EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

6 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

Black Phone and Elvis projections came down, LY underperforming, Dominion is well behind FK. TG really is gonna blow past 600m

Tbf, projections for TG2 came down right before its release. I don't think that says a whole lot.

I'm new here, how is Elvis doing in pre sales? This is anecdotal, but my parents and their friends are super jacked for it. I've been thinking it can be the next Top Gun-esque surprise.

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

"It's inflation!"

"It's the kiss!" 

"It's the lack of Tim Allen!"
"It's Game 7!"

It's because this was a dumb project no one was ever interested in. The trailers were always lame.

It's because they took away Starman from trailer 3, imo

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

How many goats do i have to sacrifice for 15M+ for Dominion today?

Season 4 Monica GIF by Friends

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

From what it looked from pre-sales & some of morning shows, JWD is winning FSS.

Makes sense. High 50s is more than enough.

Disregarding a lot of the dog whistles here on how "ohhhh Republicans hate the gays. They're losing a market" is just blatant bigotry (sorry, but it is), if you want to look at things from a business/marketing perspective, that doesn't make a lick of sense.

This year, Gallup's US support for same-sex marriage is at 71%: https://news.gallup.com/poll/393197/same-sex-marriage-support-inches-new-high.aspx

Last year's was 70%, with 55% of Republicans polled approving same-sex marriage: https://news.gallup.com/poll/350486/record-high-support-same-sex-marriage.aspx

So frankly, capitulating to people who are anti-LGBT would alienate a majority consumer base. And sure, maybe some of the people who are fine with it think it's "too much" for children, but I think that's a very sharp minority of people who said "yes", and don't really give a damn about this culture war stuff being brought on by alt-right grifters. So don't even try with this stuff. Thank you.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I also think it would have been fun to commission Pixar's first live action film about a prima donna actor Chris Evans who refuses to do voiceovers for toys and plucky unemployed voiceover artist Tim Allen who fills in and they solve a toyline related crime together with hilarious consequences. That would have really staved off any aggro. And been a far more fun film than Lightyear.

Take my money! I want this film lol

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Hmmmmmmmm.

I think some of the female character issues have merits - Charlie's Angels being a good example where good, well defined characters at the start of the film became weirdly homogenised in a 'you can do anything' motif. HOWEVER I think it's massive overstated and comes with these rather unfortunate perennial caveat examples of Ripley, Sarah Connor and Princess Leia.

Thing is, Ripley and Connor come from horror-aligned genres which is the one area where there has been a template historically for male viewership engaging with female characters - for the simple fact that corporeal threat is universal and non-gendered. Yes men can empathise with Laurie Strode or Sidney Prescott not wanting to get stabbed to death, or Sarah and Riply not wanting to be mutilated or eaten, but that's not engaging with any of their experience as women. 

Leia on the other hand is, in the original trilogy, a main character but not a figure of identification. Luke is the specific solitary over-the-shoulder figure in the Star Wars OT.

I think male empathy with female characters IS an important development at the moment: and usually if people play the Ripley/SarahConnor/Leia game with me I acknowledge that some of their critique of contemporary female 'hero' characters might be correct but challenge them instead to name 5 good female characters *from outside of horror or horror-aligned films* that *they directly relate to the experiences of when watching the film* before proffering them mine.

Have you seen Netflix's Interceptor yet?  Best female lead since Ripley and Sarah Connor

@EmpireCity i don't find the movie thread so, do you know what happened with Operation Fortune from mr. Guy Ritchie

They take it off the slate in February weeks before of release and then nothing since, i was lowkey excited for it.

Just saw he's directing Hercules for Disney and remembered this movie.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

@EmpireCity i don't find the movie thread so, do you know what happened with Operation Fortune from mr. Guy Ritchie

They take it off the slate in February weeks before of release and then nothing since, i was lowkey excited for it.

Just saw he's directing Hercules for Disney and remembered this movie.

It appears to be caught up in the STX mess/bankruptcy/sale that is going on right now.  It is a valuable asset, so my guess is nothing happens to it until that is cleared up and then the investment firm acquiring it will likely offload it or bring on a distributor.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Friday is clearly in favor of Disney/Pixar’s Lightyear with $23M, that includes the $5.2M previews. However, there’s some suspense from Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World Dominion possibly sinking its teeth into the cartoon astronaut.

Current 3-day outlook for Lightyear is $55M+ and Jurassic World Dominion is at $53.4M, but there’s a projection that the latter cold clear $61M over 4-days sending its running total to $253M.

Still too early to say Lightyear is underperforming for Saturday matinees and Sunday Father’s Day business are its greatest strengths. At this early stage, we heard that hourlies are progressing better than Sonic the Hedgehog 2‘s during its first Friday in April. Should that momentum continue through the rest of this afternoon, then there’s a chance Lightyear gets to $60M.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/lightyear-box-office-2-1235047729/

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Friday is clearly in favor of Disney/Pixar’s Lightyear with $23M, that includes the $5.2M previews. However, there’s some suspense from Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World Dominion possibly sinking its teeth into the cartoon astronaut.

Current 3-day outlook for Lightyear is $55M+ and Jurassic World Dominion is at $53.4M, but there’s a projection that the latter cold clear $61M over 4-days sending its running total to $253M.

Still too early to say Lightyear is underperforming for Saturday matinees and Sunday Father’s Day business are its greatest strengths. At this early stage, we heard that hourlies are progressing better than Sonic the Hedgehog 2‘s during its first Friday in April. Should that momentum continue through the rest of this afternoon, then there’s a chance Lightyear gets to $60M.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/lightyear-box-office-2-1235047729/

Those PostTrak numbers are....not good. 

• Like 2

In last night’s PostTrak exits, Lightyear notched four stars with overall audiences and a 62% recommend. The audience make-up was 67% general, 16% parents and 17% kids under 12. Parents gave the movie 4 1/2 stars whereas kids under 12 gave it 5 stars. Boys outnumbered girls, 61% to 39%. Of the general audience, 53% where men, 47% women.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, it appears that the bad guys in the movie are war hungry Ukranians, so that likely has something to do with the delay as well.  

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/guy-ritchie-operation-fortune-film-cursed-war-b1006801.html

Is this actually a big stumbling block? ADRing every mention of Ukraine with a fake country like Krakozhia, and editing around any garish displays of Ukraine flags should be easy enough. I doubt every single line of dialogue references Ukraine