EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/27-6/20

17 minutes ago, M37 said:

shocker-shocked.gif

First, going to start with the obligatory Fuck Bob Chapek.

Second, I doubt regardless of rumors and small rumblings Chapek would be gone this year or next year. Dude is a horrible creative as well as being too shortsighted to run a multimedia company and overall a bad CEO who will likely plunge the company into the dark ages of the 2000s eventually. However, his first two years were in the pandemic so he had a shield to guard his ass, the 100th anniversary and no successor and the fact he’s still making Disney like a lot of money and that’s all that matters for the shareholders. He’ll leave eventually probably within like 5-10 years or so but the only way I could see him gone in general is like if he fucked with Marvel and Feige (who’s probably the equivalent to Eisner and Pixar being the face back then). Like if No Way Home and MoM were massive underperformers, financially and critically, he’d be done.

Edited by YourMother

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$5.35m for TG2 on Tuesday

Awesome. Thanks as always bud. That's all time best 5th Tuesday ever. Outright, better than American Sniper as well. Healthy 2.5m gain on Black Panther. The flight to 700m is ready to depart, fasten your seatbells. It's gonna be a helluva ride.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Why would chapek kill the theatrical business? Marvel prints them money and they have future plans for star wars and avatar which should also print money

Chapek has been pretty hands off with Marvel thankfully.

But the guy is going to be pushing Disney+ HARD the next 5 years. Pixar's next movies debuting on Disney+ for sure. Only good thing is we might be getting Frozen 3 sooner than later with this guy in charge.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

But the guy is going to be pushing Disney+ HARD the next 5 years. Pixar's next movies debuting on Disney+ for sure. Only good thing is we might be getting Frozen 3 sooner than later with this guy in charge.

Strange World, Elemental coming to D+

1 minute ago, Ronin46 said:

Strange World, Elemental coming to D+

I'm expecting the same 30 day theaterical window for Strange W like for Encanto, but yeah... Elemental straight to streaming. This dude REALLY wants content for Disney+.

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Elemental will be theatrical. They were just promoting last week at CineEurope and showed a clip to the theater owners. 

CineEurope is like the CinemaCon of Europe 

Like Chapek or not, I think Chapek realizes and he has someone telling him the Pixar brand has been tarnished. And like Chapek or not, I think he will try to rebuild it. He will likely give Pixar a couple more chances. 

We know how Chapek responds to internal backslash. Actually, honest or not, I think it's likely that he won't see more Pixar movies direct to streaming because of internal backlash, which is something Chapek is reactive. 

I think he will have Pixar make more series spinning out of their franchises. Kinda crazy they haven't made a Brave series, come to think of it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

Elemental will be theatrical. They were just promoting last week at CineEurope and showed a clip to the theater owners. 

CineEurope is like the CinemaCon of Europe 

Like Chapek or not, I think Chapek realizes and he has someone telling him the Pixar brand has been tarnished. And like Chapek or not, I think he will try to rebuild it. He will likely give Pixar a couple more chances. 

We know how Chapek responds to internal backslash. Actually, honest or not, I think it's likely that he won't see more Pixar movies direct to streaming because of internal backlash, which is something Chapek is reactive. 

I think he will have Pixar make more series spinning out of their franchises. Kinda crazy they haven't made a Brave series, come to think of it. 

Good to hear about Strange World. Hopefully it will be theaterical exclusive for at least 45 days so it can rake in that Christmas money.

Encanto boxoffice legs were brutally cut short.

38 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Good to hear about Strange World. Hopefully it will be theaterical exclusive for at least 45 days so it can rake in that Christmas money.

Encanto boxoffice legs were brutally cut short.

I was talking about Elemental. The next Pixar movie releasing in June 2023.

Regarding Strange World... I think Chapek could give it a full 45 days theatrical release. Unlike last year, Disney is much more armed in terms of movies direct to streaming and series already deep in post,  that I don't think there would even be a need to cut to 30 days when they can have a movie release in the supposed 30 day Strange World would theoretically drop on D+. 

But that's my guess. The reality is... there's the Encanto factor. Mediocre performance at the box office that just... monstrously exploded on Disney Plus

Strange World, Elemental and the other 2023-24 films will still likely be theatrical maybe the same 30-45 day windows though. Mainly because a combination of Plus having more content now, and budget cuts would be more likely first as it’s foolish to invest in 150-200m movies onto streaming and I think that Chapek and the other dude are realizing it. That said if like those films don’t do well, then budget cuts would be first step and then streaming.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Chapek staying is another proof studios really wanna go all in on streaming and forget the theatrical business, which sucks.

Hopefully TGM has shown studios how important theaters and theatrical windows still are. That or studios learn the wrong lesson and we just get more legacy sequels.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 3