filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

CODA is not political lol.

It also has the best audience scores and ratings from the BP noms so you’re wrong, it’s broadly appealing to wide audiences. Literally why it won 

dude no one i know heard of the movie and we are all movie buffs lol

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

dude no one i know heard of the movie and we are all movie buffs lol

Actually I am not sure how one can call themselves a movie buff if they still don’t know coda exists. 

it is like a football fan doesn’t know which country won the last fifa World Cup.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, baumer said:

The Oscars having better ratings than last year is like saying the Americans had a better showing at the 1984 Olympics than they did in 1980.

I was born in 85. Is this referring to the Iranian hostage crisis or something else?

First, I wanted to watch the replay after work but freaking Hulu was a punk and took forever to put the thing up so I settled for clips on youtube of a couple things. Lame trash. 

I enjoyed Amy Schumer's monologue clip and think she should come back as host BY HERSELF. 

I read the show went over time anyway even after turning 8 categories into instant replays . Lame trash again. They need to give those nominees and winners the proper actual LIVE recognition they deserve and have earned . 

I think best picture nominees should go back to Five. There's no point in 10. It's just a bunch of films the general audience hasn't seen so what's the point. Go back to Five and then we can complain who didn't get in instead of wondering why 5 films with no chance are included. 

As for that slap. I liked Shannon Sharpe's take on it. You just don't go around slapping another black man. A joke as mild lame whatever that Rock told isn't worth a slap anywhere let along at the Academy Awards. I'm glad Smith has apologized but he's entering the multiple apology zone. It's out there move on. 

Finally, I wish they'd call it the Academy Awards again and not the Oscars. 

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

And he has no idea of what is taught in film schools. They are mainly technical schools teaching you the basics of filmmaking, like  how to use a camera, how to edit a film, etc.The amount of time spent on the purely "creative" things like writing is fairly small.

Mate i did film studies so I probably know more about it than you

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually I am not sure how one can call themselves a movie buff if they still don’t know coda exists. 

it is like a football fan doesn’t know which country won the last fifa World Cup.

Nah because the world cup winner is decided by an exciting game of who's best on the night. Best picture winners are picked based on people's opinion who are out of touch with much of the public. That's why the world cup final ends up being the most watched sporting event whilst the oscars struggle to get 20m viewers. Many true movie buffs stopped paying attention to the oscars when The Reader was nominated over TDK.

Edited by Tarintino

59 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Nah because the world cup winner is decided by an exciting game of who's best on the night. Best picture winners are picked based on people's opinion who are out of touch with much of the public. That's why the world cup final ends up being the most watched sporting event whilst the oscars struggle to get 20m viewers. Many true movie buffs stopped paying attention to the oscars when The Reader was nominated over TDK.

Lol, the most laughable post in a while. Movie buff and geek are two different groups. One can disagree about Oscar choice but ignoring it is like an economist ignoring FED decision to either go for rate cut or rate hike. 

and most importantly, movie review is always subject to subjectivity. Oscar is just a platform to showcase that subjectivity.

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Lol, the most laughable post in a while. Movie buff and geek are two different groups. One can disagree about Oscar choice but ignoring it is like an economist ignoring FED decision to either go for rate cut or rate hike. 

and most importantly, movie review is always subject to subjectivity. Oscar is just a platform to showcase that subjectivity.

How are movie buffs and movie geeks two different groups?  Most people can't even watch CODA unless they pay for Apple tv so suggesting all movie buffs must know of CODA's existence is a massive stretch. World cup is not the same as the oscars. I havent even seen an article pop up discussing the oscar winners this year, its just all about the slap because they know people are caring less and less about the awards, including all the movie buffs out there. World cup is the biggest sporting event in the world to the point that people with no interest in football know who the winner is so comparing the oscars to an event that brings in 500m viewers is flawed.

