila Kunis, with hre non stop fundraising, has done a lot more for  Ukraine then Penn has. Of course Kunis is from  Ukriane, and that makes a difference.

58 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Did I sense some sudden surge in support for Penelope Cruz in best leading actress?

I thought her performance is easily the best and not boring in comparison to other makeup/imitation performances like chastain , Kidman and stewart. 

It's possible although Chastain has the advantage of winning as of now between major picking up televised awards, having a baity biopic role in which she had to physically disappear into the part, and being a previous multiple nominee who hasn't won yet (Colman, Cruz, Kidman all have their own statues). 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Did I sense some sudden surge in support for Penelope Cruz in best leading actress?

I thought her performance is easily the best and not boring in comparison to other makeup/imitation performances like chastain , Kidman and stewart. 

I think the issue with Penelope is getting enough people to watch the film given it's smaller, it's a lone nom, and it's foreign. Once people watch it, it's really hard not to vote for her because it is the best performance in the category by far and it's also her best performance in ages. 

I've been having a feeling for the last few weeks now that she can win - it seems like there is a lot of support for her but it could just all be anecdotal. The more international academy makeup nowadays probably benefits her. 

Best Actress is definitely the most shaky out of all the major categories because no one in it is from a Best Picture nominee. BAFTA was of no help this year because none of the nominees were present there. The choices are either giving a previous winner their second statue, awarding a multiple nominee their first, or a first-time nominee winning on their first nomination.

Feeling good about Chastain though, because BAFTA giving Tammy Faye the Makeup award indicates there's definitely some level of industry support for the movie beyond her. Of course there would also be moaning about how they always give the award to the person who does the most acting, since Chastain gives arguably the broadest performance out of everyone that category, but I'm not sure how else anyone could've played someone who was literally a walking punchline like Tammy Faye Bakker was without engaging in some level of overacting.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Best Actress is definitely the most shaky out of all the major categories because no one in it is from a Best Picture nominee. BAFTA was of no help this year because none of the nominees were present there. The choices are either giving a previous winner their second statue, awarding a multiple nominee their first, or a first-time nominee winning on their first nomination.

Feeling good about Chastain though, because BAFTA giving Tammy Faye the Makeup award indicates there's definitely some level of industry support for the movie beyond her. Of course there would also be moaning about how they always give the award to the person who does the most acting, since Chastain gives arguably the broadest performance out of everyone that category, but I'm not sure how else anyone could've played someone who was literally a walking punchline like Tammy Faye Bakker was without engaging in some level of overacting.

But Tammy Faye wasn't a very good movie and we've seen that in years where the race is more all over the place the stronger movie ends up winning. 

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I am sure there is going to be some tribute to the Ukraine, but withour Zelasky. That Mila Kunis, who has been spending most of her time since Feb 24th raising funds for Ukraine, is a presenter is sort of a dead giveaway.

Frankly, I think that the Industry has written off Russia as a  market for along time to come, given that Putin seems intent on severing access to the West for the Russian people as much as possible. Back to the USSR indeed.

I can't get over how weird it is to expect Zelensky to appear at the Oscars. Like, back in 1941, was there this outcry for Churchill to record a speech for the Oscars radio broadcast during The Blitz? Talk about having no perspective. If I were Ukranian and trying to survive bombs/starvation/etc. I wouldn’t be thrilled about our president stopping to make an awards show appearance. Is everyone in Hollywood really this dim and myopic? Never mind, don't answer that...

It's funny that Mila happens to star in the movie that got the random Diane Warren nomination for Original Song, though Kunis was probably going to be the Ukranian star they'd get to appear for the Oscars, anyway.

Andrew Garfield was on a talk show recently and said he knew he wasn't going to win because he looked at Gold Derby. I wonder if nominees read the Honest Ballots, too,. Clearly last year's Oscars producers didn't, or they would’ve known about Hopkins possibly winning Best Actor and just ended the show the normal way.

Anyway, if I were a frontrunner I don't know if I'd acknowledge it or mentally try to downplay my chances. Everyone hates false modesty but sometimes the frontrunner does lose at the end and you can tell how much it sucks for them in that moment. They still have fame and money but no one likes being embarrassed on a global scale.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Just now, riczhang said:

But Tammy Faye wasn't a very good movie and we've seen that in years where the race is more all over the place the stronger movie ends up winning. 

