Turning Red (2022)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

New favorite Pixar movie, certainly up there with The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Inside Out, etc.

I like how frank this movie can be, like when Mei's mother accuses Devon (dairy clerk) of using drugs.

The climax was kind of a surprise for me.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Start was a bit jarring and the lead came of annoying but once the "turn" happens she is pretty good and emotional state is conveyed pretty well and love this movie was kind of fun and mildly edgy in a fun way that blends will with the theme of the movie. 

Some bits of the third act didn't come well together but overall I enjoyed the film.

Is it Pixar at its best . Not quite but still another solid Pixar outing.

A- 

The humor sells this for me a bit more than the emotional bits but it's still something I would watch again. As I said in the original topic, the music composition and blending is amazing. It's such a pity this wasn't in theaters.

I'd watch this over Brave.

• Like 3

An absolute delight. The script has a depth to it that we don't often find in kids fare, the message is presented well without any preachiness, the Toronto 2002 setting is used well, the jokes land, the soundtrack is great (I'm gonna be listening to those 4*TOWN songs for a while), the animation is beautiful (and would've been great to see on a big screen), and the voice performances (from newcomer Rosalie Chiang and the always wonderful Sandra Oh) are excellent. I'm not quite sure I would name it among Pixar's very best, but it's another winner that serves as a reminder of why they along with Disney remain the unopposed Kings of Animation. A-

• Like 3

Very surprised by this movie, was not a big fan of the trailers. but found this to be an above average Pixar film. very funny and gorgeously animated. loved how niche it was while still managing to appeal to wide audiences. It was a little edgy for a Disney film as well. A- 

• Like 1

It's no wonder Pixar movies are avoiding cinemas if they keep making them like this. Pixar need to go back to their roots and try making their movies fun again.

That mother was so unrealistically cringe too. If anyone had a mother that bad, they'd have ran away from home long ago

Ironically, ill give this a D+ as that's exactly what it was made for

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Tarintino said:

It's no wonder Pixar movies are avoiding cinemas if they keep making them like this. Pixar need to go back to their roots and try making their movies fun again.

That mother was so unrealistically cringe too. If anyone had a mother that bad, they'd have ran away from home long ago

*Slowly raises hand*

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Judging Staring GIF - Judging Staring GIFs

10 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Nah bro if you have a shitty home life, even if what Ming does isn't strictly realistic, the sheer trauma she puts on Mei is VERY real.

I just had a heart to heart with my mother about this movie and I had legitimate PTSD because my mother will NEVER realize how utterly she failed to protect me from trauma as a child.

And Ming doesn't even apologize for specific things that she did that were wrong in the end. She just find a new love language a little bit.

Edited by cannastop

The mother is basically every Asian mother, very typical. Actually the most unrealistic part of Ming is that she actually apologized to Mei in the end. Chinese parents don't apologize to their kids, they just say well it was for your own good you should appreciate how much we care, how ungrateful you are for not appreciating what we do for you. Actually I've read reviews from China where people are complaining that the mother is unrealistic for being too understanding and supportive. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1