Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

Just now, BruiseCruise said:

uncharted is not an original IP and lets be real reviews dont matter for action films, venom had a 30% on RT and made 860mil

Mark Wahlberg also isn't exactly a nobody...

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Mark Wahlberg also isn't exactly a nobody...

lmao nobody saw it for Mark Wahlberg. Everybody I know who saw it saw it for Tom. Maybe it's just my age group though. But Tom post NWH I think was a big draw lol. 

Edited by ban1o

23 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I still have no idea who this Josh Hartnett is and I only know who he is because Excel won't stop yapping about him. I'm half-convinced Excel made this dude up.

Not sure how old you are, but within pop culture, he was kind of like a male version of the 2010s babe Kate Upton - someone who seemingly blew up overnight primarily due to sex appeal and then disappeared after a few years at the center of main stream pop culture. He was a young actor who appeared in some very high profile films with serious roles within them but his fan base was mostly teenage / young adult women - much more what you would get from a pop singer than a movie actor. He was given a bunch of opportunities to take the next step in his career but basically retired. 

35 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I still have no idea who this Josh Hartnett is and I only know who he is because Excel won't stop yapping about him. I'm half-convinced Excel made this dude up.

I'm guessing you were too young when Pearl Harbor was coming out. You couldn't miss him, the Hollywood media really focused on him being the next big thing at that time. He was on shortlists for Batman and Superman at the time as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm guessing you were too young when Pearl Harbor was coming out. You couldn't miss him, the Hollywood media really focused on him being the next big thing at that time. He was on shortlists for Batman and Superman at the time as well.

Hartnett was the product of the Bruckheimer marketing machine and the media latched on, erupting his fame and opening all sorts of doors to him. For all the bad buzz that Pearl Harbor received, Hartnett really saw a bump after it. The film had a terrible love triangle at the center of it, and say what you will for the film, pretty much everyone preferred Hartnett's character to Ben Affleck in that movie, especially women. It is easy to forget, but Hartnett was absolutely more popular than Affleck from late 2002 onward once Bennifer part 1 started. Ben's career was legit. dead by mid 2003, just 2 years after Pearl Harbor was supposed to cement him as the top draw in Hollywood.

Which brings us back to the initial point of the conversation: actors who meet audiences through high profile roles in high profile films rise much faster than those we meet through tv or smaller films. Chalamet, Holland are clearly on that path, I suspect Butler and Centineo are next. Elordi is potential.

Edited by excel1

30 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Hartnett was the product of the Bruckheimer marketing machine and the media latched on, erupting his fame and opening all sorts of doors to him. For all the bad buzz that Pearl Harbor received, Hartnett really saw a bump after it. The film had a terrible love triangle at the center of it, and say what you will for the film, pretty much everyone preferred Hartnett's character to Ben Affleck in that movie, especially women. It is easy to forget, but Hartnett was absolutely more popular than Affleck from late 2002 onward once Bennifer part 1 started. Ben's career was legit. dead by mid 2003, just 2 years after Pearl Harbor was supposed to cement him as the top draw in Hollywood.

Which brings us back to the initial point of the conversation: actors who meet audiences through high profile roles in high profile films rise much faster than those we meet through tv or smaller films. Chalamet, Holland are clearly on that path, I suspect Butler and Centineo are next. Elordi is potential.

I only agree with Chalamet and Holland (maaaaaybe Butler too since he’s scoring high profile roles). Tom will be playing Spiderman for the next ten years at least so he’s going to stick around even if he’s in nothing but flops the rest of the time (see Hemsworth, Evans). Uncharted has made him a legit box office draw though so that’s already put him ahead of Hemsworth and Evans in half the time

Still think you’re smoking something potent re Centineo and Elordi. Their 2000s equivalent is like….Chad Michael Murray. Or Zac Efron if I’m being extremely generous. There is nothing more fleeting than the whims of teenage girls

And I’m not convinced about the power of DC to make stars, especially stars in third-banana roles. See Ezra Miller, Zachary Levi etc. Not even convinced about Marvel’s power to make stars anymore - Simu Liu isn’t a star, no one from Eternals popped, Brie Lardon’s career has gotten worse since being Captain Marvel. I think Chadwick was the last one

Edited by snarkmachine

1 hour ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

He was basically the Taylor Kitsch of the early 2000s. Aside from apparently @excel1, I doubt anyone is surprised his career ended up where it is because he was never going to give Leo any competition since the talent wasn't there.

