Eric is Quiet

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Next November/December looking kind of ehhhhhh, the biggest movies are what, Wonka and Dune (assuming no SW/Star Trek makes it in time). They should move Oppenheimer and get away from summer

There is going to be a lot of movement and late 2023 is only starting to solidify.   Dune just moved to November last week, can't see Wonka going anywhere (especially after seeing the footage), and now Ghostbusters Sequel is locked.  Star Wars and Star Trek of course aren't happening by December 2023 and will be removed from the calendar.  

In fact, I think if you take a snapshot of the current 2023 release calendar (for the entire year), it is going to look completely different in 4 months.  

It is awesome that we finally have a full slate of content coming out, and theatrical needs a full slate, but currently it is too full and I think a lot of stuff will shuffle around as we get closer.  

For example, right now March through August is ridicuously stuffed, but October 2023 is pretty much empty.  If I am Warner Bros., I move The Flash to late October and buy more time to figure out the Ezra Miller situation.  You can then slide Barbie into the June 21st slot.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Nolan is a box office god, but i've been nervous of Oppenheimer. I just... don't see it. Feels like a historical Spielberg movie wit even less broad appeal

I imagine Nolan will turn it into a thriller and take creative liberties in the process

4 minutes ago, The Panda said:

My thoughts:

Barbie could do 100m+ OW

Indy 5 could do 150m+ OW

NATIONAL TREASURE 3 Could do 300m+ DOM

Ive had about 5 glasses of wine today so you know these predicts are legit

May and June are so stacked that I honestly don't know where confidence in TLM's 400M+ is coming from. By the time it comes out, underwater effects will be an old news thanks to Aquaman and AquaTwo, AvaTwo and Black PanTwo. Heck, maybe even Barbie puts it in promos. I don't think GOTG Vol 3 will sniff 500M either for the same reason and because GOTG Vol 2 didn't increase all that much over GOTG

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

May and June are so stacked that I honestly don't know where confidence in TLM's 400M+ is coming from. By the time it comes out, underwater effects will be an old news thanks to Aquaman and AquaTwo, AvaTwo and Black PanTwo. Heck, maybe even Barbie puts it in promos. I don't think GOTG Vol 3 will sniff 500M either for the same reason and because GOTG Vol 2 didn't increase all that much over GOTG

Yeah, if the calendar stands as is, even some good movies with huge IP's are going to struggle.  Not everything can win.  

There is just no chance that Guardians 3, Fast X, The Little Mermaid and Spiderverse release in a 5 week period.  Something is going to move, and that something is most likely going to be Fast X or Spiderverse.  

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Scott has a point, Minions (whatever we think of them) are a franchise born in the 2010s. Might be the only franchise new to that decade and not a continuing franchise from decades ago

DM1 came out 7 months after avatar

37 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Next November/December looking kind of ehhhhhh, the biggest movies are what, Wonka and Dune (assuming no SW/Star Trek makes it in time). They should move Oppenheimer and get away from summer

Star Trek would be bigger than Dune or Wonka? Maybe domestic, but worldwide I am not sure...

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Scott has a point, Minions (whatever we think of them) are a franchise born in the 2010s. Might be the only franchise new to that decade and not a continuing franchise from decades ago

I can't believe it, but I honestly will have to agree with Scott Mendelson for once 😮

Some more takes to go along with

Indy 5 500m+ DOM

Barbie 100m+ OW

NAT TREASURE 3 300m+ DOM

I think:

Mario Movie 80m+ OW, 300m+ DOM

Live Action Pokémon HBO Max series streams for over 5 billion minutes

GOTG3 does almost the same as GOTG2

Barbie/GI Joe Crossover movie 350m+ DOM

Every Avatar sequel this decade over 2b WW

Dune 2 over 300m DOM

SPIDER VERSE 2 Over 450m DOM

Edited by The Panda

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That new Hunger Games movie will be very interesting to track. The nostalgia cycle for it could propel it to big numbers, but do people want to see a dystopian movie when real life basically feels like a dystopia?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

That new Hunger Games movie will be very interesting to track. The nostalgia cycle for it could propel it to big numbers, but do people want to see a dystopian movie when real life basically feels like a dystopia?

That's pretty much why dystopian YA died off. The idea that one young person could inspire a revolution to overthrow a tyrannical government. Pure fantasy.

The way people forget about the new Bong coming next year Lol. But it's better this way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan flops, and new Bong beats Dune.

PS. glad old white people are failing to make such a mediocrity (elvis) relevant.

Edited by Lighthouse
  • ...wtf 2

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The way people forget about the new Bong coming next year Lol. But it's better this way.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Nolan flops, and new Bong beats Dune.

PS. glad old white people are failing to make such a mediocrity (elvis) relevant.

parasite is not that great 

• Knock It Off 2

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Yeah, if the calendar stands as is, even some good movies with huge IP's are going to struggle.  Not everything can win.  

There is just no chance that Guardians 3, Fast X, The Little Mermaid and Spiderverse release in a 5 week period.  Something is going to move, and that something is most likely going to be Fast X or Spiderverse.  

Agreed. January and February (save Quantumania) are barren as far as big movies go. So is April apart from Mario. August after Turtles is a slow month. September and October look slow too now that DUNC 2 vacated October. So there's still space for any of these movies to move in.