Eric Prime

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

I have pretty mixed feelings about Monarch. First 3-4 episodes were great, then the next 3-4 episodes kinda sucked, then this final episode was pretty good and has me hooked for more. I might rewatch GvK this weekend which I thought was pretty sh1te in the cinema.

Does anyone know what Apple is like with renewing series? Do they have the same habit as Netflix of frequently abandoning shows after 1 season? The only other Apple show I've watched is For All mankind

23 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I have pretty mixed feelings about Monarch. First 3-4 episodes were great, then the next 3-4 episodes kinda sucked, then this final episode was pretty good and has me hooked for more. I might rewatch GvK this weekend which I thought was pretty sh1te in the cinema.

Does anyone know what Apple is like with renewing series? Do they have the same habit as Netflix of frequently abandoning shows after 1 season? The only other Apple show I've watched is For All mankind

Apple is a small streaming service that has an insane amount of money and typically renews shows. Unless a show was planned as a limited series or truly no one is watching it it’ll get renewed.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Monarch starts strong and ends strong with some pretty good eps in between.

Apple's honestly pretty good with renewing shows, even the expensive scifi ones...

For All Mankind (Sci-Fi) - 4 Seasons; TBD

Morning Show (Expensive Cast, Awards) - Renewed for 4th Season

See (Mamoa, Sci-Fi) - 3 Seasons

Servant (M. Night Thriller) - 4 Seasons

Foundation - (Sci-Fi) - Renewed for 3rd Season

Invasion (Sci-Fi) - 2 Seasons; TBD

Slow Horses (Spy Thriller) - Renewed for 5th Season

I have a good feeling about a renewal unless contracts or just the streaming bubble collapses.

18 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

King Of The Monsters WAS high art...to me, to me, tumi.

A lot of people didn't get it, but I did. ❤️  Rewatched Godzilla vs. Kong the other day, and I liked it more than I remembered.

Sorry, but I don't think there is much to get with KOTM;.

KotM had problems, but I truly believe it was a film made for Godzilla fans. That also happens to be its biggest fault.

I don't think it's as bad as people say it is. To date, it's the only non-superhero movie I watched at my local theater that received an applause at the end. It's a memory I'm fond of.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

KotM had problems, but I truly believe it was a film made for Godzilla fans. That also happens to be its biggest fault.

I don't think it's as bad as people say it is. To date, it's the only non-superhero movie I watched at my local theater that received an applause at the end. It's a memory I'm fond of.

from a GA and to a lesser extent critics perspective the problem with KOTM is the same problem with 2014 but worse is the fact the human story is nowhere near interesting enough to take screen time away from the most entertaining part of the movie which where the monsters, probably why GvK was better received because they knew the human stuff written for the film was not interesting enough to have long breaks between monster action (there's like 20-30 minutes of human stuff cut from the final film)  so they cut the film to just so the human stuff did it's job to move the plot forward 

King of the Monsters is one of the biggest dual edged swords on film to date. On one hand, the monster scenes are spectacular, with each of them having distinct and memorable personalities that shine through in their designs, facial expressions and movements. Dougherty understood the importance of that, and that's why they're the best parts of the movie. Unfortunately, the actual story surrounding them is pretentious drivel full of unlikable and/or insufferable clowns. One of them is even basically Rick Sanchez, a guy who shouldn't be anywhere near a movie that wants to take itself seriously and be a deep statement on climate change and the like. For all its faults, the 2014 reboot was not all that bad, just dull whenever Goji wasn't around after Heisenberg bites it.

There's a reason why Wingard is the only one who returned for a second helping, because he focused on what this franchise does best: awe, spectacle and exploration. That's what works about Skull Island, Godzilla vs Kong and the best episodes of Monarch. I went out of his movie far happier than Dougherty's, and am very pleased to see him back at the helm for another one. Hopefully he delivers again!

• Like 2

GvK isn’t my favorite film in the Monsterverse, but it’s difficult to argue that it yielded some desirable results for Legendary and WB. It’s little more than an excuse to bash action figures against each other, but unlike KotM, it fully embraces that and doesn’t bother pretending like it has anything meaningful to say. It’s short, to the point and delivered exactly what it promised. 

13 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

from a GA and to a lesser extent critics perspective the problem with KOTM is the same problem with 2014 but worse is the fact the human story is nowhere near interesting enough to take screen time away from the most entertaining part of the movie which where the monsters, probably why GvK was better received because they knew the human stuff written for the film was not interesting enough to have long breaks between monster action (there's like 20-30 minutes of human stuff cut from the final film)  so they cut the film to just so the human stuff did it's job to move the plot forward 

It's also arguably the closest to being a "traditional" Godzilla film. There are lulls in the action with exposition to explain just what Ghidorah and certain other creatures are. The difference is in what you said: Nobody cares about the human characters. It's in stark contrast to how I feel about the best Showa films, which did take the time to include human characters that made me root for them.

Hollywood has yet to tell a compelling Godzilla story with characters that make me feel that way and I've long accepted that we're not going to get one that does.

Edited by NoobSaibot

23 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Hollywood has yet to tell a compelling Godzilla story with characters that make me feel that way and I've long accepted that we're not going to get one that does.

It's  not just a Hollywood problem It's a Godzilla problem in general specifically when more then one monster is involved, I can honestly say I can't think of one Godzilla vs film where the human stuff is just as interesting as the monster stuff, even the director of minus one recent said he would have a difficult time making a human story good if there's more then one monster as the human characters would have significantly less personal connection with Godzilla. It probably why GvK and GxK mostly follows Kong since he's allowed To have a personal connection to at least one or 2 human characters 

Edited by cooldude97

3 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

It's  not just a Hollywood problem It's a Godzilla problem in general specifically when more then one monster is involved, I can honestly say I can't think of one Godzilla vs film where the human stuff is just as interesting as the monster stuff, even the director of minus one recent said he would have a difficult time making a human story good if there's more then one monster as the human characters would have significantly less personal connection with Godzilla. It probably why GvK and GxK mostly follows Kong since he's allowed To have a personal connection to at least one or 2 human characters 

I would agree, but there are some films that were able to balance human character drama effectively with the monster action before Godzilla Minus One even existed.

Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ebirah (a.k.a. vs. The Sea Monster), Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and Terror of Mechagodzilla all come to mind. It can be done, but that requires prioritization of such writing. Spectacle is the driving point of these films, so any human characters will be mouthpieces to drive the plot forward and nothing more.

7 hours ago, AJG said:

I’m kinda almost certain Friends and Minecraft are more valuable than Godzilla.

Minecraft grosses around $1.5B per year in games & merchandise sales. Toho annual revenue is $300M. I think its fair to say its far more valuable than godzilla.

Edited by Avatree