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I only agree with Chalamet and Holland (maaaaaybe Butler too since he’s scoring high profile roles). Tom will be playing Spiderman for the next ten years at least so he’s going to stick around even if he’s in nothing but flops the rest of the time (see Hemsworth, Evans). Uncharted has made him a legit box office draw though and the only one of his generation so far

Still think you’re smoking something potent re Centineo and Elordi. Their 2000s equivalent is like….Chad Michael Murray. Or Zac Efron if I’m being extremely generous. There is nothing more fleeting than the whims of teenage girls

I think his point is valid in terms of potential. The key is to take the female fans with you and transition to getting male fans as well before losing the female fans. Efron and Chad Michael Murray didn't do that, or did it too late. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He was basically the Taylor Kitsch of the early 2000s. Aside from apparently @excel1, I doubt anyone is surprised his career ended up where it is because he was never going to give Leo any competition since the talent wasn't there.

Taylor Kitsch is the perfect example of a TV heartthrob who studios threw franchises at and where nothing stuck because he’s as bland as two wheaties 

I think this is Centineo and Elordi’s ultimate ceiling, not a Gosling type career lol

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Josh Hartnett was 100x bigger than Taylor Kitsch, be serious. There really isn't a great comparison for him in recent years to let the younger crowd understand. Hartnett had a HUGE fanbase with young women, not too unlike that of Leo post Titanic. Every girl aged 14-28 in America knew who Josh Hartnett was at the time. Imagine if Shawn Mendes was a decent actor? If you were a film producer, he was exactly the type of person you'd want as Superman. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3

Zac Efron's career faded due to a series of awful choices in the transition from Disney teen idol to a viable career as an adult. When your career choices largely consist of garbage, people will lose interest after a while.

Honestly I don't think anyone needed a crystal ball to see that most of the 2000s up-and-comers like Tom Welling or Jesse Metcalfe would end up fading into obscurity. As someone mentioned earlier, it was an odd decade in terms of shifting pop culture patterns. On the upside, we as a society are completely self-aware at this point that everybody knows about and wants to avoid ending up a Lindsay Lohan/Shia LaBeouf-style career cautionary tale.

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Josh Hartnett was 100x bigger than Taylor Kitsch, be serious. There really isn't a great comparison for him in recent years to let the younger crowd understand. Hartnett had a HUGE fanbase with young women, not too unlike that of Leo post Titanic. Every girl aged 14-28 in America knew who Josh Hartnett was at the time. Imagine if Shawn Mendes was a decent actor? If you were a film producer, he was exactly the type of person you'd want as Superman. 

Are you like his agent or publicist or something? Because I have never seen someone work overtime in trying to will a hypothetical comeback into existence this much lol.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Are you like his agent or publicist or something? Because I have never seen someone work overtime in trying to will a hypothetical comeback into existence this much lol.

I am a bitter Superman and box office fan still butt hurt about the untapped financial potential that unmade Hartnett/Anthony Hopkins/Robert Downey Jr Superman represents. It would be an insanely big box office hit. I remember it like it was yesterday - SPIDER-MAN exploding in 2002, myself knowing Superman should be much bigger - "Spider-man meets Star Wars"...instead we got SUPERMAN RETURNS.  :sick:  Even Batman Begins no doubt would have opened bigger had he been the lead instead of Bale. The uncertainty of not knowing about a sequel sucked.

I shouldn't have gone down this can of worms, but the nostalgic pull is too big. I am reading the test screening reviews for 40 Days and 40 Nights from Feb 2002 at AICN to make sure I am not misremembering. It matches my memory of Josh Hartnett's moment pretty well:

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/11583

I took my partner in crime DangerLady to see this movie, because I like Josh Hartnett's work, even when he's the only one on screen worth viewing (Pearl Harbor, Here On Earth). Plus my Lady likes the sleazy, sexy "R"-rated stuff & I like a good laugh.

