Eric Loves Rey

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

1 hour ago, Gokai Red said:

I don't think it's fair to put Avatar on that list with other franchises right now, since we haven't even seen the performance of the sequel yet. For all we know, 2 and 3 could bomb or have very middling performances. I'll wait to see how the sequel does before I say anything about the power of the franchise

The second A2 makes a single dollar it becomes the highest grossing franchise of all time by movie average. 

49 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Banned in almost all Muslim countries. 

Some of them don't really ban LGBT, but since this is animation and kids are audience so banned.

Yeah Malaysia doesn't usually ban these types of films unless it's an animation with kids as the target audience. I think the last big controversial one here was Beauty and the Beast. Whereas JWD and DSMoM didn't get the boot and did great business. Oh and FB3 was fine as well.

• Like 1

BTW an Anecdote about type of casual audience that came in Jurassic World.

Apparently I've seen and meet people who actually didn't knew the name of the movie, they just knew that is was Jurassic Park movie.

A father was asking his daughter on the list that does she want to go see Jurassic Park, will she not get afraid..... That was cute, daughter was very small.

There's another person who called the movie as Jurassic Park and realized the name is Jurassic World Dominion when the title card was shown.

Then there was a group of guys who just wanted to see Dinosaurs and were greatly making fun of movie focusing more on Tiddi as we call locusts in India.

So Atleast in India, these movies attract lots of casual crowds that just know one name Jurassic Park and want to see Dinosaurs.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 3

On the other hand some people that were sitting besides me in 3rd time i watched it were fans of franchise, rare to see.

They remembered some details that i can't reveal as they were spoilers, but they identified it, it was related to original movie.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

With the current numbers, im getting to 144,9M. I could see Uni fudging actuals to a clean 145M and then take off 100k or so from the Monday number.

But who know Friday and Saturday number were also underestimated? It is common to see some adjustment to Fri-Sat number in actual 

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It counts, but the big elephant in the room here is that it's a very finite resource.

At this point in terms of guaranteed hits they have, at best, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, and Snow White left. Two of those are out imminently; most big live version of Pan have been disasters; and Snow White is out of copyright and anyone can do it - and indeed did not that long ago.

After that they're either down to non-sure things (which of course would actually likely provide the best movies but are far less likely to be greenly) and remakes of remakes. 

I think Disney probably will look at animated films that weren't huge hits first time around but have gained status like Hercules and Hunchback, the latter to me could be glorious especially if they decided to go for an adaptation that's closer to the book much like the stage musical adaptation.

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

What did I say? 145M

>8.0x from $18m preview. JWD actually has one of the best preview to weekend multiplier, especially for a major opening, considering summer time generally deflate that multiplier since school is out. $400m is still in play if we have healthy holiday bump next week and July 4 weekend. 

• Like 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

>8.0x from $18m preview. JWD actually has one of the best preview to weekend multiplier, especially for a major opening, considering summer time generally deflate that multiplier since school is out. $400m is still in play if we have healthy holiday bump next week and July 4 weekend. 

These preview-to-OW multis also get lowered for movies in the last 2-3 years due to previews starting earlier and earlier, so an 8x is imo impressive.

And yes i agree 400M is possible and im ofc hoping for it.

• Like 1

A tidy $145m then, and it looks like it upticked elsewhere too. 

That’s a great start. 

With regards to Top Gun Maverick, is Tom keeping it off iTunes/Blu-ray disc etc as well for 120 days? Or is it just streaming? 

So this weekend made about $213m in total, a comparable number to pre-pandemic summer. Can we have another round of $200m this coming weekend?

MONDAY AM UPDATE: Even more signs that moviegoing is shaking off all pandemic jinxs, business was bigger on Sunday for both Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World Dominion and Paramount/Skydance’s Top Gun: Maverick

Dominion‘s Sunday came in at $38.5M, vs. the forecasted $36.9M yesterday AM, putting its 3-day at $145M; still third best domestic opening for a Jurassic movie after 2015’s Jurassic World ($208.8M) and 2018’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($148M). In addition, as we said, it’s the best start for a non-superhero movie during the pandemic. Dominion‘s Sunday was 18% off from its Saturday.

Paramount’s third Sunday for Top Gun 2 is estimated to be around $17.6M, -12% from Saturday, putting its amazing third weekend at $51.8M, -42%, again that’s without any Imax or premium format screen ticket sales, and a great feat in the shadow of a box office monster like Dominion. Running total on the highest grossing Tom Cruise movie stateside is $395.2M.

• Like 2