Steele131

Weekend thread (3/11 - 3/13) | The Batman 66M. 50% drop, 2nd-biggest second weekend for WB | Uncharted 9.25, BTS 6.85, Dog 5.35, NWH 4.07

6 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Because box office does not equal profit. WB will get less than half of it's total box office (40-45% globally) and gross profit margin from other sources (VOD, HBO Max) will be even lower.

Also true but without getting into all of that, it's just simple enough to say 2.5x the total cost in box office/revenue. Since we don't know all of the "funny math" they use behind the scenes and when and where they will take certain tax breaks, etc etc. 

I’m definitely not saying this isn’t all true but doesn’t this mean most blockbusters are not making any profits and are barely breaking even? particularly recent dc films, including BVS for example? I just didn’t realize that I guess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Holidaycheer said:

I’m definitely not saying this isn’t all true but doesn’t this mean most blockbusters are not making any profits and are barely breaking even? particularly recent dc films, including BVS for example? I just didn’t realize that I guess. 

Nah because there's more to it than just box office. Here is an example (Avengers: Endgame) from the 2019 Deadline Most Valuable Blockbusters Tournament. You can read this and get an idea of everything that goes into making/distributing a film and how they make money from it. Obviously Deadline is using their best knowledge for this and doesn't have "actuals" but it's a good tool to learn from.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/avengers-endgame-movie-profits-one-year-anniversary-of-marvel-record-box-office-1202917380/

Edited by KnucklesXXR
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AnDr3s said:

anyone knows whats the break even point for the batman?

If a movie makes triple its production budget it’s safe to say it made money. Might be some outliers like if it completely flops domestically but gets 200 mil in China or something like that, but it’s a pretty safe rule to follow

28 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Batman will be profitable for WB, keep in mind that since they own the IP fully they benefit from revenue from licensing as well. 

I have never seen so much Batman merchandise in my life and he is the most merchandised superhero here in Brazil BY FAR (tied with Spider-Man) for as long as I can remember. I guess Batman and Spider-Man will wider their gap as the two most popular superheroes in the next years.

Edit: All of Spider-Man merchandise goes to Disney right? Sony just owns the movies revenue..?

Edited by Flamengo81
  • Like 1

I have a theory. I think the lack of ties to the DCEU allow The Batman’s legs to be better than the legs of some other superhero tentpoles. And this might be the case because with a film that isn’t connected to previous franchise entries other than by using new iterations of the same characters, there wouldn’t be as much pressure for audiences to see the film opening weekend as there’d be for films that are more closely tied to their relatives. Because these films are inherently popular no matter what, the numbers are still going to be high due to interest from fans and non-fans alike, but I think less pressure to watch previous films in advance of this film can be something that convinces audiences that it’s okay to wait and see it in theaters eventually; with the barren nature of this Spring season, Batman isn’t going anywhere, so the people interested in seeing it will eventually make time to see it.

• Like 4

No one has mentioned how good TB is doing on Letterboxd.

The score dropped to 4.2 but it's still at #78 in the all-time list. 400K votes tomorrow.

Wonder if Warner is going to listen to US critics or the public/cinephiles for this year Oscar season (remember that LB =/= IMDb).

Their only other options are Elvis and Don't Worry Darling. I don't know if they are going to buy something in Cannes. Certainly with TB being released in March its odds go to zero.

Edited by Lighthouse
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The score dropped to 4.2 but it's still at #78 in the all-time list. 400K votes tomorrow.

Wonder if Warner is going to listen to US critics or the public/cinephiles for this year Oscar season (remember that LB =/= IMDb).

Their only other options are Elvis and Don't Worry Darling. I don't know if they are going to buy something in Cannes. Certainly with TB being released in March its odds go to zero.

NWH has a 4.2 so Batman being similar is no surprise 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

NWH has a 4.2 so Batman being similar is no surprise 

Tbh i think it is. 

NWH is a rollercoaster generational movie with every cameos people want it to have, i have no surprise seeing everyone freaking out about it. 

The Batman is a way longer, moody, somewhat demanding movie that doesn't trully rely on anything outside of it's own story. So i was pretty surprised by the equally good reception.

• Like 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Tbh i think it is. 

NWH is a rollercoaster generational movie with every cameos people want it to have, i have no surprise seeing everyone freaking out about it. 

The Batman is a way longer, moody, somewhat demanding movie that doesn't trully rely on anything outside of it's own story. So i was pretty surprised by the equally good reception.

Letterboxd just has a lot of fans and young members receptive to superhero movies. Even Joker is 3.9

• Like 6

Just now, Dragoncaine said:

I truly think without the storm we would've been looking at a $30m Saturday. Right now I'm predicting 27-28m for today but would love to see it higher.

I think that too, but i'm expecting a sofrer drop too because of it.

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Letterboxd just has a lot of fans and young members receptive to superhero movies. Even Joker is 3.9

Yeah i notice that too. 

Some of the best but smaller movies of the year (to me of course) is getting only 3.6-3.8 there but some good blockbusters are heading above that easily. 

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Tbf Joker doesn’t exactly serve as a counter example for Oscar consideration.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The Batman will contest really strongly for makeup. That's probably going to be the big focus. Colin Farrell was well and truly unrecognizable and the Penguin prosthetics will likely be the centerpiece of the campaign. Won't be surprised with it being a makeup nominee next year. Especially considering the Penguin TV show will likely be premiering at around that time as well keeping the makeup top of mind.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, baumer said:

FWIW, I didn't care for this version of Batman, too dark and gloomy for my taste, but I'm still rooting for it to do gangbusters at the box office.  A strong box office is something we really need right now.  I hate seeing the places empty or lagging.  With NWH and now Batman, and even Scream and Sing, it looks like people are ready to come back for the right kind of movie.

Yes, the numbers are very good. Just a pity the film itself doesn't merit the success.

• Haha 2

Saturday evening update for The Batman, Salt Lake Cinemark Sugarhouse.

Final sales for shows up to 7:00 PM.

Today: 430 (15% bump vs. yesterday at the same time.)

One week ago at 7:00 PM: 667 (35.6% drop)

Comp to one week ago: $27.86M

Despite losing half of its showings in the biggest auditorium to BTS Permission to Dance (🤨),The Bat held up remarkably well today. SLC seems to be over-indexing so I don't trust that comp, but this movie loves to surprise, so...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1