Comparing to rate hikes is laughable as they actually effect people. Seeing who took home a gold statue one night doesn't have any effect on the public, its just curiosity which has dwindled over the years due to unpopular decisions. I, like many people who are movie buffs hadn't even heard of CODA until the win, took me til last week to realise it wasn't an acronym

29 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

How are movie buffs and movie geeks two different groups?  Most people can't even watch CODA unless they pay for Apple tv so suggesting all movie buffs must know of CODA's existence is a massive stretch. World cup is not the same as the oscars. I havent even seen an article pop up discussing the oscar winners this year, its just all about the slap because they know people are caring less and less about the awards, including all the movie buffs out there. World cup is the biggest sporting event in the world to the point that people with no interest in football know who the winner is so comparing the oscars to an event that brings in 500m viewers is flawed.

Comparing to rate hikes is laughable as they actually effect people. Seeing who took home a gold statue one night doesn't have any effect on the public, its just curiosity which has dwindled over the years due to unpopular decisions. I, like many people who are movie buffs hadn't even heard of CODA until the win, took me til last week to realise it wasn't an acronym

Lol, you still don’t get the point. It is not about whether which is more credible. It is about if you are in a certain profession or passionate interest, you are bound to pay attention to certain event. It is part of the professionalism or knowledge buildup. Like how central bank decision to economists. 

are you sure you are in film school? Or are you even paying attention in class? I was in film class and watching award wining movie, not only oscar, but Cannes , Venice to golden horse is part of the assignment. In the end one may have zero clue what the hell is their decision but this is part of the process. Just like in economics class, you bound to investigate the nonsensical hyperinflation in Zimbabwe regardless how small and little impact that country to the world 

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Lol, you still don’t get the point. It is not about whether which is more credible. It is about if you are in a certain profession or passionate interest, you are bound to pay attention to certain event. It is part of the professionalism or knowledge buildup. Like how central bank decision to economists. 

are you sure you are in film school? Or are you even paying attention in class? I was in film class and watching award wining movie, not only oscar, but Cannes , Venice to golden horse is part of the assignment. In the end one may have zero clue what the hell is their decision but this is part of the process. Just like in economics class, you bound to investigate the nonsensical hyperinflation in Zimbabwe regardless how small and little impact that country to the world 

I get your point, i just disagree that all film buffs know of all best picture nominations when Im living proof that's not true. And yes I paid attention in class, even though it was 15 years back. Oscars and festivals like Cannes had nothing to do with my assignments. No need to patronise

3 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

I get your point, i just disagree that all film buffs know of all best picture nominations when Im living proof that's not true. And yes I paid attention in class, even though it was 15 years back. Oscars and festivals like Cannes had nothing to do with my assignments. No need to patronise

You still can be movie buff without knowing Oscar, just a failed one. It is like you can be a MCU fans but still don’t know what is the after credit scene of Thor 3. Of course you can still self proclaim you are, but that will definitely draw a question mark from your peer mcu fans

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

You still can be movie buff without knowing Oscar, just a failed one. It is like you can be a MCU fans but still don’t know what is the after credit scene of Thor 3. Of course you can still self proclaim you are, but that will definitely draw a question mark from your peer mcu fans

This is silly. I watch movies every day, study them and keep myself updated on future released  and even talk on forums like this but if im not informed on what the US based academy thinks are the years best movies despite all the controversy in recent years then I'm not a true movie buff? That is so pretentious 

18 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

This is silly. I watch movies every day, study them and keep myself updated on future released  and even talk on forums like this but if im not informed on what the US based academy thinks are the years best movies despite all the controversy in recent years then I'm not a true movie buff? That is so pretentious 

Then there is another word fitting your status. Casual movie fan.

also a director your username based on, he is playing those Oscar or film festival game. But that doesn’t make him pretentious, it was just part of his professionalism. 

Also paying attention to award show or film festival isn’t pretentious, it is just part of the inevitable if one develop deep interest in filmmaking. You know what is pretentious? Aimlessly admiring the award wining movie. 

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Then there is another word fitting your status. Casual movie fan.

also a director your username based on, he is playing those Oscar or film festival game. But that doesn’t make him pretentious, it was just part of his professionalism. 

Also paying attention to award show or film festival isn’t pretentious, it is just part of the inevitable if one develop deep interest in filmmaking. You know what is pretentious? Aimlessly admiring the award wining movie. 

I guess my film studies teacher was just a casual movie fan then, he used to ridicule the oscars and that was before they got bad 🤣