EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

18 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that TG2 gets to like $45m or so for the weekend.  

600 million more locked than it was yesterday?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

It would be a crime for Maverick to not get any IMAX back before August,  maybe a few screenings July 4th weekend 

Minions is getting IMAX that weekend so unless they can work out a deal that it gets the last show of the day (not impossible since Minions is destined to be dead past a certain time of day), the most they can hope for is an August re-release.

• Like 1

The last 2 weeks TG2 increased 70% and 60% from the previous day on Friday.  Saturday TG2 increased 44% and 43% from the previous day.

Tonight it looks like TG2 is increasing about 77% to $11m.  Given the nature of Father's Day weekend, I wouldn't be shocked to see it increase 55% or more tomorrow.  Maybe is around $17m.  Then on Father's day it likely holds really strong or even possibly increases.  That would put it at $45m for the weekend.  

We should know really early in the morning if this is happening.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

It would be a crime for Maverick to not get any IMAX back before August,  maybe a few screenings July 4th weekend 

agreed!

though here in Canada it still playing on many IMAX screens. It’s sharing with Lightyear

Definitely looking to be a rather tepid launch for Lightyear. Justice for Soul/Luca/Turning Red having box office runs with totals of $0, I guess. Waiting to see what the CinemaScore grade is and dailies for the rest of the weekend (along with its drops the next two weeks) before whipping out the RIP though.

• Thanks 2

This is setting up to be a heck of an interesting Saturday....

- Does Lightyear get a bigger than expected increase or does it crater?  

- What does the JWD increase look like?

- Does TG2 have the same 44% increase as the last few weeks or does Father's Day weekend send it soaring?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Definitely looking to be a rather tepid launch for Lightyear. Justice for Soul/Luca/Turning Red having box office runs with totals of $0, I guess. Waiting to see what the CinemaScore grade is and dailies for the rest of the weekend (along with its drops the next two weeks) before whipping out the RIP though.

It is going to be really interesting to see how the Disney board responds to this.  I know some here and other places are thinking this somehow will prove Chapek correct on his Disney+ strategy.  

Given how loyal that board still is to Bob Iger and others, my guess is they are really fucking pissed right now and more likely see this as Chapek taking the premiere animation studio that printed billions for a couple of decades and cheapening it and costing Disney millions literally overnight. 

If anything, I think other studios are looking at what Disney and Chapek did to Pixar and thinking even more that taking these movies out of theaters and putting them on streaming is incredibly damaging.   

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

It's not quite locked, just like yesterday. Extremely likely, just like yesterday.

Like I told you last night, it's locked and has been locked for weeks.  $600m is a done deal.  It's about to have like a 10% drop.  

Bow down to my man Tommy Cruise.  

• Like 5

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Like I told you last night, it's locked and has been locked for weeks.  $600m is a done deal.  It's about to have like a 10% drop.  

Bow down to my man Tommy Cruise.  

Just like I told you last night, you don't seem to understand that word but we don't really disagree on the facts per se -- it's very likely.

• Like 1

Lost a nearby indie theater and it's loss feels massive. Crimes of the Future would be playing here (3 blocks away from where I live) for over a month but right now the nearest theater still showing it is almost 10 miles away and it's the biggest cinema here in the Bay area. At least I get to watch Benediction this weekend I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Legion and Thunder said:

Just like I told you last night, you don't seem to understand that word but we don't really disagree on the facts per se -- it's very likely.

I understand it perfectly well.  It seems like you are the one that actually doesn't understand it in this case and think that it only is "locked" once it hits the number in question.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lost a nearby indie theater and it's loss feels massive. Crimes of the Future would be playing here (3 blocks away from where I live) for over a month but right now the nearest theater still showing it is almost 10 miles away and it's the biggest cinema here in the Bay area. At least I get to watch Benediction this weekend I guess.

anyone know when crimes of the future will be on VOD or digital?

• Like 1

Just now, EmpireCity said:

It is going to be really interesting to see how the Disney board responds to this.  I know some here and other places are thinking this somehow will prove Chapek correct on his Disney+ strategy.  

Given how loyal that board still is to Bob Iger and others, my guess is they are really fucking pissed right now and more likely see this as Chapek taking the premiere animation studio that printed billions for a couple of decades and cheapening it and costing Disney millions literally overnight. 

If anything, I think other studios are looking at what Disney and Chapek did to Pixar and thinking even more that taking these movies out of theaters and putting them on streaming is incredibly damaging.   

We'll have to wait and see. For all we know Lightyear could be an outlier with a confusing concept (a Toy Story spin-off that's not really a spin-off but the movie Andy saw in 1995 that made him want to buy the toy we all know and love?) and Elemental mark a return to financial form for the studio. The fact it's selling well for the night shows (something that I doubt will happen with Minions in two weeks, the notable decline of the last one five years ago was already an indication that the adult audiences that helped power that franchise to blockbuster levels were already starting to check out) means that maybe, just maybe, the legs will be fine and it won't be all doom and gloom. Luckily the limited number of movies this summer overall means it's not going to be pushed out for a while.