filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Oscars revisionism is the corniest thing. How is today's Oscar bait less accessible? If anything, it's MORE accessible--it's why the Academy pushed for the crowdpleasing, preferential balloting.

What's inaccessible about 1917, Little Women, Green Book, Ford v Ferrari? What's not compelling about these?

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Movies aren't inaccessible, they just aren't as big as ROTK and Titanic and some older winners. 18 years without a massive boxoffice hit winning the gold is too long. There were many reasonably successful winners (aka over 100M dom and/or over 200M WW). Parasite made 263M WW. The Departed 291M. Green Book 321M. King's Speech 427M. Etc. None of them inaccessible but none of them anywhere close to 1B.  How can I put it, winners aren't an event. ROTK win was the last event.

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

18 years without a massive boxoffice hit winning the gold is too long.

Avatar slipping too a small movie hurt here (not necessarily different than Private Ryan loosing back in the days, but that was in sandwich between other event movie).

But that my feeling, theatrically at least, even winners has big/bigger than most of the past are cluberred by the giant franchise of that year.

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

At this point I think the only thing that can really save the Oscars show is moving to streaming. The reason for punting some of the categories to before the telecast was to save up on time, and they still ended up with a show that went nearly 40 minutes overtime. Part of that can probably be attributed to everybody wanting the rest of the evening to go down stress-free after the awkwardness of The Slap, but it's becoming increasingly obvious each year where the real problems are that for some reason ABC/AMPAS aren't willing (or perhaps too ego-driven) to fix.

I repeat I don't think there are that many people willing to pay to see the Oscars.

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Worst post of the year already

And he has no idea of what is taught in film schools. They are mainly technical schools teaching you the basics of filmmaking, like  how to use a camera, how to edit a film, etc.The amount of time spent on the purely "creative" things like writing is fairly small.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Will Smith’s Post-Slap Oscars Acceptance Speech Spiked Audience by 600,000 Viewers

Will Smith's Post-Slap Oscars Acceptance Speech Spiked Audience - Variety

ABC looking at this and already planning a celebrity feud-fueled ceremony for next year lmao.

Maybe they should let the WWF produce the show...and if you are going t go that route hire professionals to do it.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And he has no idea of what is taught in film schools. They are mainly technical schools teaching you the basics of filmmaking, like  how to use a camera, how to edit a film, etc.The amount of time spent on the purely "creative" things like writing is fairly small.

He’s probably someone who acts as if politics never never involved in art until like 5 years ago LOL. Type of person who loves, like, Robocop but says movies are too political. People always complain about this and they’re the ones looking silly. People complained in 2005 because Brokeback. Weirdos. 

Who is he even complaining about? CODA? That’s a remake of a French film directed by a woman in her mid-40s. Yeah, I’m sure film school she attended 20 years ago really made her “woke”. And Jane Campion? A near 70 year old woman who’s been making films since the 80s and adapted a book from the 60s really was brainwashed by film school 

16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He’s probably someone who acts as if politics never never involved in art until like 5 years ago LOL. Type of person who loves, like, Robocop but says movies are too political. People always complain about this and they’re the ones looking silly. People complained in 2005 because Brokeback. Weirdos. 

Who is he even complaining about? CODA? That’s a remake of a French film directed by a woman in her mid-40s. Yeah, I’m sure film school she attended 20 years ago really made her “woke”. And Jane Campion? A near 70 year old woman who’s been making films since the 80s and adapted a book from the 60s really was brainwashed by film school 

I think the issue is Robocop is interesting premise, Coda is not to a wide audience? 

You can make political messages go to a wide audience, it just has to be interesting and acccessibile/appealing.

A lot of the best picture nominees are just not really interesting to a wider audience.

like this year the only film people really knew were Dune and Dont Look up? Dune released in an empty covid market and got a lot of attention and Dont Look Up was powered by Leo Star power and was a streaming film.

Like even 2019 was a packed field in comparison and go back to 2010 almost every film nominated was a big hit.

Like idk, before I used to almost watch every oscar nominated film and now its like 1-2 a year which is strange considering I watch many movies a year. 

Its just many of them just dont have interesting premise. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think the issue is Robocop is interesting premise, Coda is not to a wide audience? 

You can make political messages go to a wide audience, it just has to be interesting and acccessibile/appealing.

A lot of the best picture nominees are just not really interesting to a wider audience.

like this year the only film people really knew were Dune and Dont Look up? Dune released in an empty covid market and got a lot of attention and Dont Look Up was powered by Leo Star power and was a streaming film.

Like even 2019 was a packed field in comparison and go back to 2010 almost every film nominated was a big hit.

Like idk, before I used to almost watch every oscar nominated film and now its like 1-2 a year which is strange considering I watch many movies a year. 

Its just many of them just dont have interesting premise. 

CODA is not political lol.

It also has the best audience scores and ratings from the BP noms so you’re wrong, it’s broadly appealing to wide audiences. Literally why it won 

I just have to make a small correction.  Michael Moore got booed for attacking the Iraq War not the Afghanistan War.

Which in hindsight I think it's clear it was wrong to boo him for speaking the truth. We supposedly invaded because Saddam had WMD's. He did not. That war was straight up bullshit.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Avatar slipping too a small movie hurt here (not necessarily different than Private Ryan loosing back in the days, but that was in sandwich between other event movie).

And even that one lost to another massive hit if we keep inflation in mind. Shakespeare in Love or American Beauty might look comparable to the Argos and the Green Books in gross out of context but they were absolutely massive hits around the world, #8 and #6 respectively in their year worldwide. And as fall releases they were among the movies most people were watching in theatres for weeks before and after the ceremony

21 hours ago, Mr Terrific said:

Will Smith acted like an asshole last night and certainly earned a lot of criticism. 
I do take his apology at face value though. I parse celeb apologies pretty hard. This one left out the sly if-you-were-offended shit. His acknowledgement of what set him off managed to explain without trying to excuse. 

For something as serious as this that millions of people saw around the world live a throw away Instagram post co-produced by his pr team and not even done in video is totally the wrong way to do it.

Especially when he had the chance to do it properly on stage during his dumb speech about “doing it for love” and then going out and dancing like an idiot to his own songs like nothing happened.

Edited by VENOM

If we are talking about changes, go back to just having five best picture nominations.....the same as for every other category.

What is funny is how they keep making changes to try to appeall to the Younger audience, and they keep falling on their ass doing so. The "Fan Favorite" award this year is a good example of that. All it did was to highlight the mindless tribal warfare that has infected much of fandom today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dude, chill. I havent suggested anything is 'woke' so no need for strawmanning. And yes I love Robocop.