Millions of girls will be watching this movie for Josh Hartnett. Every female friend I have is in love with this guy!

Ahhhh the mighty drawing power that may be Josh Hartnett, actually it was slightly disturbing, there were more single women there than singles night at the slappy lizard. It's like a Crossroads audience, but older by a few years; the film might be rated R but all that means is the teenage girls drag their parents along. A wolfpack of teenage girls corralled in halfway through, one of them remarked, "I hope we havent missed anything?" her friend next to her replied in sync to a shot of Josh Hartnett in his underwear bending over, "nah, looks like we came just in time." This really is what Miramax gets, for their entire ad-campaign revolves around cutesey-tootsey Josh Hartnett

Josh Hartnett is humorous at times but still I don't think that comedy is his strong point and really i am not sure acting is his strong point but that is a different review all together. 😂

Edited by excel1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I am a bitter Superman and box office fan still butt hurt about the untapped financial potential that unmade Hartnett/Anthony Hopkins/Robert Downey Jr Superman represents. It would be an insanely big box office hit. I remember it like it was yesterday - SPIDER-MAN exploding in 2002, myself knowing Superman should be much bigger - "Spider-man meets Star Wars"...instead we got SUPERMAN RETURNS.  :sick:

I shouldn't have gone down this can of worms, but the nostalgic pull is too big. I am reading the test screening reviews for 40 Days and 40 Nights from Feb 2002 at AICN to make sure I am not misremembering. It matches my memory of Josh Hartnett's moment pretty well:

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/11583

I took my partner in crime DangerLady to see this movie, because I like Josh Hartnett's work, even when he's the only one on screen worth viewing (Pearl Harbor, Here On Earth). Plus my Lady likes the sleazy, sexy "R"-rated stuff & I like a good laugh.

Millions of girls will be watching this movie for Josh Hartnett. Every female friend I have is in love with this guy!

Ahhhh the mighty drawing power that may be Josh Hartnett, actually it was slightly disturbing, there were more single women there than singles night at the slappy lizard. It's like a Crossroads audience, but older by a few years; the film might be rated R but all that means is the teenage girls drag their parents along. A wolfpack of teenage girls corralled in halfway through, one of them remarked, "I hope we havent missed anything?" her friend next to her replied in sync to a shot of Josh Hartnett in his underwear bending over, "nah, looks like we came just in time." This really is what Miramax gets, for their entire ad-campaign revolves around cutesey-tootsey Josh Hartnett

Josh Hartnett is humorous at times but still I don't think that comedy is his strong point and really i am not sure acting is his strong point but that is a different review all together. 😂

This weirdly enough reminds me of a random trailer selling Hollywood Homicide as starring "The guy from Six Days, Seven Nights and the guy from 40 days and 40 nights"

• Haha 1

Honestly this whole discussion reminds me of all the annual Vanity Fair Hollywood Issue covers that stretch all the way back to 1995. In particular the "ingenue/rising star" covers. Go look them up if anyone is bored. You'll find just as many faces you are familiar with as you'll find ones that fall under the "where are they now?" category.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

Nolan's Batman was bland aside from the ridiculous Bat voice. Josh Hartnett's performances were deemed good-to-great in Black Hawk Down, the underrated Sleven and that high school version of Othello. Everyone preferred Hartnett's presence to Affleck in Pearl Harbor. The problem Hartnett would have had as Batman would have been with die hard fans who would have complained about a male-model pretty boy type being cast. There would have been a section of fandom who would not have taken him seriously. Bale was the fan favorite throughout the casting process and brought some artistic credibility to the role thanks to his turn in American Psycho. Compared to Bale, Hartnett would have been a warmer, more handsome, more sincere, dare I say more likable Bruce Wayne than Bale's cold, tough, angsty portrayal but it definitely would have worked just fine, he was more than qualified for what the script called for. That one is actually pretty easy to call.

Superman, on the other hand, would have required an energy that we hadn't seen from him in anything.

In what universe is Josh more handsome than Bale?