EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Tom Cruise back at his absolute peak of stardom here. 

Just when we were starting to despair at older audiences turning their backs on theatres…

”Ladies and gentlemen, your saviour is here”

Well, he did spend 2 minutes before the movie starts thanking them for being there...if that wasn't a way to make the old people happy they were there and willing to come back the next day to be thanked again.

I'd argue that intro and the 1st 5 minutes of the movie were the most genius film-making decisions ever to expand the audience into the heartland and the old folks so well...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The best part of this is for me its not even wishful thinking. With the size of the Avatar sequels and the fact that they're been released in 2022, 2024, 2026 and 2028. Avatar alone can set this trend.

Avatar may well be massively successful, but it has a 0% chance to break Hollywood out of a “ruthlessly milk the same IP for lots of sequels” trend. It’s a road that leads to avatar 6, avatar 17, whatever rather than to a new (or rather, old) paradigm.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I thought I made it clear the trend of spending big budgets only existing IPs will continue!

The trend is the type of big budget movies, moving back to films that feel more like the blockbusters from 15-30 years ago and moving away from Superhero movies and Star Wars. Superhero Movies and Star Wars will always exist for the foreseeable future, they just won't have the stranglehold that they had in the 2010s.

I could see that but I'll believe it more when I see it. I think the Avatar sequels will be huge too but see diminishing returns DOM probably with each one. Not huge drops from one to the next but drops until I guess  the final one. That'll go up. So... Something like the later Potter films. Different than superhero for sure though. Other than Avatar, what else is in the trend that's slated to release in the next two or three years? What are the other ones that'll do this? Maybe MI 7.1? Avatar seems like the exception not the norm and Maverick is very much lightning in a bottle. Last three big superhero films did 805M+, 370M+ and, now, likely 400M+. The sequel to the 370M+ one will probably do close to over 500M+ especially if Joker's in it.

With all that said, I hope you're right.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This weekend thread is reminding me of the insane weekend thread for Jurassic World. The numbers just kept going up and up and up, everyone knew they had a MONSTER on their hands. It was probably one of the most exciting box office days I’ve ever experienced.

Also, if Hollywood learns anything from TGM, it’s that making QUALITY movies for the BIG SCREEN will pay off. Tight script, solid direction, good performances, etc. Make a good movie that is designed for the big screen, and you will reap the benefits.

I also think the performance of this movie is going to change the conversation of “is the movie star dead” for years to come. No way in hell this movie did anywhere near these kinds of numbers without Cruise.

Well, Tom Cruise is the GOAT right now, but it's like the equivalent difficulty level of going to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers late in your career and winning them a Super Bowl just to prove that you've still got it at your age...

Usually, you can count the total who could do that on one hand...and they seem to need to be named Tom...

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Avatar may well be massively successful, but it has a 0% chance to break Hollywood out of a “ruthlessly milk the same IP for lots of sequels” trend. It’s a road that leads to avatar 6, avatar 17, whatever rather than to a new (or rather, old) paradigm.

Yeah, it's literally just 4 more sequels!  Cameron could absolutely make something original and get $200m for it, but he isn't.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, it's literally just 4 more sequels!  Cameron could absolutely make something original and get $200m for it, but he isn't.  

This. I'm still excited to see them but it's whole hell of a lot of Avatar. I'd love to see him do something else before calling it a career but imagine that's extremely unlikely which is kinda disappointing.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Seriously though Hollywood has been struggling to make big budget movies good for over a decade. It's because they're so risk adverse and care about money before quality, without thought into the longterm.

this is more just you ascribing your own sensibilities onto the current crop of blockbusters, many of which have been very well received both critically and financially (even if they don't meet your personal standards)

i think it's more that it is actually very hard to make a great movie; too many moving parts to guarantee the process

of course studios are super risk averse these days which doesn't help and holds back a lot of great stuff that would've been made in yesteryears but i think that's kind of a separate issue

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

i think it's more that it is actually very hard to make a great movie

This is the primary issue with the “just make a bunch of great movies” strategy. 

Like, if that was on the table for a studios, certainly they would take it and be ecstatic. But historically that option tends to be… not actually an option.

8 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

This is the primary issue with the “just make a bunch of great movies” strategy. 

Like, if that was on the table for a studios, certainly they would take it and be ecstatic. But historically that option tends to be… not actually an option.

the studio big wigs sit in their offices all day and throw darts at a wall to decide which movies they will make good and which ones they will make bad

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

the studio big wigs sit in their offices all day and throw darts at a wall to decide which movies they will make good and which ones they will make bad

Worse ways to do it tbh — darts are fun

6 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Gotta say I'm surprised but not surprised it's doing these numbers. The repeat viewing value of this is incredible. I dont think there has ever been a movie that I instantly want to go back in to watch it again after the showing ended. I have watched it in IMAX twice already, and I bet you not I am coming back for more, and I'm an Asian Gen Z, no idea what Top Gun was before. Why is it so good?

Power of real movies.

• Astonished 1

If things go as planned this weekend, Maverick will be seen a second time this weekend with family. Haven’t done that for a blockbuster since seeing Black Panther 3 times in 2018.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, aabattery said:

this is more just you ascribing your own sensibilities onto the current crop of blockbusters, many of which have been very well received both critically and financially (even if they don't meet your personal standards)

i think it's more that it is actually very hard to make a great movie; too many moving parts to guarantee the process

of course studios are super risk averse these days which doesn't help and holds back a lot of great stuff that would've been made in yesteryears but i think that's kind of a separate issue

I think a lot of the quality mega blockbusters have been super hero films lately. 

A lot of the typical summer blockbusters have failed badly in recent years for being rather low quality.

Edited by Torontofan

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I miss mojo’s dailies where you could few four or five days worth side by side. 

TG2’s side by sides would have looked beautiful. 

I miss when you could see comparisons of franchise films performance to each other. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

This weekend thread is reminding me of the insane weekend thread for Jurassic World. The numbers just kept going up and up and up, everyone knew they had a MONSTER on their hands. It was probably one of the most exciting box office days I’ve ever experienced.

Also, if Hollywood learns anything from TGM, it’s that making QUALITY movies for the BIG SCREEN will pay off. Tight script, solid direction, good performances, etc. Make a good movie that is designed for the big screen, and you will reap the benefits.

I also think the performance of this movie is going to change the conversation of “is the movie star dead” for years to come. No way in hell this movie did anywhere near these kinds of numbers without Cruise.

Imagine what Independence Day 2 could’ve done with a good script and Will Smith in the lead role. The original adjusts to 600m+ right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I miss mojo’s dailies where you could few four or five days worth side by side. 

TG2’s side by sides would have looked beautiful. 

You mean the thing like this, where they had the weekend, weekday and weekly option?

KGpjMmD.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 6
  • Sad 1