CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Resurrection is a fun, exciting ride. Much more like your average sequel we’re used to these days - even if that ‘thing’ at the end sucked so bad.

It really did (get) suck(ed out the hole).

Loved it. It was cute and nasty at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never really got the hate for the way that Alien 3 opens, it was made 7 years after Aliens so even if they’d kept Hicks and Newt alive they’d have had to recast Newt, as Carrie Henn would’ve looked noticeably older. Hicks and Newt dying immediately sets the tone, and if they’d kept them alive it’d have run the risk of just being a rehash of Aliens but in a prison.

• Like 2

Just now, SnokesLegs said:

I never really got the hate for the way that Alien 3 opens, it was made 7 years after Aliens so even if they’d kept Hicks and Newt alive they’d have had to recast Newt, as Carrie Henn would’ve looked noticeably older. Hicks and Newt dying immediately sets the tone, and if they’d kept them alive it’d have run the risk of just being a rehash of Aliens but in a prison.

Plus, this is a horror franchise. The whole gist of these movies has been one recurring actor, with a whole new cast to interact with and play off of. What else can you really do with Hicks and Newt anyways?

• Like 1

There are ways to write them out without killing them 

I don't really care for the whole "major supporting character gets killed off at the beginning of the next movie" trope in general, whatever genre it is. Didn't like it in Bourne Supremacy either but at least there there's an implication that they got a few years of happy off-screen coupleship in the interim. Beginning of Alien 3 basically renders all the emotional investment Cameron intended for them in Aliens naught, and everyone involved in the creative process has gone on record saying they were unhappy with how it turned out so I'm inclined to sympathize with that mentality.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

remember when Blomkamp was going to do an Alien 5 that retcon 3 out of existence but after Ridley canceled it a bunch of concept art leaked out and it was aliens again but with stupid-looking xenomorph guns and instead of a power loader Ripley fought the queen in dumb looking xenomorph mech suit?

Edited by cooldude97

Just now, cooldude97 said:

remember when Blomkamp was going to do an Alien 5 that retcon 3 out of existence but after Ridley canceled it a bunch of concept art leaked out and it was aliens again but with stupid-looking xenomorph guns and instead of a power loader Ripley fought the queen in dumb looking xenomorph mech suit?

I think Bolmkamp  has proven to be a classic "one hit wonder".

• Like 2

Touching on some other things in your filmic universe. This week we have Alien: Romulus opening — a film you have seen. What did you think of it? [Alverez has previously said Cameron has “seen the movie and loved it” and that he gave notes].

I saw a rough cut six months ago, so I’m sure it’s changed a lot. And I viewed it once. I gave some notes to [director Fede Álvarez]. He and I aren’t close pals. I mean, I wish him the best with it, but I think it’s been overstated that I had some big creative input to that film. I think Ridley [Scott] did because Ridley was an actual producer on the film. So I’m just putting it in perspective.

That was cold. I'm sure Ridley was as sincere in his praise, Fede doesn't recognize backhanded compliments.

Edited by Firepower
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I think Bolmkamp  has proven to be a classic "one hit wonder".

He still has potential, he should be given a 2nd chance with a mainstream sci fi action film again but on a leash like they are doing with Gareth Edwards and Jurassic Park. District 9 is still a great movie with Elysium having it's share of great moments. Hollywood could do with some of his visceral style. Persuade him to do a Dredd sequel or something

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I always think the problem with Alien v Predator is that while it worked in comics, the two are tonally different. 

i think the problem with the AvP movies was they got shitty writers and directors to make them and very little pre-production time,

AvP was rushed to shit because Freddy vs Jason was a huge hit the year prior, hell fox turned down a ridley scott written and James Cameron directed aliens movie to make AvP

Edited by cooldude97

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

That was cold. I'm sure Ridley was as sincere in his praise, Fede doesn't recognize backhanded compliments.

where is he trashing it

"I saw an unfinished cut and gave notes" isn't a backhanded compliment or a diss

• Like 1