CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

actually this is a great idea. How many people like those two movies? Hell I haven't even bothered to watch them because I hear they are total duds and will just ruin the series for you. 

Alien 3 is actually quite alright. I can even live with the 4th one, it's not that bad.

• Like 1

I did some checking, Neil actually never says that it is a direct sequel to Aliens or that he is treating it like the 3rd and 4th never happened, does he? But it will supposedly involve Ripley.

Anyway, a movie in the vein of Aliens sounds good.

Edited by Elessar

There's only one Aliens like there was only one Alien. Each installment always took the story and shaped it through a different tone/style for better and worse.(Because it's more interesting, the director can claim he got a vision of his own) I don't need an Aliens rip-off fanboy re-enactment. You either instill new blood or bust.

• Like 3

http://badassdigest.com/2015/02/25/neill-blomkamp-is-definitely-making-the-superman-returns-of-the-alien-franc/

Theres already people upset about ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection like this one.  If you're gonna do an Alien sequel WITH Sygourney Weaver, you absolutely have to ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection.  If you don't ignore Alien 3, then the only way you bring her back is with cloning and I don't think you want to have anyone thinking about Resurrection again.  If you don't ignore Resurrection, then Ripley has to be the stupid superhuman acid-blood clone from Resurrection with the bizarre personality.  I'm not really sold on the idea of doing this movie because Weaver is old and monster is dry after 4 films(6 if you include AVPs), but if you're going to do one with Sygourney Weaver, you absolutely have to ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection or you're severely hamstringing yourself creatively from the start.  This will probably be the blend of Alien/Aliens that the diehard fanboys always wanted and will just end up hating when they actually see it and compare it to Alien and/or Aliens

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

I did some checking, Neil actually never says that it is a direct sequel to Aliens or that he is treating it like the 3rd and 4th never happened, does he? But it will supposedly involve Ripley.

Anyway, a movie in the vein of Aliens sounds good.

Edited by Neo

So he is really going to pretend Alien 3 and Alien 4 never existed? What the hell.

EDIT: Yup, just read is gonna ignore the events of Alien 3 and pretend it never existed. For fucks sake, this is absurd.

Why? You do realize both Ripley and Hicks are dead by the end of Alien 3? If you're gonna do a straight sequel to Aliens, I think this is the best course of action. Absurd would be having two clones running around. I mean, it was silly enough with one.

Edited by The Stingray

I understand why they are doing this, but I'm not totally sold on the idea of breaking up the franchise. I don't think Alien 3 and (especially) Resurrection are at the same level as Superman III and IV or X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Last Stand.

But I guess that financially, it's better to have another big Alien movie (plus the two Prometheus) rather than whatever residuals Alien 3 and 4 could produce in the future.

• Like 1

The articles state it prominently but there's no actual quote from Bloomkamp. There's one quote from him that could be interpreted that way, though: "So it's Alien, Aliens, and then this movie".

Admittedly, it would be difficult to make sense if this would be a movie in-between Aliens and Alien 3.

Edited by Elessar

The articles state it prominently but there's no actual quote from Bloomkamp. There's one quote from him that could be interpreted that way, though: "So it's Alien, Aliens, and then this movie".

Admittedly, it would be difficult to make sense if this would be a movie in-between Aliens and Alien 3.

Pretty much that Alien, Aliens and this. Well Aliens 3 doesn't exist. Also must have miss CS.net article.

Edited by Neo

I dunno how much this is truth but my older brother used to tell me way back that at first they wanted to continue with Hicks as the main character in Alien 3, it would be about a big outbreak, featuring the military but Waever objected, she didn't want to play 2nd fiddle and that's how we got Alien 3.

• Like 1

Looks like ignoring continuity for franchises seems to be the new thing - this will ignore Alien 3 and 4, Terminator Genisys seems to be ignoring Terminator 3 and 4, Jurassic World most likely won't reference either The Lost World or JP3, I really doubt if we will hear anything about the prequels in SW7.

Looks like ignoring continuity for franchises seems to be the new thing - this will ignore Alien 3 and 4, Terminator Genisys seems to be ignoring Terminator 3 and 4, Jurassic World most likely won't reference either The Lost World or JP3, I really doubt if we will hear anything about the prequels in SW7.

Those are different cases. Terminator Genisys, Star Trek '09, X-Men: Days of Future Past...they actively changed the events of the previous entries, they didn't ignore them. You have to go through Wolverine 1, X1, 2, The Last Stand, The Wolverine, to get to the apocalypic future of DOFP.

However, this new Alien film is supposedly ignoring that Alien 3 and Resurrection ever existed. It's not like Ripley's clone from A4 is traveling to the past to change those events. This is the same case of Superman Returns continuing Superman II and invalidating III and IV.

There is no problem with The Lost World and JPIII, as well as the SW prequels. You are just assuming things there.