Eric the Minion

Air | April 5, 2023 | Amazon | Ben Affleck, Matt Damon | Getting a theatrical release

I had such a great time watching this movie. Old-fashioned but still a very effective feel good drama. This indeed is the first Oscar-hopeful film for year 2023. Viola Davis steal the show. 

One thing got me is the age rating. The R-rating look a bit unearned and the language doesn't seem to elevate the movie in a meaningful way. They can easily waterdown them to PG-13 like King Speech. It is such a waste if this kind of motivational drama couldn't reach wider audience.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I had such a great time watching this movie. Old-fashioned but still a very effective feel good drama. This indeed is the first Oscar-hopeful film for year 2023. Viola Davis steal the show. 

One thing got me is the age rating. The R-rating look a bit unearned and the language doesn't seem to elevate the movie in a meaningful way. They can easily waterdown them to PG-13 like King Speech. It is such a waste if this kind of motivational drama couldn't reach wider audience.

Is the under-17 crowd really much of an audience for a movie ultimately about business meetings between Nike executives and Michael Jordan's mom? They originally made Air for streaming, where it would play just fine alongside the TV shows geared to adults. The Big Short and Jerry Maguire were also R-rated, though Moneyball was PG-13. I can see how you could edit down the profanity but it probably wasn't worth the effort. I'm also glad they resisted the urge to throw in some random gratuitous nudity/sex since it was already rated R: that absolutely would have happened in the 1980s-2000s.

Air was super entertaining, but takes place in about four nondescript rooms. Are they for real with that $90 million budget? Whatever they didn't give to the cast/crew must have been spent on all the needle drops.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Do you really think this kind of movie would be appealing to most 13 year olds, especially gen z ones? This is old fashioned movie for adults, PG-13 wouldn't help it in any way, both box-office wise and creatively, it would be very silly to do compromises for audience segment that doesn't care about it in the slightest.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

My mother doesn't want to see it anymore because it's R-Rated. Like no one's getting shanked in the movie or anything, it's a handful of F-Bombs probably.

It means I don't have to take her because it doesn't interest me, so props there, I guess.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Do you really think this kind of movie would be appealing to most 13 year olds, especially gen z ones? This is old fashioned movie for adults, PG-13 wouldn't help it in any way, both box-office wise and creatively, it would be very silly to do compromises for audience segment that doesn't care about it in the slightest.

They would have toned down the language for the Utah market, except they're Jazz fans and wouldn't have gone to see a movie about Michael Jordan's shoe deal, anyway...

Here's the (spoilery) Kids in Mind guide to the movie:

https://kids-in-mind.com/a/air-parents-guide-movie-review-rating.htm

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They would have toned down the language for the Utah market, except they're Jazz fans and wouldn't have gone to see a movie about Michael Jordan's shoe deal, anyway...

Here's the (spoilery) Kids in Mind guide to the movie:

https://kids-in-mind.com/a/air-parents-guide-movie-review-rating.htm

Movie is too kind to John Stockton if I were tbh. :capmad

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Movie is too kind to John Stockton if I were tbh. :capmad

Glad the movie pretty much glossed over him, IRL I bet some higher ups were probably pushing hard for Nike to sign the "clean cut" Pacific Northwest guy.

It's going to be awkward if Air gets a SAG Best Cast nomination and the guy who plays MJ doesn't make the cut...

Just came back from the screening. Great fun. Very sharp script. Cast was brilliant. This should have a nice leggy run.

Agreed on the rating, this should have been cut to be much kid friendly, one scene tips it over which wasn't worth it.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I do think you could have cut the swearing to get a PG-13 but families aren't exactly the target audience for the film. 

But then you wouldn't have had the best scene in the entire movie lol (anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

But then you wouldn't have had the best scene in the entire movie lol (anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about).

That curse and swear in that scene was actually replaced by censor beep in my country. The yelling and screaming intercut with multiple censor beeps actually made the whole sequence a lot more funnier.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

That curse and swear in that scene was actually replaced by censor beep in my country. The yelling and screaming intercut with multiple censor beeps actually made the whole sequence a lot more funnier.   

That reminds me a bit of the Deadpool 2 special edition scene where he kept saying he wanted to "f---" Matt Damon (it was "fight").  That was more hilarious than anything else in either version of that movie.

Though, actually, I do think toning down the language could help a little. My mom, for example, won't see this b/c she doesn't like a bunch of cussing in movies.  It puts off some older people (broad generalization). May not be worth it box office wise, idk, but yeah. It isn't just about the kids. There are a lot of adults who just don't want that kind of thing in movies they go to. Tbh, I don't even remember there being a lot of bad language in this one, though. Maybe I'm just so jaded now, I don't even pick up on it?

14 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

Though, actually, I do think toning down the language could help a little. My mom, for example, won't see this b/c she doesn't like a bunch of cussing in movies.  It puts off some older people (broad generalization). May not be worth it box office wise, idk, but yeah. It isn't just about the kids. There are a lot of adults who just don't want that kind of thing in movies they go to. Tbh, I don't even remember there being a lot of bad language in this one, though. Maybe I'm just so jaded now, I don't even pick up on it?

58 F-bombs and derivatives, according to Kids in Mind, plus other milder obscenities. Not quite Goodfellas but well past the PG-13/R language threshold.

My mom would also probably like this, but would complain about the swearing afterwards.

• Like 1