YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Isn’t something like Wonder Park, an original, animated, younger-skewing - and ultimately forgettable - Spring release a better analog than the Adams Family type comps that are being thrown around? Would suggest an OW in the neighborhood of $25 million, rather than $30+

Fair point but I feel Wonder Park was more so an anomaly especially because it went head to head with an MCU movie. Nor did Wonder Park have the WOM Bad Guys is looking at. Not impossible either though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SupermanLego said:

Have you not seen its weekday figures. 66% yday, 51% before that. It sure is a trend.

The Batman will be Warner’s 5th top Domestic Grosser of all time. I don’t think they care rest is all bonus for them. Its a massive succes for them and sequels will be billion grossers for sure with the reception this one has gotten. 

15 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What a quick death for a promising franchise. I doubt even Statham can save 4. 

was it though? This was mostly built as a Stallone comeback vehicle and the buzz of seeing all the macho guys of yesteryear in the same movie. Even if the sequels were better it would have run its course well before expendables 4 was greenlit.

Glad about the Northman not doing terrible. With the constant doom and gloom the last couple of weeks I really feared this was heading to Last Duel level of bombage.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Joel M said:

was it though? This was mostly built as a Stallone comeback vehicle and the buzz of seeing all the macho guys of yesteryear in the same movie. Even if the sequels were better it would have run its course well before expendables 4 was greenlit.

Honestly surprised they decided to make another one. Shows how desperate Lionsgate is for a franchise. They should have just stopped at Expendables 2.

‘The Bad Guys’ Doing Good At The Weekend Box Office With $21M+ Opening

FRIDAY EARLY AFTERNOON: Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s The Bad Guys is looking to win the weekend with $21.5M, while the studio’s sister label Focus Features’ The Northman is coming in at the top of projections with $12.4M in fourth place. Bad Guys is eyeing close to $7M today at 4,008, while Northman is spotting $5M at 3,231.

There’s a fight for second between Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with $15M-$16M for the weekend. Dumbledore is in weekend 2 and could seeing its running total rise to north of $69M at 4,245 sites, while Sonic is headed for north of $145M in weekend 3 at 3,809 venues.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/box-office-northman-bad-guys-unbearable-weight-of-massive-talent-1235007973/

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Glad about the Northman not doing terrible. With the constant doom and gloom the last couple of weeks I really feared this was heading to Last Duel level of bombage.

the 2nd one still did 300m WW. If each one continued to up the ante with nostalgia and maybe a new popular current action star, it could have sustained. But the 3rd was PG-13 and leaked online while the Fast franchise overshadowed it as the popular macho franchise

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Everything Everywhere, currently at 21.5m, will pass Marry Me (22.4m) tonight and enter the post pandemic Top 10 For Original Films (live action). 

Not that it was this well-known IP, but Marry Me is adapted from a graphic novel:

http://marryme.keenspot.com/

The Northman is doing better than I expected (Last Duel numbers wouldn't have surprised me). Massive Talent seemed pretty niche, self-referential movies often are, it's not like Being John Malkovich was this massive box office hit.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eevin said:

over House of Gucci when??

Current live action original films (not counting books, remakes ala WSS)

1. Free Guy- 121m

2. The Lost City- 81m

3. Dog- 61.5m

4. Tenet- 58.5m

5. House of Gucci (true story)- 53.8m

6. Nobody- 27.5m

7. Wrath of Man- 27.4m

8. American Underdog (true story)- 26.5m

9. Respect- (true story) 24.2m

10. Marry Me- 22.4m (graphic novel?)

Everything Everywhere currently is 21.5m. 

Compared to adaptations, etc

Old- 48.2m (book)

West Side Story- 38.5m (remake/adaptation)

In the Heights- 29.9m  (adaptation)

Unhinged- 20.8m

Licorice Pizza- 17.3m

The Green Knight- 17.1m

French Dispatch- 16.1m

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Not that it was this well-known IP, but Marry Me is adapted from a graphic novel:

http://marryme.keenspot.com/

The Northman is doing better than I expected (Last Duel numbers wouldn't have surprised me). Massive Talent seemed pretty niche, self-referential movies often are, it's not like Being John Malkovich was this massive box office hit.

It's funny so many "original" hits still aren't original one way or another (book, true story, etc)

I never expected Last Duel numbers for Northman, not sure why anyone did. Tracking has better and the marketplace is much different from now that Oct 2021. And Last Duel had weaker reviews and more confusing marketing/plot. The 6m OW of Green Knight was always the goal for me

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

the 2nd one still did 300m WW. If each one continued to up the ante with nostalgia and maybe a new popular current action star, it could have sustained. But the 3rd was PG-13 and leaked online while the Fast franchise overshadowed it as the popular macho franchise

Forgot about the third being PG.-13. That was a really stupid decision. But anyway I think that particular brand of nostalgia and its main hook of old macho stars together always had an expiration date.

In comparison the Fast franchise also was riding a similar nostalgia/legacy wave from 4 onwards but also evolved into a different kind of franchise between 5-7, more than doubling its audience in the process 

A24's biggest films:

Uncut Gems- 50m (Dec 2019)

Lady Bird- 48.9m (Nov 2017)

Hereditary- 44m (June 2017)

Moonlight- 27.8m (Oct 2016)

Midsommar- 27.4m (July 2019)

Ex Machina- 25.4m (March 2015)

The Witch- 25.1m (Feb 2016)

Everything Everywhere- 21.5m

Will pass Moonlight this weekend or Monday at latest. Still not sure about 40+ but we'll see.

In August, Bodies Bodies Bodies should be 20+ as well. In May, Men is probably 10-15m ala X, It Comes At Night, The Lighthouse. 

This far, they'll have the new Ari Aster but little is known about it to see if it can reach Midsommar/Hereditary numbers. And they have The Whale which will be a Best Actor contender for Fraser

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This far, they'll have the new Ari Aster but little is known about it to see if it can reach Midsommar/Hereditary numbers. And they have The Whale which will be a Best Actor contender for Fraser

Isn't Disappointment Blvd like over three hours or some shit?

9 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Forgot about the third being PG.-13. That was a really stupid decision. But anyway I think that particular brand of nostalgia and its main hook of old macho stars together always had an expiration date.

In comparison the Fast franchise also was riding a similar nostalgia/legacy wave from 4 onwards but also evolved into a different kind of franchise between 5-7, more than doubling its audience in the process 

That's what the Expendables should have done. Gotten like Cage in the 3rd to jump off planes and shit. Just up the action and stakes next level

• Like 2