EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder if Paramount is gonna use this success to push it for awards (or at least a strong #2 behind Chazelle's Babylon). The original scored a number of Oscar nominations (including Film Editing) so voters might gravitate towards it more than most tentpoles. Guess it all depends on how strong Avatar 2 ends up being.

Tom Cruise should he given an Oscar for this movie has a career achievement award similar to John Wayne’s win for True Grit 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

Friday:

The sequel is playing broadly: In weekend 2 PostTrak, Top Gun 2 is seeing 38% over 45, the 25-34 crowd delivering the best attendance yesterday at 23% and 35-44 at 20%. Still marvelous exits at five stars and a 74% definite recommend. Men over 25 were big yesterday at 41% (97% grade), then women over 25 at 39% (96% grade), with men and women under 25 at 10% (respectively 93% and 82% grades).

Opening Weekend:

Updated demos are 58% guys, 42% women. The under-35 repped 45%, which is promising, considering that the sequel is appealing to a wider demo. Those over 35 repped 55%, while the 18-34 segment repped 37% of attendance. Diversity demos were 66% Caucasian, 16% Latino and Hispanic, 7% African American, and 7% Asian.

Combining the demo data snippets, does not really appear to be shifting all that much younger, from OW to yesterday:

18-34 37% --> 33%

Over 25 87% --> 81%

But the bigger shift in audience may be in gender, where it was 58% male overall on OW, but at least for over 25, it was closer to an even split yesterday (41% vs 39%). That's probably why we're seeing such an incredible hold: WOM has expanded the audience pool, turning it from an male-skewing action flick to more GA movie

Going to add from that, that while I do believe TG2 is stealing at least some of what could have been JWD's thunder, the fact that it continues to skew older and (presumably) whiter still leaves open the door for a "surprising" OW. The teens, for whom @Shawn said previously said tracking was very high, really haven't had much to watch of late, other than maybe Bob's Burgers and MoM for the 2nd/3rd/4th time. And they are notoriously late ticket buyers ...

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

Tom Cruise should he given an Oscar for this movie has a career achievement award similar to John Wayne’s win for True Grit 

NO. I'd rather him not win any Oscars than get a "pity" award

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Going to add from that, that while I do believe TG2 is stealing at least some of what could have been JWD's thunder, the fact that it continues to skew older and (presumably) whiter still leaves open the door for a "surprising" OW. The teens, for whom @Shawn said previously said tracking was very high, really haven't had much to watch of late, other than maybe Bob's Burgers and MoM for the 2nd/3rd/4th time. And they are notoriously late ticket buyers ...

Is Jurassic World's audience more diverse? Like MCU diverse?

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Paramount's top Oscar play in this year is "Killers of the Flower Moon". 

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

That's not Par, it's Apple i believe

"Killers of the Flower Moon" will be released by Paramount (even though Apple financed the film.)

Paramount also didn't finance "The Wolf of Wall Street" and "Hugo", but they still worked very hard on those film's Oscar campaigns.   Paramount will probably work very hard on "Killers of the Flower Moon"

Edited by John2015
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John2015 said:

The film will be released by Paramount (even though Apple financed the film.)

Paramount also didn't finance "The Wolf of Wall Street" and "Hugo", but they still worked very hard on those film's Oscar campaigns.

No this is completely wrong. Apple will be distributing the film.

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

350.png

33 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Pirates 1 got away with pigeonholing two of the worst lead actors in modern Hollywood into roles that suited them, but 2 and 3 were horrendously hamstrung by Knightly and Bloom. And Sparrow was diminishing returns the moment he became the lead and not the supporting character he was in 1

It's been years since I've seen these movies, and I don't even think I've watched them all, but are you saying that Jack Sparrow basically Urkel'd Pirates of the Caribbean?

Family Matters 90S Tv GIF by Warner Archive

18 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Yeah, if it follows Civil War it'd get 9.7M.

Oh, wow. That would actually be a really nice, soft drop. I imagine it won't hold quite that well but with what you said I'd almost imagine 9M+ this weekend for Strange is locked in. Not too bad. Late legs are solid it seems. Shame they couldn't give it 60 day rather than 45 window before it's free on Disney+ Pretty much release it on Disney+ right before Thor 4... I don't see why there's a rush. to get it there on 6/22... Something like 7/6 would've been fine and more reasonable.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I just googled. Apparently, Par is the distributor WW

Yes.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/behind-martin-scorseses-killers-flower-moon-apple-deal-1296394/

Apple’s recent decision to plunk down give-or-take $200 million for the dark period piece Killers of the Flower Moon. (Those involved may quibble with that number but if history is any guide, it’s low.)

Yes, Scorsese and DiCaprio are hard to resist, except it turns out that even pre-pandemic, Paramount did resist this movie — or at least the version that the filmmaker and star are determined to make. As the studio pulled back, Apple struck a deal to cover the hefty budget while Paramount distributes the movie in theaters worldwide. Apple subsequently will stream it.

Edited by John2015

7 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Excluding 2020 for obvious reasons (Bad Boys 3), last time a non-Disney movie was #1 domestic of the year was...

American Sniper in 2014

Ironically lol.

Last time Paramount won the year?  1997 with Titanic!

On 5/12/2022 at 2:45 AM, titanic2187 said:

Dream bigger,TG2 as the highest grossing film for paramount since titanic.

I was just joking! 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassic-world-dominion-opening-weekend-international-box-office-1235037351/

SATURDAY UPDATE: Universal/Amblin Entertainment’s Jurassic World Dominion is off to an early start at the international box office that’s landing in line with the previous two films of the rebooted franchise. Through Friday, the Colin Trevorrow-directed JWD has grossed $25.9M from 15 overseas markets. As noted yesterday (see below) Blue and the crew are eyeing a $50M+ opening across these initial plays. In like-for-likes and including previews, 2015’s Jurassic World did $47.3M while 2018’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom came in at $59.8M.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Is Jurassic World's audience more diverse? Like MCU diverse?

Not on MCU level, no;  really not much is, which is why they dominate box office. I couldn't find a diversity breakdown for Fallen Kingdom (Anthony seemed to be mailing it in a bit that weekend) but Jurassic World wasn't all that diverse.

54% of those watching JW were Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, 14% Asian and 8% African American. 

But generally, monster movies - similar to horror - tend to bring out a more diverse audience. Here was Venom, for example:

Diversity demos were 40% Caucasian, a very strong 29% Hispanic and Latino turnout, 16% Black and 15% Asian/other