filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

9 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Maybe we should establish a govt ministry of correct jokes to be established. 

😏

If one need government to regulate which one is joke which is humiliation, then he or she should be categorised as chimpanzees.

I would rather Chris rock joke about Jana’s affair than her medical condition. Her affair was at least a self-inflicted incident, compared to a unfortunate unwanted experience. The whole joke is like telling a rape victim that he or she can now easily act better in a rape-themed movie like Elle.

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If one need government to regulate which one is joke which is humiliation, then he or she should be categorised as chimpanzees.

I would rather Chris rock joke about Jana’s affair than her medical condition. Her affair was at least a self-inflicted incident, compared to a unfortunate unwanted experience. The whole joke is like telling a rape victim that he or she can now easily act better in a rape-themed movie like Elle.

Chris Rock likely didn't know of her condition. Even Willow has a shaved head, to most people it just appeared as a fashion choice. That's the feeling I got anyway, especially after his 'come on that was a nice one' comment after. On the surface it was a very light hearted joke

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Chris Rock likely didn't know of her condition. Even Willow has a shaved head, to most people it just appeared as a fashion choice. That's the feeling I got anyway, especially after his 'come on that was a nice one' comment after. On the surface it was a very light hearted joke

I would be very relieved if Rock was in fact, unaware of jana’s condition. Then the joke won’t be as harmful then. 

If Smith really wanted to get back at Rock for his lame, apparently off-scripted attempt at a joke (a G.I. Jane reference. In 2022. Topical!) in the most calm and collected manner possible, he would've brought attention to Jada's autoimmune disease during his speech and said he loved her no matter what other people say. That would've really embarrassed Rock and likely would've hurt him more than any slap ever could.

What we ended up getting was one of the more glaring public lessons in how two wrongs = one big wrong (and not at all a right) in quite some time.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

It was a dumb joke.

He could have called him out or after

Violence is not a proper response to a  bad joke.

We must be very clear about this cause cancel culture should not start to become physical. 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

If Smith really wanted to get back at Rock for his lame, apparently off-scripted attempt at a joke (a G.I. Jane reference. In 2022. Topical!) in the most calm and collected manner possible, he would've brought attention to Jada's autoimmune disease during his speech and said he loved her no matter what other people say. That would've really embarrassed Rock and likely would've hurt him more than any slap ever could.

What we ended up getting was one of the more glaring public lessons in how two wrongs = one big wrong (and not at all a right) in quite some time.

Will wasn't thinking rationally. There'd been another joke alluding to Will/Jada's marital situation earlier in the show (the Covid test bit) and maybe with a second personal joke that night, he'd had enough. Like Will said in his speech, stars are just expected to laugh off any joke thrown their way. They still have feelings, despite all the money and fame (not that hurt feelings mean you get to hit people, obviously).

I have never been in the school of thought that a comedian in roast mode is absolutely needed at awards shows to take these stars down a peg... Like, the comedians are also right there soaking up the publicity from the awards show while positioning themselves as above it all? Hypocrites.

I am tired of awards shows giving massive airtime to people who clearly don't even like the kinds of films that get nominated and all the "nobody liked these movies" jokes...go host the People's Choice Awards, then. Why is the mythical casual viewer supposed to want to care about the Oscars when the people who run the show seem not to like the Oscars, either? They have a huge cultural legacy and footprint (as witnessed by The Slap being such a big deal because of where it happened--at an after party, it's maybe Jay-Z and Solange in the elevator), embrace it.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Will wasn't thinking rationally. There'd been another joke alluding to Will/Jada's marital situation earlier in the show (the Covid test bit) and maybe with a second personal joke that night, he'd had enough. Like Will said in his speech, stars are just expected to laugh off any joke thrown their way. They still have feelings, despite all the money and fame (not that hurt feelings mean you get to hit people, obviously).

I'm guessing that whole skit was planned ahead of time and multiple people were already in on the joke beforehand. What are the chances Bradley Cooper or Timothee Chalamet didn't know that they would be called to the stage or that Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin would've allowed Regina Hall to feel them up if it wasn't all part of the gag? Gonna assume not very high. It's already known that the much-derided Schumer/Plemons/Dunst bit was planned between all three of them.

Meanwhile, the fallout continues:

Will's wife turned him into the biggest meme of last few years because of her cucking. It was inevitable he'd eventually snap. Of course we would have never predicted the Oscars would be the incident but he's clearly an unbalanced guy. He gave some bizarre interviews during the campaign which is unusual for one of the biggest control freak stars of our lifetime who maintained a clean brand

• Like 1

The "fallout" with every Will Smith project getting paused feels a little fake to me. Apparently even Bad Boys 4 isn't happening anymore lol. It's just studios temporarily shielding themselves from bad buzz until this whole thing blows over.

If anything this is close to the Cruise on Oprah incident if that was an isolated thing. Which it wasn't, Cruise was on a year long crazy tour at the time going on talk shows to diss psychiatry as a fake science and lobbying european leaders to recognise scientology as a religion, his canceling at the time had more to do with his continuing unhinged public behaviour than his one public meltdown on live television.

