Eric Loves Rey

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

In terms of box office? Or, in terms of what's preferred to watch? If you're going box office, you shouldn't leave Fast off that list. it would be ahead of your last two.

Box office. Fast & Furious would be my #6 because of Fast 9's performance. I have personally the feeling that its downhill from here for the series. Fast 9s grosses were ofc impacted by Covid, but the hype for the franchise seems just down atm for me.

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Box office. Fast & Furious would be my #6 because of Fast 9's performance. I have personally the feeling that its downhill from here for the series. Fast 9s grosses were ofc impacted by Covid, but the hype for the franchise seems just down atm for me.

Fast 9 that made 725M+ WW during the middle of the pandemic during a summer in which no movies were breaking out at all makes it #6?

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Fast 9 that made 725M+ WW during the middle of the pandemic during a summer in which no movies were breaking out at all makes it #6?

I can totally see your point but its just my gut feeling that should we hypothetically have a new Fast movie next summer, the new Mission Impossible movie would outgross it imo. I could be completely wrong here ofc.

Though i have underestimated F&F in the past, so just take my take on this with a grain of salt 😄

• Like 2

Does Jumanji count as a franchise? Because I would put that high on the list if/when we get another 

• Like 1

I don't think it's fair to put Avatar on that list with other franchises right now, since we haven't even seen the performance of the sequel yet. For all we know, 2 and 3 could bomb or have very middling performances. I'll wait to see how the sequel does before I say anything about the power of the franchise

For me, I would say, in terms of box office power (right now), the strongest franchises:

1. Disney Live Action Remakes

Does this count? As much as people talk bad about them, they all consistently are among the top earners of their year every year

2. Fast and Furious

Yes, it is on the decline and closing out soonish maybe, but the movie has very strong appeal, especially OS

3. Jurassic World

The franchise will lay dormant for now, but it has shown that people just love dinosaurs

4. Star Wars

Even though SW seems relegated to streaming for now, it's still Star Wars

5. Despicable Me

I feel we often overlook kids movies, but you can't deny the power of the Minions

6. (if you don't count the Live Action Remakes) Mission Impossible

I guess? I'm sure TGM will give the next two MI movies a bit of a boost. All this thought experiment has shown me is how dominate CBMs really are. I feel like I'm scraping pretty hard to fill out the list

I think the top box office franchises in terms of box office potential would probably be:

1. Star Wars

No doubt. That run from 2015-2017 where they had the highest grossing film 3 years in a row was legendary. The audience is clearly there, I think it's just a matter of the quality and not relying so much on nostalgia to bring in more OS audiences/newer fans.

2. Harry Potter/Wizarding World

Yes I know the Fantastic Beasts movies are bombing, but let's not forget that every HP movie entered the WW Top 15 when they came out, and the brand has very strong international potential. I have no doubt in my heart that eventually, a TFA style sequel with the original trio will be made, and they have such a large world/history of stories that they could go through.

3. Avatar

The reason I put SW and HP above Avatar is because they could probably get away with making a movie every year, and currently have wide, expansive universes to draw from. As opposed to Avatar which currently does not have as expansive of a universe, and would probably only get a single release every 2-3 years.

(There is a huge gap between these three and anything else)

Other high potential brands I could think of include MonsterVerse, the next James Bond, more Fast and Furious spinoffs, Transformers if they improve the quality and distance themselves from the Michael Bay era, Frozen if they really wanted to milk it for more movies.

Edited by Gokai Red
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Does Jumanji count as a franchise? Because I would put that high on the list if/when we get another 

With 3 (or 4 if you count the spinoff ”Zathura: A Space Adventure”) movies, yes.

The first one of them starring Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst & Bonnie Hunt, and two of it’s sequels starring Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan & Jack Black.

5 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

For me, I would say, in terms of box office power (right now), the strongest franchises:

1. Disney Live Action Remakes

Does this count? As much as people talk bad about them, they all consistently are among the top earners of their year every year

It counts, but the big elephant in the room here is that it's a very finite resource.

At this point in terms of guaranteed hits they have, at best, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, and Snow White left. Two of those are out imminently; most big live version of Pan have been disasters; and Snow White is out of copyright and anyone can do it - and indeed did not that long ago.

