Eric Prime

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I'm getting flashbacks to Batman Returns. For those who don't remember, Batman Returns "disappointed" because of the astronomical expectations from the previous solo Batman movie (Batman 89). They blamed it on the movie being too dark for kids. So they scrapped Burton's Batman 3 and greenlit Schumacher's happy meal approved Batman Forever which did make way more money than Batman Returns but wasn't really made for older Batman fans and also lead to Batman and Robin.

I honestly don't know what WB will do if The Batman doesn't hit 300m DOM or 750m WW but we might not get a Reeves trilogy.

Anything over $100 million is great for The Batman, let alone over $130 million which is more likely. This is the first event-sized opening for DC and WB in quite some time. Some people are even acting like it's a failure and that sequels are in danger, ffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I had this conversation at work. People need to stop blaming Covid for their problems. It's been 2 years and it's time to move on. It just didn't do well

Here I disagree to the strongest

I was the last time in a cinema in 2019 (me having gotten 3 jabs, still wont go). Most of the people in my circle of friends also still do not go. Brother the same

Son & friends went only once during summer since it started

Yes, a lot of the GA do go if its possible, but there also a lot who still wont go.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

32 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Did I wake up to an alternate universe that an 110M and an A- cinemascore are considered bad? Boy i knew the drinks i had last night were some hard shit but damn...

110M and an A- are bad though :kitschjob:   

Luckily looking more like 135 and an A-, which is mid 👍

Edited by Villain Legion

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Anything over $100 million is great for The Batman, let alone over $130 million which is more likely. This is the first event-sized opening for DC and WB in quite some time. Some people are even acting like it's a failure and that sequels are in danger, ffs.

Acting like it’s a failure is silly and untrue. Acting like sequels are in danger is silly and untrue.   

But 100M would not exactly  be “event sized” in the year of our lord 2022. Lottttttta stuff has opened to 100+ adjusted. 140 is closer to event sized, it’s fairly subjective of course.

Edited by Villain Legion

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I dunno.

The numbers look okay then you remember MOS never got a sequel.

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I dunno.

The numbers look okay then you remember MOS never got a sequel.

There is no MoS sequel in Ba Sing Se. Within this timeline we are safe. Here, we are free.

Edited by Villain Legion

The only reason I place an asterisk next to those numbers is because theaters like AMC and Regal decided to stiff the ticket buying public and raise prices. One would expect to see an elevated return on that spike, yet the current projection is still hitting the low end of the estimates. Its definitely a consideration. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gitesh….

”Sources tell me #TheBatman  might be headed to around $58M today incl pre-shows. That will be 2nd biggest opening day #boxoffice for any film since 2019. Only #SpiderManNoWayHome was bigger with $121.9M. Wknd close to $140M possible for #Batman  as moviegoing is red hot tonight!”

Edit - just saw he posted this seven hours ago. Lol. FML. 

Regardless, don’t see how it misses $125 million if that’s the opening day. 

Edited by wildphantom