Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I hear you on all of the above and even agree, but at the end of the day the reality is there are only a handfull of people that actually care and even less that think it matters.  The numbers are there for headlines and headlines only.  It isn't fair, but it is what it is.  

Truth is not dependent on how many people care. But I can relate to where you are coming from... It's hard to swim upstream, and that's what I tried to do with Box Office Mojo...

We should just always try to keep 'em honest, whenever we have the opportunity... which is where this latest drama started on Friday when I sent that email to Deadline.

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

The only thing I would make a point on is that no matter what there is never a true apples to apples comparison.  As much as we can say that At World's End was bigger or more popular because it had a much higher attendance out of the gate than Maverick did, you also then have to say that Maverick had to deal with a completely different set of competition.  

There was pretty much nothing going on entertainment wise back when that POTC came out.  Streaming didn't even exist at that point.  Maverick had to contend with the release of Stranger Things and Obi-Wan Kenobi on its opening day.  It had to compete with like half a billion combined streaming subscribers and a dozen high quality platforms.  This in addition to all the traditional entertainment like sports, water recreation, etc....

I think it is actually far more impressive what Top Gun: Maverick pulled off despite having less people see it.  

I didn't claim that it was complete apples-to-apples... The point is that we should make it as apples-to-apples as we possibly can, and the main way to do that is to consistently adhere to reality and definitions.

My policy was never to replace the $$$ charts with estimated attendance charts. It was to have estimated attendance as a toggle feature or another chart.

When I say At World's End had greater attendance, I didn't say it was more impressive than Top Gun: Maverick... The degree of "impressiveness" is a different topic, taking in that broader context you're referring to... But, as a foundation, all of the facts have to be straight.

https://www.clubhouse.com/club/box-office-revival

Edited by Brandon Gray
  • Like 10

what a weird daily trend for sonic2. The movie basically benefit nothing from holiday as Sunday week-to-week hold was in line with Saturday and worse than Friday. Similar trend for BG. 

BG

2022 5 $1,255,350 +121% -15% 2,944 $426   $77,998,250 36
May 28, 2022 5 $1,778,940 +42% -36% 2,944 $604   $79,777,190 37
May 29, 2022 5 $1,348,500 -24% -29% 2,944 $458   $81,125,690 38
May 30, 2022 - $1,239,325 -8% +110% 2,944 $421   $82,365,015 39

Sonic 2

27, 2022 7 $661,507 +104% -29% 2,329 $284   $183,280,833 50
May 28, 2022 6 $1,010,717 +53% -45% 2,329 $434   $184,291,550 51
May 29, 2022 - $781,851 -23% -41% 1,758 $445   $185,073,401 52
May 30, 2022 - $650,386 -17% +56% 1,758 $370   $185,723,787 53

7 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Actuals are in, fantastic holds through out the weekend. 

Friday $52,012,661

Saturday $38,017,701 (-27%)

Sunday $36,677,097 (-4%)

Monday $33,807,521 (-8%)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Top-Gun-Maverick-(2020)#tab=box-office

Nice...

So Top Gun takes the "4-day"

But Pirates keeps the "3-day"

(with previews 128.0 vs. 126.7 OR without previews 114.7 vs 107.4)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

Nice...

So Top Gun takes the "4-day"

But Pirates keeps the "3-day"

(with previews 128.0 vs. 126.7 OR without previews 114.7 vs 107.4)

But the MDW is important for the 4-day performance. If not, it’s just another weekend but with an inflated Sunday.

Numbers aside and who won what, Maverick’s performance is way more impressive than Pirates 3. Different league. 

like @EmpireCity put very well, the fact it has opened to $160 million with its target audience not showing up in anywhere near these kinds of numbers since before a worldwide pandemic - staggering.  As incredible as any weekend we’ve ever seen. Let alone that they managed to make an amazing sequel to a film that came out in 1986 that’s generated such phenomenal buzz right through the weekend, and no doubt beyond. 

One thing’s for sure…the Cruiser will be leaving AWE’s total for dust in under two weeks

johnny depp pirate GIF

Oh Yeah What GIF by Regal

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Did AWE sell more tickets than The lost world back in 97. That movie crushed the OW record. 

Came close. Average ticket price was 50% higher in 2007 versus 1997.

Also, AWE had the widest release ever at the time: est. 11,500 screens at 4,362 theaters.

Lost World was at 3,281 theaters.

Edited by Brandon Gray
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I liked what Fox did with Logan’s first 10:23pm showing (for “X23”), that kind of “late, but not too late” time felt like a decent compromise between midnights and a regular screening. Trailers/ads started at 10pm, film at 10:23pm.

I used to love midnight showings, the recent Star Wars ones were fantastic experiences, but then I started getting older and after a day at work I just can’t handle them anymore. Forcing myself to stay awake until 3:30am for Endgame nearly killed me.

My only midnight release I've ever seen was Dead Man's Chest back in 2006. I agree I prefer waiting until the next day, I like my sleep more than actual films!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

You can't really compare attendance today with what was years ago. Should we compare number of seats sold today to what Gone with the Wind sold? The reality of box office is vastly different these days. Streaming is at a high, it's a miracle movies are still playing in theaters these days. They have to compete with streaming which movies even several years ago didn't have to. People's habits of going to theaters have changed so much the last several years

Again, just trying to get the baseline facts straight... We try to be as apples-to-apples as possible... Changes in market conditions doesn't mean you start pretending money made on Tuesday and Thursday was made on Friday.

You need that baseline to analyze these trends or to judge the "impressiveness" of one movie versus another.

(And I agree that Top Gun: Maverick is more "impressive" than Pirates 3.)

Edited by Brandon Gray
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

Also, AWE had the widest release ever at the time: est. 11,500 screens at 4,362 theaters.

Lost World was at 3,281 theaters.

yeah that Lost World number was incredible. If I remember correctly @Brandon Gray it was one of the first examples of theatres using interlocking to project the same print in more than one screen at roughly the same time? 

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised that the US doesn't really have the boutique cinema experience like in the UK. I suppose the Alamo Drafthouse is similar but it's an alternative to the multiplexes with PLFs.

Everyman chain in the U.K. is doing gangbusters. It’s a cracking business. Every friend I’ve introduced to it now frequents it for at least half their visits now. It’s well worth the premium and the best way to see those movies that don’t quite need the PLF grandstanding. 

The types of crowds older moviegoers dread potentially encountering when they go to a film are entirely absent from the boutique experience. 

40 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised that the US doesn't really have the boutique cinema experience like in the UK. I suppose the Alamo Drafthouse is similar but it's an alternative to the multiplexes with PLFs.

It does.  There are a number of dine in options.  Alamo Drafhouse, Studio Movie Grill, iPic, Cineopolis, Moviehouse, Flix Brewhouse, Star Cinema Grill, etc....

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Brandon Gray said:

Population increased by 10.5% in that decade and the CROI was 29.2% are you taking these factors into account too? 

7 hours ago, M37 said:

What I’m really getting at is this: it’s easy to look at top line grosses of the big openers and think BO is OK, there just isn’t enough product out. I’ve made that argument too. But perhaps these tentpoles have done so well precisely because there has been such separation between them; the breakouts came largely during an overall dry spell (Shang-Chi, Venom, NWH, Uncharted, TG2 most notably).

Is 3 weeks after a 190M opener really a dry spell? Doesn’t seem comparable to the rest of those.

5 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Even a 160.5m 4 days weekend box office giant can't get this thread 100 pages.....

Even a top 12 opener couldn’t get us 100 pages, top 40 certainly wasn’t gonna do the trick.   

Maybe if dominion overperforms.