After that they're either down to non-sure things (which of course would actually likely provide the best movies but are far less likely to be greenly) and remakes of remakes. 

18 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It counts, but the big elephant in the room here is that it's a very finite resource.

At this point in terms of guaranteed hits they have, at best, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, and Snow White left. Two of those are out imminently; most big live version of Pan have been disasters; and Snow White is out of copyright and anyone can do it - and indeed did not that long ago.

After that they're either down to non-sure things (which of course would actually likely provide the best movies but are far less likely to be greenly) and remakes of remakes. 

They'll start doing pixar after that, LA nemo!

I hope I'm not giving them ideas...

2 hours ago, Hilpkioy said:

No official statement from Walt Disney Malaysia/ the Film Censorship Board of Malaysia yet but I think we all know why lol.

Oh I forget is there a lesbian character?

EDIT: Ah yeah missed Eric's post above yours.

Edited by Jiffy

4 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Oh I forget is there a lesbian character?

EDIT: Ah yeah missed Eric's post above yours.

Oh I thought buzz was going to get his swirl on.

Are Interracial relationships still legal? Since some people want to turn the clock back to 1930.

• Like 1

The things that infuriated me on the first watch were still there. Perspective kicked in as I knew they were coming, and surrounding the colossal flaws I had a fine enough time.  

The movie is fine, with some great moments.  Not my Jurassic Park, but it’s certainly consistent with the other two World films. 

I went for @Brainbug the Dinosaur and the suspicion that I was harsh on it first time around.  

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

General question: What do you all think are the top Non-CBM franchises box-office wise at the moment? My Top 5 list woud probably be:

01. Avatar, as its obvious that it will post massive numbers with the 2nd movie this winter and unless it is somehow badly received i see no reason why the other sequels wont be enormous successes as well.

02. Jurassic Park/World, because even though Dominion will probably miss 1B, the franchise has shown that it has enormous appeal among all demographics and should they come up with a really good idea for the inevitable 7th installment, that could break out again. So while it will rest for a while, it still doesnt get much better as a bankable franchise than JP.

03. Star Wars, since yes Rise of Skywalker was a disappointment and Solo was a gigantic flop in 2018, but Star Wars is still Star Wars, meaning should Disney manage to actually plan things out in the future regarding a possible new series of movies (i know, a big if), theres gigantic potential still here. Even will all the "Star Wars DEAD" chatter going around, this is still Star Wars. It survived Jar Jar Binks, it will survive the Sequel Trilogy. However, things could go really wrong imo if Disney puts out another big movie that is as bad as TROS.

04. Mission: Impossible. I thought about putting James Bond here, but with that series getting a new actor for the lead role, i can see it dropping from the latest Craig movies as is often the case when that franchise gets a new lead actor. M:I meanwhile could go even higher than Fallout with the Dead Reckoning movies imo.

05. James Bond. Its still James Bond.

Box office wise, worldwide

1. MCU

2. Avatar (Cameron)

3. Jurassic

4. DC

From here this get tough.

5. Fast & Furious probably

5. Star Wars

Probably put Pixar+WDAS combined as #2 may be.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Banned in almost all Muslim countries. 

Some of them don't really ban LGBT, but since this is animation and kids are audience so banned.

It is still set for release here in Turkey as of now, although it got booted off to September last month. Disney+ is launching here tomorrow and the movie would have been out mere days after, so my guess is that they want to focus on marketing the service this summer. Thor 4 is their sole tentpole here this summer, and Marvel likely won't let UIP Turkey delay it too.

Good to see Jurassic love after Dominion misfiring badly, especially in foreign.

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Box office wise, worldwide

1. MCU

2. Avatar (Cameron)

3. Jurassic

4. DC

From here this get tough.

5. Fast & Furious probably

5. Star Wars

Probably put Pixar+WDAS combined as #2 may be.

It has Universal aspects, kids and people in general like dinosaurs or are interested in some capacity, 4 quadrant watching, all it needs is actually giving people what they want.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

17 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

After that 38.5M Sunday update, is 145M a possibility? 

With the current numbers, im getting to 144,9M. I could see Uni fudging actuals to a clean 145M and then take off 100k or so from the Monday number.

• Like 2