filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I repeat: Will Smith his own worst enemy.

I now expect he indeed will be kicked out of the Acedemy, but not stripped of his Oscar.

I don't think you can take his oscar away.  He "earned" that.  Not like you can give it to a runner up.  But kicking him out of the Academy is the right thing to do imo.

I find it odd that it took the Academy three days to say they asked Will to leave but he refused. It would be a crazy thing to lie about, and also seems like that should have been revealed on Monday at the latest? It would have made AMPAS look better and Will worse: they could say they didn't want to make a scene with security dragging him from the premises or whatever.

What you got was the Academy’s Twitter account posting Will's win like nothing had happened, then blandly condemning violence without naming names later that night. Will Packer did a flip tweet about the show not being boring. All the reports from the scene made it sound they were scrambling vs decisive, which seems about right for them. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I find it odd that it took the Academy three days to say they asked Will to leave but he refused. It would be a crazy thing to lie about, and also seems like that should have been revealed on Monday at the latest? It would have made AMPAS look better and Will worse: they could say they didn't want to make a scene with security dragging him from the premises or whatever.

What you got was the Academy’s Twitter account posting Will's win like nothing had happened, then blandly condemning violence without naming names later that night. Will Packer did a flip tweet about the show not being boring. All the reports from the scene made it sound they were scrambling vs decisive, which seems about right for them. 

The academy is just trying to make us forget they stood by and condoned violence.. even applauding it.

What kind of statement is that anyway.. “we asked the bad guy to leave and he said no so we did our jobs”

Imagine if law enforcement gave that excuse to their superiors.. they would be sacked on the spot.

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I don't think you can take his oscar away.  He "earned" that.  Not like you can give it to a runner up.  But kicking him out of the Academy is the right thing to do imo.

They can't. Yesterday it was confirmed in one of the articles about the Academy will do next that they can't take away people's Oscars. If they could they definitely would have the Oscars given to Roman Polanski and Harvey Weinstein (both of whom are guilty of far worse than The Slap) back by now. A temporary suspension of membership and banning him from fulfilling his Best Actress duties at the next Oscars seems like the way to go.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

You can say that about anybody who buys into conspiracy theories.

I thought this would blow over in 24 hours, but it has not.

I though  Smith being striped of his Oscar was simply not going to happen, now it at least is a real possiblity. I think being striped of his acedemy membership but no the Oscar is the best Smith can hope for at this point.

People think this is just a momentary lapse of judgement by Will and just a random one off but there is a lot of conerns he sort of made violence against comedians okay if they tell bad jokes...

Which a lot of people on twitter have said and its a worry cancel culture may start to justify physical attempts to cancel people which is very dangerous.

Will Smith got a standing ovation so its very important he face consquences for his actions or this will happen again. 

Edited by Torontofan

Someone on Reddit crunched the numbers and looked at stats and determined that CODA is the first movie which would not have been nominated if there were only 5 movies but won with the 10 movie field thanks to a late surge and a field full of movies without any passionate support.

The 5 nominees would have likely been POTD, Belfast, WSS, Dune and King Richard

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Someone on Reddit crunched the numbers and looked at stats and determined that CODA is the first movie which would not have been nominated if there were only 5 movies but won with the 10 movie field thanks to a late surge and a field full of movies without any passionate support.

In that case then I'm guessing Best Picture really would've been either Belfast or West Side Story since the universe seems to be against Netflix lol.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Not sure about Dune. During the 5 era is there a movie that was nominated for best picture with no acting and directing nominations.  

Edited by Kvikk Lunsj

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

IMO it's hard to say, because if you know there are only five Best Picture slots, you might approach the entire campaign differently. I feel that CODA had higher nomination potential but Apple didn't go full throttle until after the nominations were out. Maybe if they'd been more aggressive earlier on, Matlin and Jones get nominations along with Editing, and it seems more like a traditional frontrunner. But then there’s also more time for a frontrunner backlash to build, and maybe Power of the Dog has time to recover.

It isn't always true that the movies with most nominations would have been the Top 5 in Best Picture. Even under the old system, you had a case like They Shoot Horses, Don't They? which somehow missed Best Picture despite 9 other nominations. It is fun to debate, though.

CODA win basically means best screenplay category is way more important than directing nomination now. You can basically have little to compete but once you lock in best screenplay win, that will overpower you to any frontrunner. See Argo and green book. To certain extent, three billboard would have won the race had its screenplay frontrunner status was not taken by get out in the end. Parasite also has its momentum gain after becoming frontrunner in best original screenplay, overtaking OUATIH. 

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

How would you even take away someone's Oscar?  Do you go to their home, kick their door down and take their trophy by force?

Olympics medals "must" be returned and surprisingly some are actually returned (I imagine by some people that wanted to keep a relationship with either the IOC or their national sport organization that asked them to do so).

There is only one revoked Academy Award in history and like for nomination being stripped they all have been for technical reason (actual year it should have been eligible and so on) never on personal ground, Harvey Weinstein still has his 1999 Oscar I think.

The time they did revoke it, the gave a new one to the second place and changed all the record everywhere, the actual statue is not having won the Oscar, you can find one in the black market if you want it I would imagine.

Edited by Barnack

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

They can't. Yesterday it was confirmed in one of the articles about the Academy will do next that they can't take away people's Oscars

I am not sure what that mean, they obviously can give an Oscar to the runner up and they can obviously revoke someone Oscar if they want too, like they did one time in the past (what could possibly limit them to do so ?).

They won't.

I dont think i can look at Will Smith the same ever again. he definitely needs to be expelled from the academy for a few years at the very least. It was disturbing to see that. I sympathise with his reasoning. I understand the media attention he has had the last few years about his 'open' marriage or whatever and the psychological impact it would have had on his mind. So the need to defend his wifes honour or whatever, I get it. But this was inexcusable. Physical assault on live tv against someone you have known for decades? unbelievable. He isn't a stranger to you. You also come from comedic background. You laughed too. Don't get angry after the fact buddy. wasn't even that good a joke. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Rock. He is a hit or a miss to me sometimes but he was very dignified in his response. I wouldn't have been able to carry on and would have walked of stage. 

I understand there are various viewpoints so I don't claim to think Chris Rock was in the right. I just don't think a person should be assaulted live on stage when the best thing to have done was not laugh at the joke. That would have hurt more to Chris and hurt his ego. I'm just wondering if this may become a trend of going up to comedians and attacking them. I don't know. Just my two cents. 

Edited by Omario