IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

18 minutes ago, Andreas said:

If A2 makes more money in Germany than in France I..

Hide contents

werde nach Deutschland ziehen. Unironischerweise, unabhängig vom Erfolg dieses Films in Deutschland, habe ich die letzten 3 Jahre darüber nachgedacht.

I think it's unlikely because by Sunday A2 will have 6,4M admits in Germany and 10M in France. btw, I wonder why Germany, which has 20 million more inhabitants than France, makes far fewer cinema admissions.

Just now, LPLC said:

I think it's unlikely because by Sunday A2 will have 6,4M admits in Germany and 10M in France. btw, I wonder why Germany, which has 20 million more inhabitants than France, makes far fewer cinema admissions.

Because moviegoing in Germany is just not that big a part of the culture or at least that is what gradually happened here in the last 10-15 years. France or the UK are clearly different, there it seems that its normal to watch multiple movies per year in the cinema, here in Germany its actualyl rather tough to find someone who watches 2 or more movies in theaters yearly. Theres a ton of people here who watch maybe 1 or even none.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Because moviegoing in Germany is just not that big a part of the culture or at least that is what gradually happened here in the last 10-15 years. France or the UK are clearly different, there it seems that its normal to watch multiple movies per year in the cinema, here in Germany its actualyl rather tough to find someone who watches 2 or more movies in theaters yearly. Theres a ton of people here who watch maybe 1 or even none.

And what they prefer to do instead of cinema ? Sport or something like that ?

11 minutes ago, LPLC said:

And what they prefer to do instead of cinema ? Sport or something like that ?

Mostly sports yes, but i think in general its more like most germans have a lot of different "favourite" activities that are kind of interchangable and going to the movie theater is just one of them that gets more and more side-lined. I personally think it also has to do with the rising ticket prices (a family going to the cinema can pay up to 80 Euros or so, depending on the movie and buying food), the annoying faithfulness to keeping 3D when nobody likes 3D since 10 years or so and many people switching to home theaters and only watching Television and streaming because its cheaper, more accessable and doesnt cost much time.

To be clear, i would love to see this changing and the german box office getting back on track, but sadly id think Avatar 2 is the exception to the rule.

• Like 2

For a long time now I too wonder why that is though - why Germany has such a bad cinema culture. And I thought maybe it has something to do with the propagandist role movies played in the Third Reich? That may seem a little far-fetched but I didn't find a satisfactory answer yet so maybe the answer indeed once again is: Hitler 👀

1 minute ago, Aristis said:

For a long time now I too wonder why that is though - why Germany has such a bad cinema culture. And I thought maybe it has something to do with the propagandist role movies played in the Third Reich? That may seem a little far-fetched but I didn't find a satisfactory answer yet so maybe the answer indeed once again is: Hitler 👀

I dont think so because Germany was a thriving cinema market in the 60s up to the early 2000s. The negative development only really began in the early 2010s with 2012 beeing the last really great year iirc.

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

So you are saying Avatar was responsible for the downward trend.

happy time GIF

Unironically ... a litte bit, yes. 3D is trash, nobody needs it and Avatar popularized it and until now, most big screens in germany have 3D for all the big movies, even (and especially!) if its not needed and makes the experience worse. Though in fairness, i woudnt blame Avatar per se, but movie studious and the theaters in Germany for keeping 3D needlessly alive.

I ... i really hate 3D.

10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I dont think so because Germany was a thriving cinema market in the 60s up to the early 2000s. The negative development only really began in the early 2010s with 2012 beeing the last really great year iirc.

But still on a somewhat lesser scale than other markets like France or Great Britain (at least in newer times, I can't really find older yearly admissions data for most countries). I mean, there must be any answer. Germany had a huge contribution to film as an art form in the early 1900s but much was lost in the following years. So maybe it's a more indirect influence, like talented people leaving - or maybe you're right and it has nothing to do with that. I would love to read something scientific about that but I'm yet to find useful texts. 

