EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/27-6/20

I miss the crazy Tuesday gain.....before covid, Tuesday was like a 2nd-Friday of the week but now seem like it is permanently gone. Some might say this is offset by softer Wednesday but a lost revenue is a lost revenue, a softer Wednesday drop isn't because of any of those customer shifting to Wed or Thursday, but because the lower Tuesday' base numbers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

I miss the crazy Tuesday gain.....before covid, Tuesday was like a 2nd-Friday of the week but now seem like it is permanently gone. Some might say this is offset by softer Wednesday but a lost revenue is a lost revenue, a softer Wednesday drop isn't because of any of those customer shifting to Wed or Thursday, but because the lower Tuesday' base numbers. 

Ya, Tuesday bump has been weaker and those gain at least cost BO 3% of the total. Is cinema chain in America cutting down their Tuesday discount program?  It has been a while since reopening but those Tuesday moviegoing habit still lagging.  

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Ya, Tuesday bump has been weaker and those gain at least cost BO 3% of the total. Is cinema chain in America cutting down their Tuesday discount program?  It has been a while since reopening but those Tuesday moviegoing habit still lagging.  

I might be wrong on this, but Tuesday discount day always seemd to be driven by the older crowd.  They are still slowly coming back, and I think is why you saw the new, older skewing movie (Elvis) have a much better performance than others yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$4m for TG2

I'm totally guessing on Elvis, but it is down heavier and I would say that it might be $4m as well.  

Early on both of these.  

Even if that comes up a bit, still a decent drop from Mon for TGM.  Starting to look like the Mon number was the anomaly, not Tuesday. Wonder if the PLF re-release helped bump up Monday numbers more than the rest of the weekdays, similar to how a new release performs best on Monday, picking up some "weekend leftovers" that the other weekdays do not

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think its more that the major chains have increased the subscriber numbers for Stubs/Unlimited/etc programs, so the discount seekers are less incentivized to go on Tuesday, but now any day of the week. So the Tuesday increase is much smaller

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, M37 said:

I think its more that the major chains have increased the subscriber numbers for Stubs/Unlimited/etc programs, so the discount seekers are less incentivized to go on Tuesday, but now any day of the week. So the Tuesday increase is much smaller

Plus Monday is senior discount day, so seniors go for discount Monday and leave discount Tuesday (which isn't as discounted as it used to be) for families, who are not back in the numbers as before...

Plus, as someone mentioned, you have more folks into subscriptions, so less focused on "need for savings", so the frequent goers don't need to go Tuesday,

I used to always go Tuesday...in the last year, I've only done Tuesdays 1-2x...instead, I just keep buying extra years of Cinemark subscriptions to get a reasonable ticket price for my fam...

Biggest tuesday increases were animated movies, Finding Dory 2nd Tuesday was +40% and $4.5m all the way back in 2016, Hotel Transylvania 3 always seemed like the most impressive to me, first tuesday was +70% and $3.5m. In 2019 lotta movies did really well, Aladdin +65% and $3m 2nd Tues, Lion King 45% and $9m then 60% and $6m, Toy Story 4 was 45% and $6.5m

Edited by MattW

3 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

What's the IMAX spread in North America looking like this weekend? 

Did Top Gun manage to wrangle some more showtimes?

More? No - Minions has primary rights through 7/8pm. But TGM should be able to keep a lot of those late shows it got back last week 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

What's the IMAX spread in North America looking like this weekend? 

Did Top Gun manage to wrangle some more showtimes?

Cinemark has committed to Top Gun 2 in at all its XD theaters starting July 1   It shares with Minions - single screens get split / dual screens are one each.  Not IMAX, but should still help the hold b/c Cinemark really didn't give TG2 anything PLF last weekend...

• Thanks 1