Eric the Minion

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

1 minute ago, Bigscrubnus said:

And the RT score can be explained by the GA not being full of the type to go online to rate a movie. Do extreme normies go online to rate the film on RT, IMDB, letterboxd and metacritic? No, they don’t. They see a movie, like/dislike it, and then move on with their lives.

Nerds like us who discuss movies after the fact are an extreme minority. The other JW films should have taught this lesson that some people still haven’t grasped. 

The Jurassic World films are something that is actually very rare today imo: "Classic" popcorn summer movies. Movies, that for most people mean something that you see for some cool dino action and as an opportunity to just forget the real world for 2 hours. Its not part of a massive interconnected universe, its not a massive fan-driven franchise like Star Wars where every single detail is discussed to death and its not the movie that will change society forever.

The internet likes to hate on more simple-minded movies like this because of many reasons, but i believe the GA doesnt care one bit about people critizising a movie like Dominion for 1 1/2 hours on their YouTube channel. Like with JW and JW:FK, Dominions legs and ultimate fate will be determined by how much enjoyment the GA gets out of it. If the GA likes it, it will get good legs. If the GA doesnt like it, legs will be not so good.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I looked out of curiosity, and PostTrak's score for Fallen Kingdom was also lower than its CinemaScore by a decent amount as well so.....

Comscore/Screen Engine exits were harder at 3 1/2 stars and 73% and 57% definite recommend. (vs. Fallen Kingdom‘s 82%, four stars).  The under-12 crowd adores the movie more than the adults, at 92% positive and a 69% recommend.

From https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassic-world-dominion-box-office-1235042811/

Clearly lower PostTrak than FK. FK's was on the lower end of A- but nothing too implausible. I think you all are completely misrepresenting the arguments of those who are suspicious of the Cinemascore. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

Comscore/Screen Engine exits were harder at 3 1/2 stars and 73% and 57% definite recommend. (vs. Fallen Kingdom‘s 82%, four stars).  The under-12 crowd adores the movie more than the adults, at 92% positive and a 69% recommend.

From https://deadline.com/2022/06/jurassic-world-dominion-box-office-1235042811/

Clearly lower PostTrak than FK. FK's was on the lower end of A- but nothing too implausible. 

That's a B- right there. 80-89 is considered B. 90-100 is A.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

The under-12 crowd adores the movie more than the adults, at 92% positive and a 69% recommend.

This is what really matters. Because if the kids love it they'll bring their parents and friends to see it again. As long as the parents think it's at least mediocre they won't care.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Also while it was pre-verified and been a while....Fallen Kingdom's audience score on RT is 48%. I think we just need to accept that so far, CinemaScore's been the more accurate predictor of the reception among the GA. Like Brainbug said, if next week it has a horrific 60% drop or something, then yeah sure PostTrak and RT were more accurate this time around.

1 minute ago, Tokugennumataka said:

TGM

Mon - 8M

Tue - 9M

Wed - 8M

Thu - 7.5M

Fri - 11.3M (+50%) 

Sat - 15.8M (+39%) 

Sun - 17.2M (+8%) 

44.3 (-13%). 2nd best 4th weekend of all time. 

God I hope so. Would be an incredible recovery 

15 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I looked out of curiosity, and PostTrak's score for Fallen Kingdom was also lower than its CinemaScore by a decent amount as well so.....

So it could just be the particular markets CS samples have much lower expectations for JW quality 

Did it have dinosaurs? Yes

Score: A

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

TGM

Mon - 8M

Tue - 9M

Wed - 8M

Thu - 7.5M

Fri - 11.3M (+50%) 

Sat - 15.8M (+39%) 

Sun - 17.2M (+8%) 

44.3 (-13%). 2nd best 4th weekend of all time. 

If Thu is indeed 7.5 then I think it can bring down Avatar for the top spot. Fri should jump ~ 65% and Sat ~ 45%

Edited by nguyenkhoi282

27 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You can't map PostTrak % positive directly onto Cinemascore, if you apply this then almost every movie has a worse PostTrak than Cinemascore. The best way to compare is to look at movies with similar Cinemascores and compare what the PostTrak scores tend to be, it usually is fairly consistent. Fallen Kingdom's 82% for A- was maybe a few percent under the normal A- range (which tends to be mid-high 80s percentage positive).  Considering that stuff like CM was able to even reach an A with % positive in the high 80s, FK's A- is within what I would consider normal variation. Dominion's % positive is 9% even under that, which is a huge gap. It's definite recommend is also awful at just 57%.

Recent example: Strange 2 had 82% positive, 69% definite recommend, and ended up with a B+. Dominion is under that by double digits in both metrics.

20 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Also while it was pre-verified and been a while....Fallen Kingdom's audience score on RT is 48%. I think we just need to accept that so far, CinemaScore's been the more accurate predictor of the reception among the GA. Like Brainbug said, if next week it has a horrific 60% drop or something, then yeah sure PostTrak and RT were more accurate this time around.

Comparing pre-verified scores is utterly useless. The behavior of RT verified score has been demonstrably very close to Cinemascore/PostTrak ever since verification was implemented, which was absolutely not the case before verification. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

You can't map PostTrak % positive directly onto Cinemascore, if you apply this then almost every movie has a worse PostTrak than Cinemascore. The best way to compare is to look at movies with similar Cinemascores and compare what the PostTrak scores tend to be, it usually is fairly consistent. Fallen Kingdom's 82% for A- was maybe a few percent under the normal A- range (which tends to be mid-high 80s percentage positive).  Dominion's % positive is 9% even under that, which is a huge gap. 

Comparing pre-verified scores is utterly useless. The behavior of RT verified score has been demonstrably very close to Cinemascore/PostTrak ever since verification was implemented, which was absolutely not the case before verification. 

Whatever dude, we'll find out for sure next week. I still think that if it was a movie the forum liked overall, they wouldn't be mentioning 'sampling errors' for CinemaScore.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Whatever dude, we'll find out for sure next week. I still think that if it was a movie the forum liked overall, they wouldn't be mentioning 'sampling errors' for CinemaScore.

Man these accusations are tiresome. Sometimes people don't have some hidden agenda with their interpretation of things. I liked the movie, but it's important to be objective about what the reception actually was. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wildphantom said:

25% of the global gross was 3D?! What are people even doing? 

@Brainbug the Dinosaur have any of your viewings been 3D, and if so…was it worth it?*

*Also, have you seen the film again today? 

Where are you seeing that 25% of the global gross was 3D?  Variety says that all premium formats accounted for 25% of the global gross.

11 minutes ago, IdahoJacket said:

Where are you seeing that 25% of the global gross was 3D?  Variety says that all premium formats accounted for 25% of the global gross.

deadline….

”Imax, PLFs and all enhanced formats drove 35% of the weekend’s ticket sales. Imax’s 400 auditoriums claimed 8% of the gross or $12.3M making it the fourth best domestic debut for a Uni title in Imax. Interesting to note here as we barrel toward Avatar 2 in December that 3D screens repped 13% of Dominion‘s domestic gross. On a global basis, 25% of Dominion‘s ticket sales were earned by 3D theaters or $90M.

• Thanks 1