Germany, for a long time, ignored the fact, that money can't buy popcorn. They were greedy, Prices were too high. They accepted the loss of audiences, especially children and families. And with a generation not growing up in cinemas, they won't come when they grow up either. 

There's always a turning point in a model, where rising box office makes up for missing audiences. Mark G. over at Insidekino was preaching it for years.

Well, at least we got that Kinofest runing, finally. But for my taste, again, with prices too high and a wrong spot in the calendar. 

You just have too keep in mind: This is a country, where you can buy 1 kg of meat for 4€, but can't take your 2 kids to the movies as parents and keep the price tag under 50€ including snacks. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aristis said:

But still on a somewhat lesser scale than other markets like France or Great Britain (at least in newer times, I can't really find older yearly admissions data for most countries). I mean, there must be any answer. Germany had a huge contribution to film as an art form in the early 1900s but much was lost in the following years. So maybe it's a more indirect influence, like talented people leaving - or maybe you're right and it has nothing to do with that. I would love to read something scientific about that but I'm yet to find useful texts. 

I mean im also just guessing and honestly, reading a historical analysis on the german moviegoing culture would interest me a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aristis said:

The Nazis might have something to do with it since a lot of artists - including directors, actors, writers and composers - had to leave (or simply left)  Germany and Austria in the 30's. Classic Hollywood had a big German-speaking community - Fritz Lang, Petter Lorre, Billy Wilder, Erich Korngold, Michael Curtiz ...

https://www.filmportal.de/thema/die-emigration-filmschaffender-waehrend-des-nationalsozialismus

There's also another effect at work I think - and that was after the Third Reich. Movies and comics were considered "lesser" arts (if art at all) and as such got less recognition. The German Feuilleton had a pretty snobby approach to these ... which has changed only in recent decades (concerning comics, the recognition as "real" art only happened in the 21st century here)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

+4% per Disney.

Insidekino Forum reads similar: 1100k (+3%)

Utterly insane.

Just -5% compared to (4-day) OWend.

Not that those are fair comparisons but Avatar's 4th Wend was down 30% and Titanic's was up! 3%.

Both had really good post holiday legs though - if Avatar is anywhere close to that - wow.

Avatar was pretty steady from 4th trough 8th weekend though and Titanic was, well, Titanic.

3 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

The Nazis might have something to do with it since a lot of artists - including directors, actors, writers and composers - had to leave (or simply left)  Germany and Austria in the 30's. Classic Hollywood had a big German-speaking community - Fritz Lang, Petter Lorre, Billy Wilder, Erich Korngold, Michael Curtiz ...

https://www.filmportal.de/thema/die-emigration-filmschaffender-waehrend-des-nationalsozialismus

There's also another effect at work I think - and that was after the Third Reich. Movies and comics were considered "lesser" arts (if art at all) and as such got less recognition. The German Feuilleton had a pretty snobby approach to these ... which has changed only in recent decades (concerning comics, the recognition as "real" art only happened in the 21st century here)

The Nazis also hurt the science sector in Germany.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

If we go by € then the difference is far crazier.

Titanic probably had about 7m?.

And Hobbit1, HP1, Lotr1 all had a bit below 7m.

TFA had 6.74m

Yeah its insane. I would have never thought it would have such legs here, even if its Avatar/Cameron.

• Like 2

This is good to see:

Die Top Ten (das beste Wochenende seit genau drei Jahren) steigerten sich gegenüber der Vorwoche um etwa 20 %, gegenüber dem gleichen Wochenende 01/2022 als Spider-Man - No Way Home mit 373.990 Besuchern am vierten Wochenende die Charts angeführt hat, ging es um ca. 130 % rauf.  

"The top ten (the best weekend in exactly three years) increased by about 20% compared to the previous week, compared to the same weekend 01/2022 when Spider-Man - No Way Home topped the charts with 373,990 visitors on the fourth weekend, it went up by about 130%."

• Thanks 1