Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Any chance Sonic could still crawl to 200? Zero family comp until LIghtyear.

Unlikely with the Plus release Memorial Day weekend.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

As well as Doctor Strange 2’s huge opening, importantly we also have some holdovers dropping in the 30% range. 

Great numbers for The Bad Guys, Sonic 2, Lost City and Everything Everywhere All At Once.

With the lower half of the top 10 looking stronger the past few weeks, and summer season off to a huge start, we’re getting further and further away from “only one decent number per weekend”.

And I’m loving seeing it . 

2022  surpassed 2020's total annual gross this weekend.

• Like 3

The hand-wringing and bloviating is hilarious. The MCU is doing great and some occasional lackluster (i.e not even bad) entries isn’t suddenly going to change anything.

You’ve got 40-50 more films and 60-80 seasons/specials coming in the next decade so strap in you chucklefucks!

Edited by MaverickXXR
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

I mean I’m not worried about the MCU future now or in the next few years but I think eventually like everything diminishing returns will settle in.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

Even if they were Sopranos-level good, I would still be tired from all this. It's like eating pizza every day. Pizza's a great food, but if you eat it every day, the taste isn't special anymore. Having a Marvel thing out every week is bound to get people tired, even if they like everything that comes out.

People inevitably get tired of certain franchises (film and TV) and start to opt out. Slowly but surely. The difference here is Marvel's dominance has been so big and for such an exaggeratedly long period, many think they will remain on top of the mountain.

They won't, and I tend to think the Disney+ shows "helped." You most certainly can have too much of anything.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

NWH was ok. It had a lot of plot holes. It only did really well because old villains, old spidermen and because no huge film came out to hurt it's legs.  MOM its not a NWH level but it's not a true solo film either.  MOM had short cameos, if MOM had many more big cameos it would do NWH numbers because NWH is not a true solo Spiderman film. it's a big team up film. The only true solo MCU film that did 200m opening weekend was Black Panther.

190M to 200m with ok legs to bad legs for MOM would still give it around 400m. That's ok, look at Cap 3 numbers. It's not a true solo film and it made 1.1 billion and had ok legs

• Astonished 1

This is really based on nothing more than anecdotal experience, but this new batch of Marvel leads hasn't really engaged the fans like the OG Avengers did. Iron Man and Cap were beloved. Captain Marvel, Strange, Ant-man and Shang-chi (not to mention Eternals) just haven't been met with the same affection IMO, even if they did strong BO numbers.

T'Challa and Spidey are the exceptions but Chadwick's gone. I don't know if it's a casting thing or a reflection of the movies, but I think they need to be very careful about the F4 movie. They can't rely on Spidey alone to be the heart of the MCU. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

Man the last two pages are even funnier than the previous 10. Avengers 5 weekend gonna be good times.

17 minutes ago, MaverickXXR said:

The hand-wringing and bloviating is hilarious. The MCU is doing great and some occasional lackluster (i.e not even bad) entries isn’t suddenly going to change anything.

You’ve got 40-50 more films and 60-80 seasons/specials coming in the next decade so strap in you chucklefucks!

Notice how I never said MCU was going to be dead forever. I know for a fact the MCU will continue long after I'm dead.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Marvel has hundreds of thousands of unique heroes and villains they can make movies with that can be unique and different from other entries in the MCU canon. That's why it survives. 

Wait, what?

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, snarkmachine said:

Captain Marvel, Strange, Ant-man and Shang-chi (not to mention Eternals) just haven't been met with the same affection IMO, even if they did strong BO numbers.

Bcumberbatch has the charisma of a potato. He looks like he's not enjoying it. I'm sure the money is good, but he looks uncomfortable, he's not selling it lol

• Knock It Off 1