Like "wasn't a very good movie" has stopped people from winning before heh. Hello, Meryl and The Iron Lady! Or Alicia Vikander in The Danish Girl.

If Chastain wins, the award is basically going to be for her like Julianne Moore's was in a year devoid of undeniable competition (Felicity Jones was the only person in the category that year from a Best Picture nominee). "Academy Award Winner Jessica Chastain" has a very nice ring to it as well.

My personal (wishful?) picks, just to compare later on tonight.

PICTURE

CODA

DIRECTOR

Campion

ACTOR 

Smith (although I would loooove a Garfield upset)

ACTRESS

Chastain

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Kotsur

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

DeBose

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Belfast

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

CODA

ANIMATED FEATURE

Encanto

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE

Drive My Car (although a Worst Person upset would also be nice)

DOC FEATURE

Summer of Soul (still upset The Rescue wasn't nominated)

DOC SHORT

Queen of Basketball (going to be honest, haven't seen any of these)

LIVE ACTION SHORT 

The Long Goodbye

ANIMATED SHORT

Robin Robin

ORIGINAL SCORE

Dune

ORIGINAL SONG

No Time To Die

SOUND

Dune

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Dune

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Dune

MAKEUP

Eyes of Tammy Faye

COSTUME

Cruella

EDITING

Dune (I would go with King Richard, but the Dune love seems to be there)

VISUAL EFFECTS

Dune

25 minutes ago, riczhang said:

I think the issue with Penelope is getting enough people to watch the film given it's smaller, it's a lone nom, and it's foreign. Once people watch it, it's really hard not to vote for her because it is the best performance in the category by far and it's also her best performance in ages. 

I got the feeling that whichever film has the most voters seen it will win the race for best actress. That is why Kidman and Colman has the edge initially since they are in the most nominated film. If parallel mother is nominated for best international feature like pain and glory did, Cruz will have higher profile. But yes, I guess Latin voters or euro voters can give Cruz some boost here. 

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's possible although Chastain has the advantage of winning as of now between major picking up televised awards, having a baity biopic role in which she had to physically disappear into the part, and being a previous multiple nominee who hasn't won yet (Colman, Cruz, Kidman all have their own statues). 

The eye of Tammy Faye as the front runner for best makeup really solidify chastain’s chance here. History is now in her favour as Marion cortillard and Meryl Streep achieved the same and to a certain extend, zellweger.

chastain is my best second choice. I prefer Cruz performance simply because I am so bored seeing make up performance being hailed as standard of excellence in acting. 

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Like "wasn't a very good movie" has stopped people from winning before heh. Hello, Meryl and The Iron Lady! Or Alicia Vikander in The Danish Girl.

If Chastain wins, the award is basically going to be for her like Julianne Moore's was in a year devoid of undeniable competition (Felicity Jones was the only person in the category that year from a Best Picture nominee). "Academy Award Winner Jessica Chastain" has a very nice ring to it as well.

Yes in Best Actress, you can win with a weaker film, but Julianne Moore was in a very dead year. She probably wouldn't have won in a more competitive year. Meryl is Meryl so rules don't apply for her. And The Danish Girl was a BP nominee, so at least the academy liked it (plus not like Steve Jobs was a particularly strong film either). 

In more recent years, when there's been a more competitive race the stronger film has won out. Look at Olivia Colman winning over Glenn (😭😭😭) and Fran picking up her third over Davis and Mulligan. Though, I guess those were also stronger films with the Academy and Parallel Mothers wasn't as much. 

1 minute ago, riczhang said:

Yes in Best Actress, you can win with a weaker film, but Julianne Moore was in a very dead year. She probably wouldn't have won in a more competitive year. Meryl is Meryl so rules don't apply for her. And The Danish Girl was a BP nominee, so at least the academy liked it (plus not like Steve Jobs was a particularly strong film either). 

The Danish Girl wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Did receive 3 nominations in addition to Vikander though.

Predicting the TV ratings for this is gonna be a lot more fun than the actual Awards show at this point.

They can only go up from last year, I just can’t imagine it’ll be a significant jump.