EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

OT: But for the battle of the kids' movies this summer.  I went to my pool and checked the swim team's schedule this year.  Only one movie day for the team (of 90 kids) in mid-July, and the selection is Minions.  Take note of that for summer legs...

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Pirates 3? Creative?

"Jack Sparrow's really popular, lets' have a sequence where there are a million Jack Sparrows"

"Everyone says Jack Sparrow is a Keith Richards impersonation....so let's, like, totally have Keith Richards in it as his dad". C'mon.

Pirates 1 got away with pigeonholing two of the worst lead actors in modern Hollywood into roles that suited them, but 2 and 3 were horrendously hamstrung by Knightly and Bloom. And Sparrow was diminishing returns the moment he became the lead and not the supporting character he was in 1.

And the attempt at a 'sombre opening' at the gallows in 3 is crass and ridiculous.

Yeah. There's junk like that. The story is pretty unintelligible too. BUT visually it and two others Verbinski did, especially DMC, are some of the inventive and awesome displays of blockbuster filmmaker this century. The score for each is wonderful too. Sweeping stuff. But, yeah, there's junk in the treasure chest for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Pirates 3? Creative?

"Jack Sparrow's really popular, lets' have a sequence where there are a million Jack Sparrows"

"Everyone says Jack Sparrow is a Keith Richards impersonation....so let's, like, totally have Keith Richards in it as his dad". C'mon.

Pirates 1 got away with pigeonholing two of the worst lead actors in modern Hollywood into roles that suited them, but 2 and 3 were horrendously hamstrung by Knightly and Bloom. And Sparrow was diminishing returns the moment he became the lead and not the supporting character he was in 1.

And the attempt at a 'sombre opening' at the gallows in 3 is crass and ridiculous.

At Worlds End is an amazing mess of a movie. It has ideas for 2 other films cramped into it and while the pacing suffers a bit from that (movie is long and you feel it), it nevertheless makes for a hell of an entertaining ride. You would clearly disagree it seems, but ive always found the Jack stuff in Davy Jones Locker hilarious and indeed creative. Way more creative than most of the stuff MCU movies do.

Also Davy Jones is like Top 10 Cinema characters since the year 2000 and his lovestory with Calypso is one of the most interesting side plots of any movie trilogy i can think of. Tragic love story with fantasy elements done right.

The original three Pirates movies were never afraid to be extremely weird and out there. I confess that i didnt really like AWE until 5 or 6 years ago. But still today, theyre growing on me.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 5

I always hope the domestic total box office can stay above 100m consistently from memorial weekend until the weekend of July 15 (the second weekend of THor4). This weekend and June 24 are the two weakest weekend that I have worry about if the continuous $100m gross is doable in this summer.

Since DS2 failed to lift total box office to above 100m in their second weekend, I guess no way TGM can achieve that but turns out I was deeply wrong and I am happy this weekend total will likely stay at around 120m and DS2 will have its first weekend drop of <40%. 

I’ve only seen the first Pirates of the Caribbean film and I’m… happy to leave it there lol. 

Does tracking point towards $150m+ for Jurassic World? I wouldn’t be surprised with $120-130m, if the overseas start is anything to go by, I’m not sure why it would be opening to more than the last one domestically. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Friday:

The sequel is playing broadly: In weekend 2 PostTrak, Top Gun 2 is seeing 38% over 45, the 25-34 crowd delivering the best attendance yesterday at 23% and 35-44 at 20%. Still marvelous exits at five stars and a 74% definite recommend. Men over 25 were big yesterday at 41% (97% grade), then women over 25 at 39% (96% grade), with men and women under 25 at 10% (respectively 93% and 82% grades).

Opening Weekend:

Updated demos are 58% guys, 42% women. The under-35 repped 45%, which is promising, considering that the sequel is appealing to a wider demo. Those over 35 repped 55%, while the 18-34 segment repped 37% of attendance. Diversity demos were 66% Caucasian, 16% Latino and Hispanic, 7% African American, and 7% Asian.

