Eric Furiosa

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

All the 100m+ openers with rotten scores and their metacritic and Cinemascore scores with legs:

Lion King- 191.7m (52% RT, 55 MC, A Cinemascore)  (2.83x)

Rise of Skywalker- 177.3m (52% RT, 53 MC, B+ Cinemascore)  (2.90x)

BVS- 166m (29% RT, 44 MC, B Cinemascore) (1.99x)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom- 148m (47% RT, 51 MC, A- Cinemascore) (2.82x)

*Jurassic World: Dominion- 143.3 (30% RT, 37 MC, A- Cinemascore)*

New Moon- 142.8m (29% RT, 44 MC) (2.08x)

Breaking Dawn Part 2- 141 (49% RT, 52 MC, A Cinemascore) (2.07x)

Breaking Dawn Part 1- 138.1m (25% RT, 45 MC, B+ Cinemascore) (2.04x)

Dead Man Chest- 135.6m (53% RT, 53 MC, A- Cinemascore) (3.12x)

Suicide Squad- 133.6 (26% RT, 40 MC, B+ Cinemascore) (2.43x)

Shrek 3- 121.6m (41% RT, 58 MC, B+ Cinemascore) (2.65x)

Man of Steel- 116.6 (56% RT, 55 MC, A- Cinemascore) (2.50x)

Alice in Wonderland- 116.1m (51% RT, 53 MC, A- Cinemascore) (2.88x)

Minions- 115.7 (55% RT, 56 MC, A Cinemascore) (2.90x)

At World's End- 114.7m (44% RT, 50 MC, A- Cinemascore) (2.70x)

Revenge of the Fallen- 108.9m (20% RT, 35 MC, B+ Cinemascore) (3.69x)

XMen The Last Stand- 102.7m (57% RT, 58 MC, A- Cinemascore) (2.28x)

Age of Extinction- 100m (17% RT, 32 MC, A- Cinemascore) (2.45x)

By these metrics, JWD is the absolute worst reviewed of the bunch alongside the Transformers movies

Others such as Spider-Man 3, Iron Man 2, etc are more mixed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am in bay area and so that is why I said it. I expect the red states wont give it off 🙂 But its federal holiday and so all federal and many states have give off as well. Anyway we will know soon for sure. 

I'm a PK(preacher's kid) and we moved around a lot. 

Right after I graduated HS we moved to deep East Texas.  I know that doesn't mean a lot to most people here so let me give you an example. My mom was a school counselor at the time and the district she got a job in did not give MLK day off, but they totally DID get the first day of hunting season off.

• Like 4

Reading the share of 3D screens this is getting in some territories you guys are in is actually blowing my mind a bit. 

I can only assume (despite most of you saying you prefer 2D) that the presentations are projected well? That was the biggest problem in the U.K. when it was a much more common thing.  Just way too dark. 

I will say that post-pandemic around me all of the cinemas I frequent have upped their game considerably as far as brighter images go. 

I’ve no problem with 3D if a movie has been designed for it. Post-converted though is an automatic no from me. 

46 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Right after I graduated HS we moved to deep East Texas.  I know that doesn't mean a lot to most people here so let me give you an example. My mom was a school counselor at the time and the district she got a job in did not give MLK day off, but they totally DID get the first day of hunting season off.

That’s…interesting.

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

@Ezen Baklattan @The Panda

I think we need to add a “ @Brainbug the Dinosaur Award” to the BOFFYs — for the user that is most mature in face of sadness, and handles it like a champ. 

Model. Citizen. 

Clapping Applause GIF

Is that the Rock? When? Where is the rest of him!?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

@Ezen Baklattan @The Panda

I think we need to add a “ @Brainbug the Dinosaur Award” to the BOFFYs — for the user that is most mature in face of sadness, and handles it like a champ. 

Model. Citizen. 

Clapping Applause GIF

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

he’s a class act.  I just hope there’s another franchise he loves nearly as much with an upcoming instalment. His enthusiasm is infectious 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Damn I feel sorry for you guys.  If putting on the dumb glasses and seeing shitty 3D was a requirement where I lived, I'd be a staunch advocate of the 30 day windows or same day VOD releases lol.

You can see it in 2d too, but that often means smaller screens (as the big one has it in 3d - the one I went to prior to moving was kinda nice in that regard, it's largest halls (what is the correct word for that) could seat 572, 425 and 425 people (the first was almost always 3d, the other were split or both 2d.

The cinema I now go to has one large that always has 3d - but it has awful leather seats, so that is an argument to not watch movies on that screen, tried it out with Doctor Strange - wasn't nice.

And unless you can got to cinemas like Mathäser in Munich or the Cinestar Metropolis in Frankfurt if you even get a OV (meaning original version, so English) you often have to watch it in 3d. But I feel like that isn't as bad now as it was a couple years ago - slightly more OV shows and I have seen some 2d ones.

And it has become normalized to watch big movies in 3d.

I watched the likes of TFA, TLJ, ROTS, RO, Endgame in 3d (to watch it on the biggest screen and cause my friends wanted to watch in 3d).

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Reading the share of 3D screens this is getting in some territories you guys are in is actually blowing my mind a bit. 

I can only assume (despite most of you saying you prefer 2D) that the presentations are projected well? That was the biggest problem in the U.K. when it was a much more common thing.  Just way too dark. 

I will say that post-pandemic around me all of the cinemas I frequent have upped their game considerably as far as brighter images go. 

I’ve no problem with 3D if a movie has been designed for it. Post-converted though is an automatic no from me. 

Projection has gotten considerably darker (and it doesn't help so many big blockbusters are poorly shot, dimly lit, and overly toned in color grade). Especially at AMC. 4k digital presentation has a purple tint to it. 

Cameron needs to whip these theaters into shape for Avatar

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Most of the times the largest screen is 3d - and depending on how much bigger it is, that has a certain pull so a lot of people just choose that - as I have done too with SW, Endgame etc. And those movies were okay in 3d.

DS2 3d wasn't that good (largest screen again).

3d market share only is about 20-25%, but that is because German movies don't have 3d and some us ones (TGM for example don't have it either and kids movies often seem to do worse in 3d). For the likes of SW and Endgame I think 3d is probably 60-70%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Living in deep E.T (Tyler is my closest big city) this feels so same, even though I know its not. So far I have only seen signs of closure on the Banks and financial businesses (besides government stuff.) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Living in deep E.T (Tyler is my closest big city) this feels so same, even though I know its not. So far I have only seen signs of closure on the Banks and financial businesses (besides government stuff.) 

Hey!  I've lived all over Texas including in Chandler!