EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

5 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Hopefully this movie’s success inspires lots of Scientologists to fly to Ukraine and take up arms :sparta:

If Scientology brought world peace, would we all have to join the church and become Tom's slaves?

• Astonished 1

Saw Top Gun 2 for a second time again last night. Even better the 2nd time around.

If I ever rent out a movie theater to watch a movie for the hell of it, I’m just going to ask for the final act looped together 8 times.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

this is more just you ascribing your own sensibilities onto the current crop of blockbusters, many of which have been very well received both critically and financially (even if they don't meet your personal standards)

i think it's more that it is actually very hard to make a great movie; too many moving parts to guarantee the process

of course studios are super risk averse these days which doesn't help and holds back a lot of great stuff that would've been made in yesteryears but i think that's kind of a separate issue

I mean you're absolutely right. I far preffered the time with Pirates / LOTR / Harry Potter and of course Avatar to 2010s New Star Wars / MCU era, thinking about it actually hurts a little. I basically only liked 3-5 out of all the MCU / New Star Wars films taking the big budgets, theres been over 30 of them.

Though I think there are arguments you can get into about the quality of the films, even though its subjective. I won't here.

ANYWAY Avatar franchise gonna take over the 2020s just watch. Tom Cruise is paving the way bringing people back to the cinema who hadn't been going since the beginning of the pandemic.

• Like 3

As incredible as Top Gun 2's performance is, it's still an exception rather than the rule. I also imagine Doctor Strange 2 being as divisive as it was helped this movie akin to Jumanji vs. The Last Jedi.

Regardless, this year has been surprisingly encouraging for movies that can't rely on the damn near invincible Marvel brand. Scream 5, Uncharted, The Batman, Sonic 2 etc. We certainly won't be getting a repeat of summer 2019 anytime soon. At least until Marvel starts building to a Secret Wars movie.

21 minutes ago, Eric Mitchell said:

You can go to Wal-Mart right now and get some Top Gun toys: https://www.walmart.com/browse/shop-by-movie/top-gun-toys/5920738_4420550_8993170

Aside, if you seriously think the people who greenlit this movie were like "yep, we are totally making this movie just to make a good movie. Certainly not to coast on nostalgic goodwill and sell merchandise, no sirree Bob", I greatly envy your naivete.

Nostalgic goodwill yes, famous IP yes, but not every big IP is toy IP, aircraft toy is a miserable merchandise compared to many other big films where they actually have enough content to make toys out of it. Alien franchise, for example, has much more merchandise, but at least first Alien movies weren't created just to sell toys. There's a difference between selling some merchendise based on a movie and creating a movie solely as a cynical toy commerical just to sell those toys, happy meals and (modern extension) market cinematic universe/10000 spin offs/sequels/crossovers.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

If next Thor does over $400m, Jurassic World 3 $500m and Black Panther like $600m people will run out of money by the time Avatar 2 comes out. ;) 

its ok santa claus will give tickets for christmas

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

As incredible as Top Gun 2's performance is, it's still an exception rather than the rule. I also imagine Doctor Strange 2 being as divisive as it was helped this movie akin to Jumanji vs. The Last Jedi.

Regardless, this year has been surprisingly encouraging for movies that can't rely on the damn near invincible Marvel brand. Scream 5, Uncharted, The Batman, Sonic 2 etc. We certainly won't be getting a repeat of summer 2019 anytime soon. At least until Marvel starts building to a Secret Wars movie.

That situation will only result in Feige bringing back RDJ and Chris Evans that much sooner. It’s evident people don’t care as much for Phase 4.

33 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I'm surprised how well Top Gun is doing, honestly. I enjoyed it but had i not seen the numbers now i would have never called like $500m DOM for this. The script was quite cliche ridden and trite to be honest and after seeing the 10th fly by or Cruiz getting shaken in the cockpit it kinda wore thin. And the faceless enemy wasn't ideal either. But i'm happy that it's this movie and not the nth comic book movie that is doing this well.

It seems to be running at a 50/50 Dom/int split. I haven't checked release dates in all the regions but this could actually make a billie worldwide, insane.

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

ANYWAY Avatar franchise gonna take over the 2020s just watch. Tom Cruise is paving the way bringing people back to the cinema who hadn't been going since the beginning of the pandemic.

Honestly i woudnt mind Avatar imperialism on the box office (which is ironic phrasing i just realized lol), because it may (!) just show studious that giving the right director enough money to make the movie he/she envisions can lead to big successes.

Wishfull thinking probably, but i also totally prefer the 2000s decade box-office-wise to the 2010s and a sort of comeback of bigger Non-MCU-Superhero-Blockbusters would make me very happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Honestly i woudnt mind Avatar imperialism on the box office (which is ironic phrasing i just realized lol), because it may (!) just show studious that giving the right director enough money to make the movie he/she envisions can lead to big successes.

Wishfull thinking probably, but i also totally prefer the 2000s decade box-office-wise to the 2010s and a sort of comeback of bigger Non-MCU-Superhero-Blockbusters would make me very happy.

I miss the 1990s and early 2000s... :(

• Like 2