Combining the demo data snippets, does not really appear to be shifting all that much younger, from OW to yesterday:

18-34 37% --> 33%

Over 25 87% --> 81%

But the bigger shift in audience may be in gender, where it was 58% male overall on OW, but at least for over 25, it was closer to an even split yesterday (41% vs 39%). That's probably why we're seeing such an incredible hold: WOM has expanded the audience pool, turning it from an male-skewing action flick to more GA movie

• Like 1

I wonder if Paramount is gonna use this success to push it for awards (or at least a strong #2 behind Chazelle's Babylon). The original scored a number of Oscar nominations (including Film Editing) so voters might gravitate towards it more than most tentpoles. Guess it all depends on how strong Avatar 2 ends up being.

"Crimes of the Future" - $1.7 million weekend in 773 theaters

(Some friends and iSpot confirmed that the film did have TV spots in US.   But some friends also stated that the film have bigger TV marketing in Canada.  No wonder why the film performed better in Canada.)

https://deadline.com/2022/06/top-gun-maverick-box-office-tom-cruise-record-1235038177/

The other prolific opening of the weekend is NEON’s moderate (Comscore had it originally listed on the calendar as wide) release of David Cronenberg’s kinky dystopian surgery Crimes of the Future which is eyeing $1.17M in tenth place at 773 locations in 146 markets or $1,5K theater average. The pic scored a six minute standing ovation at its Cannes Film Festival world premiere. It’s Cronenberg’s first movie since 2014’s Maps to the Stars. A 78% fresh rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and a divided result from those who bought tickets at 51%. I hear that the movie did OK in big cities on the coasts and Canada, but the further you got away from those markets, the more ticket sales became smaller. No surprise as Cronenberg has a cult appeal. His biggest opening at the box office belongs to one of few major studio distributed movies, that being 20th Century Fox’s The Fly which opened to $7M and legged out to $40.4M in late summer 1986. After that, the filmmaker’s second biggest opening at the box office was his 1983 Stephen King feature adaptation of The Dead Zone with $4.55M; and these were major studio titles back in their heyday. Here’s what’s interesting, and again, granted, it’s pretty small, but when you get into Cronenberg’s core, die-hard, gritty genre titles at the domestic box office, the opening here for Crimes of the Future ranks behind 1988’s Dead Ringers ($3M opening at 1,042 theaters; which Crimes of the Future plays as a companion piece to) and 1983’s Videodrome ($1.19M at 600 theaters). So by Cronenberg’s own slide rule, Crimes of the Future is par for the course.

Edited by John2015

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't think TGM hold is excellent, not sure what is fuzz about its hold. The best hold I have seen is actually this one.

- (-) Morbius Sony Pictures $85,000 +3,137% +922% 1,037 $82 $73,403,389 64

The thing is, by now, we just expect these holds and increases from the pop culture phenomenon Morbius.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder if Paramount is gonna use this success to push it for awards (or at least a strong #2 behind Chazelle's Babylon). The original scored a number of Oscar nominations (including Film Editing) so voters might gravitate towards it more than most tentpoles. Guess it all depends on how strong Avatar 2 ends up being.

I find this Oscar talk kinda useless. The movie will be forgotten by next year when noms happen. Let's be appreciative for its box office. Although an editing nom would be great.  Also, Babylon will be the OScar movie Par will push hard

Edited by Maggie

In terms of Oscar's I don't think people realize how much oxygen Avatar is going to suck up for blockbusters. The PGA last year decided Dune was blockbuster enough and ignored No Time To Die despite that group being more open to blockbusters (they nominated Deadpool of all things). They rather nominate mid-budget moderate hits than giant blockbusters unless they have prestige like Dune or Avatar. At best Top Gun gets the same nominations as The Force Awakens + Original Song.

Edited by ringedmortality

Its crazy just how far Harry Potter has been driven into the ground.  In 2011 it had the 3rd highest grossing movie worldwide.  Say what you will about DC, but they can still put out hits.  Harry Potter is a joke.

Its a shame because Fantastic Beasts could have been a fun, smaller scale series about Newt Scamander traveling the world.  A prequel about Dumbledore and Grindewald could have been awesome.  Instead we got disappointing, jumbled movies that fail to deliver on either of these premises.

And yeah, Rowling's politics don't help.  General audiences probably don't care, but I can tell you that the fans absolutely listen to what she has to say and they don't like what they're hearing.  Harry Potter might be the most fan-driven franchise of them all, so demoralizing your fanbase, especially at a point where you're turning out shit movies, is really shooting yourself in a foot.

• Like 3