EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

Haven’t been excited to follow a box office ran in a long time. I hope it wins the summer crown, although the year crown will hopefully go to Avatar 2. 
As long as it passes that godawful Dr. Strange movie, I’m happy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I also think the performance of this movie is going to change the conversation of “is the movie star dead” for years to come. No way in hell this movie did anywhere near these kinds of numbers without Cruise.

No way in hell this movie would also make anywhere near these kinds of numbers if it wasn't based on a nostalgic property. I know that Cruise was needed to get these numbers in these insane ballpark, but I'm lost why this is the movie where people are all "OMG STARPOWER IS BACK FOREVER" when the real reason is that this is just yet another nostalgic toy commercial...which are the only movies that make money anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eric Mitchell said:

No way in hell this movie would also make anywhere near these kinds of numbers if it wasn't based on a nostalgic property. I know that Cruise was needed to get these numbers in these insane ballpark, but I'm lost why this is the movie where people are all "OMG STARPOWER IS BACK FOREVER" when the real reason is that this is just yet another nostalgic toy commercial...which are the only movies that make money anymore.

so much cynicism lol

I'm surprised how well Top Gun is doing, honestly. I enjoyed it but had i not seen the numbers now i would have never called like $500m DOM for this. The script was quite cliche ridden and trite to be honest and after seeing the 10th fly by or Cruise getting shaken in the cockpit it kinda wore thin. And the faceless enemy wasn't ideal either. But i'm happy that it's this movie and not the nth comic book movie that is doing this well.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

it's not entirely wrong but i don't think top gun is a huge toy mover lol

The Top Gun movies are lowkey just Navy recruitment videos. You get a lot of toys when you're in the Navy. Therefore, nostalgic toy commercial. Boom!

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

TGM’s success will definitely result in several attempts at imitation/replication. If they can also bring massive profits — then you’ve got a new trend. If they don’t, it’s just a one-off where the stars aligned.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Mitchell said:

The Top Gun movies are lowkey just Navy recruitment videos. You get a lot of toys when you're in the Navy. Therefore, nostalgic toy commercial. Boom!

""""""""""""""""""""lowkey""""""""""""""""""""

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, krla said:

You mean the thing like this, where they had the weekend, weekday and weekly option?

KGpjMmD.png

That’s a blast from the past, amazing! 

Top Gun Maverick’s success is more than just “make a good film” and star power. It’s a lightning in a bottle moment. 

14 minutes ago, Eric Mitchell said:

It's nostalgic, but definitely not toy commercial, they actually cared about making a good movie with artistic value unlike so many modern blockbusters and especially The Rock's and Sony's Marvel stuff.

• Haha 1

Just now, Firepower said:

It's nostalgic, but definitely not toy commercial, they actually cared about making a good movie with artistic value unlike so many modern blockbusters and especially The Rock's and Sony's Marvel stuff.

You can go to Wal-Mart right now and get some Top Gun toys: https://www.walmart.com/browse/shop-by-movie/top-gun-toys/5920738_4420550_8993170

Aside, if you seriously think the people who greenlit this movie were like "yep, we are totally making this movie just to make a good movie. Certainly not to coast on nostalgic goodwill and sell merchandise, no sirree Bob", I greatly envy your naivete.

• Sad 1