AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

27 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know why anyone would act like this film has nothing political to say. It clearly does. It just doesn't go out of its way to spell it out for you. The Texas/California thing is still silly, but the meaning behind it isn’t difficult to grasp. 

It definitely has political things to say, it’s just not the political things that some people going into the film expect it to say based on their preconceived notions of what they think the film is/should be about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know why anyone would act like this film has nothing political to say. It clearly does. It just doesn't go out of its way to spell it out for you. The Texas/California thing is still silly, but the meaning behind it isn’t difficult to grasp. 

Anyone claiming this film is not political is lying through their teeth or hasn't actually watched the movie.

I had the debate in this thread before it came out about "sometimes the other side really is more evil" and while perhaps that might be true, the "good guys" still bear a responsibility to make a sincere effort to understand them if they truly have an interest in avoiding the situation depicted in the film. I do think it's realistic how most average people would 

forget about what exactly was being fought after awhile when the more immediate concern is how they plan to survive day to day. 

Hopefully the dichotomy between the pre and post release discourse really throws into relief just how myopic and irrational certain online arguments are about it, and maybe it actually can help move us to actually cooling the temperature in this country in some form.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AniNate said:

I had the debate in this thread before it came out about "sometimes the other side really is more evil" and while perhaps that might be true, the "good guys" still bear a responsibility to make a sincere effort to understand them if they truly have an interest in avoiding the situation depicted in the film. I do think it's realistic how most average people would 

forget about what exactly was being fought after awhile when the more immediate concern is how they plan to survive day to day. 

Hopefully the dichotomy between the pre and post release discourse really throws into relief just how myopic and irrational certain online arguments are about it, and maybe it actually can help move us to actually cooling the temperature in this country in some form.

reading american reddit or online comments is deeply concerning, people really wish people who dont agree with them to die. 

Edited by Torontofan

does anyone have a list of INT releases? I'm trying to vaguely stich them together because A24 refuses to update. At 4M out of 4.3M (6 out of 18 markets)

edit: up to roughly 4.25 (or possibly 4.2M) out of 4.3M  with 8/9 of 18 markets accounted for

https://old.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/1c6crp9/civil_war_made_slightly_over_4m_int_on_its/

Country Initial Release Date Weekend of 4/12 gross
Australia 4/11/2024 $679,963
Netherlands 4/11/2024 $333,025
New Zealand 4/11/2024 $129,183
Russia (CIS) 4/11/2024 $595,195
South Africa 4/12/2024 $0
United Kingdom 4/12/2024 $2,271,726
Bulgaria 4/12/2024 $12,560
Romania 4/12/2024 $29,487

Poland has another ~200k (I could only find admits so I paired it with a rounded up version of their 2023 average ticket price)

sources on reddit because it's easier. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
switched table format

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

does anyone have a list of INT releases? I'm trying to vaguely stich them together because A24 refuses to update. At 4M out of 4.3M (6 out of 18 markets)

https://old.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/1c6crp9/civil_war_made_slightly_over_4m_int_on_its/

Country Initial Release Date Weekend of 4/12 gross
Australia 4/11/2024 $679,963
Netherlands 4/11/2024 $333,025
New Zealand 4/11/2024 $129,183
Russia (CIS) 4/11/2024 $595,195
South Africa 4/12/2024 $0
United Kingdom 4/12/2024 $2,271,726
Bulgaria 4/12/2024 $12,560

sources on reddit because it's easier. 

IMDB is not always correct, but their release info section is usually the most complete.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

IMDB is not always correct, but their release info section is usually the most complete.

Completely forgot about this. Thanks.

So at 10 markets I'm at 4.38M plus ~200k for Poland (11) with South Africa, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Philippines, Ecuador, Estonia, Vietnam left (with previews lumped into gross). 

12 hours ago, cinema pal said:

Well this is stupid. My sympathy and condolences to Garland who has no say in the matter obviously 

I call bullshit, but if that's true and Garland has no say, I hope A24 crashes and burns. AI has no place in studio filmmaking, and even less of a place in independent filmmaking. I hope creates working under A24 make a stink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, I guess the keyboard warriors found their new takedown angle, at least for this news cycle

You can like the film and be a Garland stan without dismissing people who don’t like the use of AI as “keyboard warriors.” It’s not like this is the first time a project has been criticized for using AI instead of artists. This film is barely on people’s radar as it is.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

You can like the film and be a Garland stan without dismissing people who don’t like the use of AI as “keyboard warriors.” It’s not like this is the first time a project has been criticized for using AI instead of artists. This film is barely on people’s radar as it is.

And I thought It was keyboard warrioring with that other movie too (I didn't even like the movie that much), and just like with that movie this controversy will fade once people get bored with it and need to move onto something else to be angry about.

AI has been with us for over half a century now, its emergence as a social media boogeyman is a relatively recent thing. I don't really care to get into that debate again as I've said everything about my position on it that I care to say already, but like it or not it clearly has some kind of practical use in the entertainment industry, among a bunch of others, and the resistance against it on principle is pretty much grandstanding imo.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

And I thought It was keyboard warrioring with that other movie too, and just like with that movie this controversy will fade once people get bored with it and need to move onto something else to be angry about.

AI has been with us for over half a century now, its emergence as a social media boogeyman is a relatively recent thing. I don't really care to get into that debate again as I've said everything about my position on it that I care to say already, but like it or not it clearly has some kind of practical use in the entertainment industry, among a bunch of others, and the resistance against it on principle is pretty much grandstanding imo.

Generative AI, in the way its being used in posters for this film, has not been with us for half a century. It's been with us for maybe two years, tops. There's nothing "practical" from a creative standpoint for a studio like A24 to be advertising a film using misleading artwork generated by AI and (possibly) cleaned-up by a human.

Like, even if you're okay with AI art, what's okay about advertising a film using shots that aren't even in the film, or even relevant? The film doesn't touch on potential AI manipulation in photojournalism, so why do these posters exist?