YM!

April 22-24th Weekend thread | Northman conquers $5m Friday, Mr. Wolf’s fine ass and The Bad Guys steal $8m, and Unbearable Talent has an unbearable start at $3m

29 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If Northman gets to 15m, Green Knight legs bring it to 38m-ish, Last Duel legs to 34. (15m would be higher than Last Duel's domestic total. Green Knight finished with 17m). 

Should be good for a top 5 OW for non-IP (live action)

Lost City- 30.4m (including sneaks)

Free Guy- 28.3m

Old- 16.8m OW (based on book)

Dog- 14.8m 

Gucci- 14.4m 3 day (based on true story)

Others:

Moonfall- 9.8m

RRR- 9.5m (true story)

Respect- 8.8m (true story)

Ambulance- 8.6m

Wrath of Man- 8.3m

Jungle Cruise is a Disney ride

If Bad Guys gets to 25m+, that would be close to Encanto's 3day and higher than Sing 2's 3 day, Addams Family, and Boss Baby 2

you forgot Tenet 20m extended ow pandemic record

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

The Northman gets B cinemascore

13 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Verified Score stand at 77% right now, which is not good but also not awful (for reference, TGK had 63% at the same point). I expect a B-/B

Called it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Asking Erick to think is asking too much of him

Hell.  I checked the CInemascore database: even Focus' another classic "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" only got B-.  (But that film also had good legs.)

5 minutes ago, John2015 said:

Hell.  I checked the CInemascore database: even Focus' another classic "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" only got B-.  (But that film also had good legs.)

Probably drew in a Jim Carrey fanbase who were expecting something similar to Liar Liar. I can only imagine how confused they must have been watching it back in 2004. 

A B Cinemascore is not bad for a movie like The Northman. I think legs will be okay. My friends who are very GP saw it last night and are already talking about seeing it again. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's very lenient what's considered original or not now lately lol. Even, technically, Northman isn't original.

Maybe let's just count anything that isn't MCU, DC, or a video game 😆

You 're right that if you start including stuff with asterisks we 'll end up debating every single stuff and how original it is. But at the same time I think dividing IP vs original stuff in regards to boxoffice has to do with whether a movie succeeds without the help of a pre existing fanbase or pre existing familiarity with the premise.

Even before our IP dominated times half of Hollywood projects were always based on literature or real life events. Some of them were famous enough to give the movie a push but most of them didn't.

Jungle Cruise is an IP as much as Rampage was a video game adaptation. Which technically they both are those things. But how much IP matters or even helps when 99% of the audience has no idea about it. And I'm not saying this for you to change the list you 're posting. it's v helpful as it is.

My main point is that anything that is based on source material isn't automatically IP or helped by pre-existing popularity. A biography of an icon like Elvis might be fair to be grouped with IP but most biographies aren't. Ditto a book that was a huge best seller vs just a book that got turned into a movie.

• Like 1

Cinemascore is such a bizarre metric in terms of the way people grade stuff. 

I mean I know most MCU films for example get an A or A+, but I’d have given the majority of them a B and I’m a big fan.  I mean a B or a B+ in my mind is really good! 

I try and see most of the major films every year and I’d probably only hand out anything in the A range about 10-15 times max in a really good year. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1