EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Wading through the slog that is Secrets of Dumbledore right now. Yikes this is dull. What happened to Wizarding World? Was once so fun to visit every year or so on the big screen... Jacob's still great though. 

I was bored but I still thought it was better than Crimes of Grindelwald.

Wading through the slog that is Secrets of Dumbledore right now. Yikes this is dull. What happened to Wizarding World? Was once so fun to visit every year or so on the big screen... Jacob's still great though. 

urheber2002_neu.jpg  + logo.png  +acting-scenes-scaled.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Mid to Late 2000s I don't: The Hobbit movie, the Transformers movies and the Pirates movies bar the first were, if anything, less creative than the superhero movie era while being, if anything, less consistently well made.

Pirates 2 and 3 were really good and more creative than anything Disney does now.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

If WOM for JW3 is just so so or not good, I think the max lifetime is $515M of TROS.

Anything under the A- CinemaScore that Fallen Kingdom received and legs are in trouble imo.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What happened was that the end of the not-perfect-but-promising Fantastic Beasts 1 was ruined by a pointless twist when Colin Farrell turned into Johnny Depp (not a reference to the actors themselves) - destroyed everything in a single moment.

The decision to intermingle the fun adventure series with round-the-world animal hijinks, with the serious straight-faced Harry Potter prequel series was a disaster.

Two different series in the Wizarding World that could have been big bread winners turned into one mess of a series that was tonally all over the place.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Pirates 2 and 3 were really good and more creative than anything Disney does now.

Love Verbinski... As good as they were, he really got it right with Lone Ranger which is much better than them all. 

Disney still does some fun stuff via Pixar I think. But, yeah, not the same.

38 minutes ago, Maggie said:

After the doom and gloom, i have to say Strange is doing pretty good. Over 400M is excellent

its a solid gross but considering the hype it had and the fact it will have the worst legs of any Marvel film I wouldn’t call it excellent 

• Like 3

Love Verbinski... As good as they were, he really got it right with Lone Ranger which is much better than them all. 

-Tonto-tonto-33022863-500-209.gif

• Thanks 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah that's the dream but more realistically I will be fine with 125-150.

jatinder dreams of a world without that pesky James Cameron fella making movies that don't deserve all that money!

10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Pirates 3? Creative?

"Jack Sparrow's really popular, lets' have a sequence where there are a million Jack Sparrows"

"Everyone says Jack Sparrow is a Keith Richards impersonation....so let's, like, totally have Keith Richards in it as his dad". C'mon....compared to Encanto or Turning Red?

Pirates 1 got away with pigeonholing two of the worst lead actors in modern Hollywood into roles that suited them, but 2 and 3 were horrendously hamstrung by Knightly and Bloom. And Sparrow was diminishing returns the moment he became the lead and not the supporting character he was in 1.

And the attempt at a 'sombre opening' at the gallows in 3 is crass and ridiculous.

I agree Lone Ranger was a more noble attempt at replicating Pirates 1 than any of the sequels  but it seemed to be messed around by producers and editing. There is/was lots of promise in it.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I love Rango. Such a weird, cool movie. That is all.

• Like 1