Eric is Anxious

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

Just now, poweranimals said:

Possibly. Did Puss in Boots 2 get any IMAX screenings?

don't think so.

It had a bunch of medium-sized weekends. I don't think Elemental will have the same legs.

Elemental is confirmed to be in Dolby Cinema format though.

I guess there really isn't an embargo on this movie...

Judging by Inside Out, people can just write reviews of the movie when they see it. Quite a few reviews of Inside Out were published on the day of the premier at Cannes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Judging by Inside Out, people can just write reviews of the movie when they see it. Quite a few reviews of Inside Out were published on the day of the premier at Cannes.

Seems like the right call. This movie could use all the hype it could get.

12 hours ago, cannastop said:

Will there be any IMAX screenings of Elemental?

All other Pixar movies, even Luca and Turning Red have "Optimized for IMAX" in the credits.

It would make sense if this one had it too.

Even Moana had some IMAX screenings, if I remember.

After both Lightyear and Strange World bombed I doubt anyone will even bother. Exhibitors will simply hand over 95% of the premium screens to The Flash.

9 hours ago, JWR said:

Seems like the right call. This movie could use all the hype it could get.

What I got from the trailer was it seemed to be a combinaton of "Monsters Inc" and "Inside Out".

How well this worked remains to be seen. But the days when Pixar was pretty much a Rolls Royce company are long gone. They have done this share of mediocre films over the past 12 years of so.

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What I got from the trailer was it seemed to be a combinaton of "Monsters Inc" and "Inside Out".

How well this worked remains to be seen. But the days when Pixar was pretty much a Rolls Royce company are long gone. They have done this share of mediocre films over the past 12 years of so.

Pixar has released 1 film under 75% RT outside of the Cars trilogy (Lightyear at 74%). Ditto films under 60 on Metacritic (Lightyear at 60)

On Metacritic I'd say over 70 is typically very good/great territory. They do have 5 films under that mark (outside of the Cars films). They have 8 films in the last 13 years over 70 on MC.

• Like 3

They’re the most consistent studio at making good to great movies of the past quarter of a century. I don’t doubt Elemental will be excellent, but how it’ll do is another matter that’s nothing to do with Pixar - but more their overlords messing with their distribution the past few years. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

It's annoying that marketing has gone quiet again but I guess Disney is focused on Guardians and Mermaid. They really need to start ramping things up next week though.

The film's not out for another month, they'll ramp it up in time. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cannastop said:

There isn’t, one of the rules to go to a festival is no embargo 

There will be 15 reviews or so on MC the next day after Cannes 

This movie is a bomb waiting to happen. Even good reviews won't be able to save it. It will make less than Lightyear at it's current date. Pretty much no parents are going to take their child to TLM, Across The Spider-Verse, and Elemental in the span of 4 weeks. They'll choose one, if not two of those two. Not to mention CBMs like the Flash and Guardians are also popular with kids.

It should be moved to the last weekend of July (Haunted Mansion goes to October) or August. Maybe then it will not be a complete flop.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Disbelief 1

11 hours ago, Bob Train said:

This movie is a bomb waiting to happen. Even good reviews won't be able to save it. It will make less than Lightyear at it's current date. Pretty much no parents are going to take their child to TLM, Across The Spider-Verse, and Elemental in the span of 4 weeks. They'll choose one, if not two of those two. Not to mention CBMs like the Flash and Guardians are also popular with kids.

It should be moved to the last weekend of July (Haunted Mansion goes to October) or August. Maybe then it will not be a complete flop.

I don't think the competition will matter much. Elemental I think is going to aim for a younger crowd than the suoerheroes.

And by the time Elemental comes out, The Little Mermaid and Spider0Verse 2 will have already made most of their dough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Eh. At least it's not out the very next week after Spider-Verse. Parent take kids to movies. Should do fine if good. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh. At least it's not out the very next week after Spider-Verse. Parent take kids to movies. Should do fine if good. 

It's not like multiple movies aiming for the same demographic are going to bring each other down.

You can look at say, Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets, both in summer 2016

• Like 1