Assuming the slap and his acceptance speech is all there is gonna come from it, this is just a case of a big star momentarily shattering a very carefully constructed public image. It will never be forgotten and there 'll be jokes about into the 2030s but by this time next year the streamers that are freezing his projects right now will crawl back and the new Bad Boys will not be headlined by Martin Lawrence whenever that happens.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joel M said:

The "fallout" with every Will Smith project getting paused feels a little fake to me. Apparently even Bad Boys 4 isn't happening anymore lol. It's just studios temporarily shielding themselves from bad buzz until this whole thing blows over.

If anything this is close to the Cruise on Oprah incident if that was an isolated thing. Which it wasn't, Cruise was on a year long crazy tour at the time going on talk shows to diss psychiatry as a fake science and lobbying european leaders to recognise scientology as a religion, his canceling at the time had more to do with his continuing unhinged public behaviour than his one public meltdown on live television.

Assuming the slap and his acceptance speech is all there is gonna come from it, this is just a case of a big star momentarily shattering a very carefully constructed public image. It will never be forgotten and there 'll be jokes about into the 2030s but by this time next year the streamers that are freezing his projects right now will crawl back and the new Bad Boys will not be headlined by Martin Lawrence whenever that happens.

I imagine he's gonna be keeping a low profile for a while, or at least until this all blows over. Which probably won't be too long from now since we all know the incident is inevitably gonna live on as a meme.

This whole situation makes me wonder how the world would've reacted to Christian Bale's (at the time fresh off of The Dark Knight) recorded outburst where he verbally abused and threatened to assault a crew member now vs. in 2009 when the influence of social media was barely a thing. He quickly bounced back just fine from that perhaps due to the fact it was immediately parodied to death.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I imagine he's gonna be keeping a low profile for a while, or at least until this all blows over. Which probably won't be too long from now since we all know the incident is inevitably gonna live on as a meme.

This whole situation makes me wonder how the world would've reacted to Christian Bale's (at the time fresh off of The Dark Knight) recorded outburst where he verbally abused and threatened to assault a crew member now vs. in 2009 when the influence of social media was barely a thing. He quickly bounced back just fine from that perhaps due to the fact it was immediately parodied to death.

Or Russel Crowe. That guy loves fighting round the world and he still got parts

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Different situations.  Anger on a film set/in personal life is unfortunately more common with various egos involved -- and in Bale's case, the key here is that it wasn't on camera.  Smith's debacle occurred in the top Hollywood industry event of the year, on live television, on camera, to hundreds of millions simultaneously, and of course entirely unjustified by professional circumstances.  An emotional outburst that blows the cool of one of the top movie stars in the world will always gain attention, but when you have the apex of the Oscars, live TV, physical violence, followed by two expletive outbursts, this is all on Will. 

The Academy still looks spineless for the debacle of the rest of the evening (take a look at the moments following and Nicole Kidman's face, for example -- she's horrified and her husband is holding her hand tightly for the next few minutes -- I think it took a lot for certain A-listers not to walk-out after that.)   The Academy also looks spineless for its inability to settle on "a story" for the last week, and for letting Smith resign himself.  They should have ejected him from the evening and The Academy -- that would have made a real statement.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Christian Bale bounced back from that really quickly because everybody knew how depressing it must've been being in a McG production.

• Haha 2

The whole issue with Will Smith is that he's a squeaky clean control freak celeb who is one of the most endearing stars of all-time and he cracked publicly on the biggest night in Hollywood for the world to see. It was unprecedented, never happened before, so there's no way to properly process/handle this--especially with the lies given by the Academy, their indecision to professional resolve the issue, and inflammatory social media world we live in currently. It's a national news headline.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The Academy still looks spineless for the debacle of the rest of the evening (take a look at the moments following and Nicole Kidman's face, for example -- she's horrified and her husband is holding her hand tightly for the next few minutes -- I think it took a lot for certain A-listers not to walk-out after that.)   The Academy also looks spineless for its inability to settle on "a story" for the last week, and for letting Smith resign himself.  They should have ejected him from the evening and The Academy -- that would have made a real statement.  

I mean, at the end of the day, all of these people are either entertainers or work within the entertainment industry who were in the middle of a live televised event, and as they say, the show must go on (especially when they were already running well behind - so much for moving 8 categories off camera to save up on time, AMPAS/ABC). Especially when the only assaults to occur at events of this sort were staged ones played for laughs, which a lot of people assumed it was until they started cursing at each other (Lupita was sitting next to the Smiths and clearly had no idea how to react).

This is a situation in which everyone loses tbh. Rock made a dumb attempt a joke that should've never been said in the first place, Smith could've handled the situation a million times better than he did, and the Academy/ABC/etc. are just passing the blame around for the only thing anyone is talking about from the show. Given what a disaster the rest of the ceremony was (and the past few have been, let's be real...these last two ceremonies in particular have left a pretty serious black eye on the history of the whole show), it's clear that they're just an all-around mess that might want to work on getting themselves together before it's too late and the Academy Awards becomes officially irrelevant due to the show itself being insufferable to sit through.

• Like 1