Eric is Quiet

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The Exorcist released at a perfect time for such a movie to be a phenomenon i think. Horror movies in the 50s and 60s were really ... tame compared to what came after them and the 1970s saw the arrival of a new wave of horror movies that shattered previous norms for the genre: Now they were gruesome and in your-face and The Exorcist was the frontrunner.

Also, the 70s were a time of social change in the U.S and ive read various articles that analyzed the success of The Exorcist through the lense of conservatism and catholizism in the US not "understanding" the youth anymore and old values beeing under attack. Megan represents the out-of-control young generation who must be "possessed" by "demons" because otherwise, society as a whole could be questioned. Thats why the movie resonated so well with audiences who felt that something in the american society must be wrong and the demon in the movie functions as a scapegoat, i. e. an explanation.

Ofc, one can disagree with that analysis, but ive always found it very interesting.

Yup! Agree with all of this... Love this video below. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, T-ReXXR said:

Man, Firestarter fell off the fucking cliff this weekend. Anyone know the record for the biggest 3rd weekend drop ever, because we're looking at over 86% on this. 

Technically 100%

EDIT: Prob record Here for something not wiped from theaters after 2 weeks

Edited by M37
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Does Superman appeal to the young? I think if anything Superman reads as old fashioned. Even more old fashioned if it starts playing Americana.

As others have pointed out...Superman has already HAD a perfect version done, at the perfect time, with the perfect aesthetic and the perfect casting. And it did immensely well, but not even in the vicinity of 100m tickets.

Superman is evidentally less popular than Spider-Man or Batman. And probably Wolverine. I'd give all those a shot before Superman. 

As someone who was around for Titanic...I just don't see it happening again. Culturally we don't work in that pace anymore. Certainly young people don't.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I still think the craziest movie that sold an overwhelming number of tickets is The Exorcist. I think with inflation it's just over 1B DOM. I mean, I still can't wrap my head around that movie selling that many tickets. It's mindboggling. Not because I don't love it... I fucking love that movie especially the theatrical cut. But, wow. That movie?!? That's nuts to me.

Audiences are so different nowadays. That type of movie would end up on a streaming platform, no theatrical release. Jaws and Star Wars really changed the game and the ticket sales have only moved further and further toward the action genre in the last 45 years. 

Other than Titanic's insane run at the global box office, Forrest Gump's domestic run is probably the most impressive performance of the last 30 years. It's not an action movie, yet it sold almost 80 million domestic tickets in 1994. Action franchise style movies were firmly entrenched by the mid 1990's, so that performance is pretty damn insane. 

• Like 3

I'm always fascinated by films that explode because they landed at the right time. One example which is UK specific is The Full Monty which was a low budget British film but landed in the UK the weekend Princess Diana died and I think perhaps it was the perfect tonic for such a tragic event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'll have to look into Black Phone but I agree here. I can't imagine Nope and Elvis not at least doing well but hopefully both do very, very well. Bullet Train I can see being a miss with audiences but the cast is huge so that should help. I'll have to dig into what Crawdads Sing is all about.

Why do you think Bullet Train can be a miss?🥲

I'm confused how people here are like "Disney is petty lol lol lol" because like...Pirates 3 is the bigger opening. That's a fact. That film's Thursday gross totally counts for the opening much like how Top Gun's Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday count. Disney isn't trying to brag, they're giving a totally valid correction that a lot of people neglect and ignore.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

I'm confused how people here are like "Disney is petty lol lol lol" because like...Pirates 3 is the bigger opening. That's a fact. That film's Thursday gross totally counts for the opening much like how Top Gun's Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday count. Disney isn't trying to brag, they're giving a totally valid correction that a lot of people neglect and ignore.

My counterargument:

no

2 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

People just like to dunk on Disney, the particulars of the situation are immaterial 😛 

31 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I still think the craziest movie that sold an overwhelming number of tickets is The Exorcist. I think with inflation it's just over 1B DOM. I mean, I still can't wrap my head around that movie selling that many tickets. It's mindboggling. Not because I don't love it... I fucking love that movie especially the theatrical cut. But, wow. That movie?!? That's nuts to me.

Today’s family films just can’t compete with the all time classics! 😅

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Need other studios to start being petty when a disney movie does something well at the box office, would love for Paramount to post about how titanic sold twice as many tickets as BP2 will if it beats its domestic gross again

Funny enough, it actually happened when Pirates 3 opened. There was controversy over the "worldwide opening" number for Pirates 3 compared to Spidey 3. Sony & Disney squabbled in the media over it. 

6 minutes ago, Thena said:

Why do you think Bullet Train can be a miss?🥲

I guess I've seen other flicks by the filmmaker miss like Atomic Blonde. It did fine but wasn't as big as expected. By the way, Atomic Blonde is my favorite film by him. Also, and I absolutely hate saying this, I think a lot of the general audiences look at it like something that could've went straight to streaming. I certainly don't but others will. I think Brad Pitt being the lead is huge though. Sandra Bullock is in it too, no? That will help. I personally hope it blows up at the box office but I don't see it blowing up. I expect something like 50jM to 75M DOM for it. I'm hoping it somehow does 100M+ DOM though.

That Netflix Gray Man nonsense will likely steal some of it's thunder too. Disappointing that that one isn't a major theatrical release.