Eric Burnett

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

I just wanna add one thing, if you’re disappointed by this opening(when it comes) with whatever bar you set for yourself that’s completely fine, I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful to

anyone with my opinions. I set my bar a long time ago hoping for a 100m weekend. It’s fine if others don’t think that’s good but for me it works. I’m just looking towards the future movies with optimism. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

S-M homecoming opened to less than Ayer's suicide squad and Deadpool, the popularity of the character among hardcore fans doesn't mean a reboot will instantly pop off

Damn someone sensible 

6 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I mostly agree buts it’s coming off serious brand damage in the eyes of the general public

I dismissed suggestions of that before this, but I think that has to be seriously considered. I can’t think of many other reasons this would underperform. I just thought its strengths would overcome it - recognizable star, strong reviews, strong P&A, barren marketplace

It’s also been almost five years since Justice League and at least personally, it feels much longer with the pandemic and everything since. Homecoming came out barely three years after TASM2 which had performed much worse than the Snyder Batman movies did at the BO. And its star was a complete unknown (even if Iron Man was in it)

Edited by snarkmachine

Just now, snarkmachine said:

I dismissed suggestions of that before this, but I think that has to be seriously considered. I can’t think of many other reasons this would underperform. I just thought its strengths would overcome it - recognizable star, strong reviews, strong P&A, barren marketplace

It’s also been almost five years since Justice League and at least personally, it feels much longer. Homecoming came out barely three years after TASM2 which had performed much worse than the Snyder Batman movies did at the BO.

Homecoming had multiple advantages over The Batman:

People were familarized with Holland in Civil War

Shorter run time 

Much more family appeal

part of the most successful franchise in history 

• Like 6

Homecoming had the MCU but it also came out 3 years after his previous solo reboot. You can argue "fatigue" played a part in it's muted OW

This on the other hand is coming 10 years after the last one

Edited by DlAMONDZ

2 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Homecoming had multiple advantages over The Batman:

People were familarized with Holland in Civil War

Shorter run time 

Much more family appeal

part of the most successful franchise in history 

WB knew they were cutting off families with the runtime and the product. I’m just surprised they couldn’t make up for that elsewhere with adults

Pattinson should be a much bigger draw than an 18 year old Holland who had 5 mins of screen time in Civil War c’mon 

It's pretty crazy how each Spider-Man film kept decreasing domestically until his MCU debut. The ASM movies really got overshadowed by Avengers, TDKR, CAP 2, GOTG, DOFP, etc. I'm thinking back on those films and how much of a non event they were. Seems like you need a good hook if you're gonna reboot. Seeing Spidey interact with characters like Iron Man, Cap, etc was the hook I guess. 

The DC brand is in the dumps.

Look at the floppage of DC in 2021. 

Assuming DC can get huge openings again just because No Way Home made ungodly sums of cash is just wishful thinking. (I made the same mistake)

DC has to win back their audience again. And The Batman is a reboot during a pandemic that will be on HBO Max in a month.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Snarkmachine expected near 200million. 

Not even, but I thought it would easily clear 150m+ and maybe push for the March record. 

My mistake was thinking CBM were back after NWH. it’s clear now that was the exception not the rule

Edited by snarkmachine

23 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

The climate was so ripe for Batman to break out. It should not be opening below Deadpool, an R-rated movie of a B-list superhero. It’s fucking Batman! You would be hard pressed to name stronger IP.

correct. Chickens coming home to roost for WB. They lead the practice that has largely killed the movie going habit for the 25 and older crowd and its biting them in the ass now.

Um are we gonna pretend that's a good number and what are you hoping multiple will be?

250m domestic total would be pretty dogshit sorry. Damn I was hoping for a great OW. It's not horrific but it's not even decent either.

Edited by cdsacken

22 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

The climate was so ripe for Batman to break out. It should not be opening below Deadpool, an R-rated movie of a B-list superhero. It’s fucking Batman! You would be hard pressed to name stronger IP.

Yep, as a kid who loved Batman and Superman my whole life (loved them both just like Rafa and Fed) this is sad.

• Like 1