Eric is Quiet

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

As someone pointed out, the meme trend has already bled over to Barbie.  We might be sitting here next year looking at a $100m opening for a fucking Barbie movie.  I think Nolan and Universal might have to blink and move a week or work something out, because that movie is going to just blast off into space if the reviews are good.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

For sure.  These are middle school to college aged kids.  They grew up on Dispicable Me and Minions.  

It's interesting you bring this up as I did wonder if the nostalgia factor was actually coming into play as I was watching pre-sales in my Sacramento track.

Ironically the covid delay might have been just long enough for kids who grew up on it to get to the "have disposable income and want to spend it on things" age group.

Do also think I've sensed a shift where Minions have become part of the background of pop culture in general in the last few years.  They're just really recognizable, and well, fun, in a world that is lacking a lot of mischievous fun.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

As someone pointed out, the meme trend has already bled over to Barbie.  We might be sitting here next year looking at a $100m opening for a fucking Barbie movie.  I think Nolan and Universal might have to blink and move a week or work something out, because that movie is going to just blast off into space if the reviews are good.  

Oppenheimer is in a rough spot even without Barbie already confirming itself as the big opener for that weekend. Mission: Impossible the weekend before, The Marvels the weekend after. They should try and position it as an awards contender in the fall to avoid getting overshadowed by everything surrounding it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB is already trying to figure out how to incorporate the social media craze re: the Barbie set pics into the marketing when the movie comes out next year.

Problem is, for every "Suits to Minions" we have four "It's Morbin' Time" or "Snakes on a Plane".  I get kinda get antsy when I see corps actually try to cash in like they did with SOAP so long ago.  I think EC has it right when he mentioned that Universal played it right with their reaction to Suits to Minions by noting it while still being hands off.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Minions and Top Gun breaking out really shows how Disney is loosing steam at box office after the legendary 2019 ,the Disney brand just fizzled.

And no it's not because of representation. It's because of losing the plot of why people love Disney movies.

Disney movies can be same as before with representation also but it seems like they are not even trying no more.

Disney+ won't survive much if this continues, the cracks are showing. Other studios have shown much more success in keeping their brand intact where Disney is dying. 

MCU use to be such a strong brand and now it barely holds for 1 week. If not for Sony ,MCU would have been in extremely bad place right now. Thor Love and Thunder doesn't looks like it will create extraordinary magic at box office too.

Congrats to Universal and Paramount for making such a big comeback and connecting the audience at the end of the day that's what matters.

I guess Disney can count their imaginary streaming numbers and be happy after killing Pixar Brand and soon MCU.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Problem is, for every "Suits to Minions" we have four "It's Morbin' Time" or "Snakes on a Plane".  I get kinda get antsy when I see corps actually try to cash in like they did with SOAP so long ago.  I think EC has it right when he mentioned that Universal played it right by noting it while still being hands off.

its morbin time happenned when the movie had already flopped and morbious has a really big problem with name recognition and people being well aware that it was not a fun time (not even in an ironic way)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

a year would be a very long time to sustain some internet meme lol (not that I don't think Barbie will be huge, but don't think anyone is gonna remember this bit when it does)

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

How to tell if the Barbie movie would just be another Morbin' Time?

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Minions and Top Gun breaking out really shows how Disney is loosing steam at box office after the legendary 2019 ,the Disney brand just fizzled.

And no it's not because of representation. It's because of losing the plot of why people love Disney movies.

Disney movies can be same as before with representation also but it seems like they are not even trying no more.

Disney+ won't survive much if this continues, the cracks are showing. Other studios have shown much more success in keeping their brand intact where Disney is dying. 

MCU use to be such a strong brand and now it barely holds for 1 week. If not for Sony ,MCU would have been in extremely bad place right now. Thor Love and Thunder doesn't looks like it will create extraordinary magic at box office too.

Congrats to Universal and Paramount for making such a big comeback and connecting the audience at the end of the day that's what matters.

I guess Disney can count their imaginary streaming numbers and be happy after killing Pixar Brand and soon MCU.

Ah, where would BOT be without knee jerk over reactions. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Wellll, let's see how it goes in a couple of weekends or three.  One thing about flash memes is that they can have the lifespan of a mayfly (It's Morbin' time probably caught the wave far too late, for instance [not that it was all that big in the first place]).  But Universal is more than happy to rake in the meme bucks while they can.

Mind, some flash memes do have staying power, as AMC comes to mind — but, well, we'll see just how much staying power this has before the next trend hits TikTok.

Of course, if it gets good WOM, then it becomes somewhat self-sustaining even when the meme factor lessens.

You are right, I can be just a VERY brief thing as most things nowadays are (which is IMO a serious problem for mankind in the near future but I digress). So that is 100% a possibility, but I don't know... This looks to me that will capture the attention of kids and teens hugely, combined with the fact that the movie also seems to be really enjoyable and better than the first, the complete lack of kids movies competition and the fact that the yellow bastards are just simply extremely iconic already, I think this could explode.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I rage against Disney as much as anyone, but this is likely a bit over the top.  Disney isn't dying, they are just going into the natural cyclical dip that a lot of companies go through.  They went through it multiple times before and this won't be the last time.  

I hate me some Bob Chapek and think he is incompetent, but the board and shareholders rule.  Even though they extended him, he and Kareem know that they aren't exactly beloved.  While they tried to go 1000% streaming, others have figured out that it simply isn't the way other than if you want to watch a few billion dollars burn.  

There is room for everything.  Room for theatrical, room for PVOD, room for streaming.  If you do it right, they actually end up enhancing each other, not taking away.  Warner Bros. has figured it out.  Universal is figuring it out.  Paramount figured it out.  

Disney will figure it out as well  

• Like 3

Just now, Porthos said:

Ah, where would BOT be without knee jerk over reactions. :lol: 

Look.  Competition is good.  Competition is healthy.  Might take Disney a while to slightly adjust the direction of the ship (if the direction of the ship even needs to be moved) as things are in development for a loooooooong time.

But, you know what?  They'll be fine. Maybe not as dominant as they were in 2019, but that's A Good Thing.

(and, besides, that's not even counting Black Panther 2 or Avatar 2 looming in the distance)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time.

Seeing that film (ironically) crash and burn did influence me more than a bit on The Power of Memes.  I know that they can have power (and have before this weekend).  Just don't think it's a dead certainty is all.

All this overeaction with Disney (as a brand in general and not animation) will end when Avatar 2 just go completely nuts in December and then people will flip and starting saying again: "Disney is just too powerful", "Disney monopolizes the box office", "Disney needs to be stopped", etc... 🙄

• Like 3