Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

I was expecting more after Ragnarok, but this was still a fun romp.  Particularly liked the entire scene with Zeus and the other gods, as well as the entire ending, Thor enchanting the kid's weapons was awesome and I didn't see it coming.  I love that Gorr (free from the necrosword) was able to be talked down and brought his daughter back instead.  All the characters were great (Valkyrie is my fave ❤️) and I liked the chemistry between them.

That being said, the entire movie does feel rushed.  It really could have used an extra half hour to flesh everything out and make it feel more cohesive.  I would have liked for Valkyrie to get more of an arc and there could have been more setup to Jane getting the hammer (though I do like the explanation of Thor asking Mjolnir to take care of her, just wish that could have been expanded upon a bit).  The action also leaves something to be desired.  Compared to some of the stuff we see in Shang-Chi and Multiverse of Madness (or Ragnarok), it just feels uninspired.  The only action moments that stick out to me is the end with the kids, and Valkyrie fighting in Omnipotent City (mostly because of how much she's reveling in it, lol).

The short runtime does make the movie fly by though, and there wasn't any point where I wasn't enjoying it, so I wouldn't say the movie wastes your time, but it does feel like wasted potential.  I just have the sense that this could have been an all time great movie, and instead its just a fun movie that you shouldn't take too seriously.  I am really interested in seeing a followup with Thor and his adopted daughter, though.  What we see of them at the end is very cute, and I'd love to see more of their adventures.  I hope Taika Watiti gets another shot at this and that they can iron out the kinks that happened this time around.

Phase 4 movie rankings:

1.) Multiverse of Madness

2.) No Way Home

3.) Shang-Chi

4.) Thor: Love and Thunder

5.) Black Widow

6.) Eternals

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 3

On 7/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, IceFire9yt said:

Phase 4 movie rankings:

1.) Multiverse of Madness

2.) No Way Home

3.) Shang-Chi

4.) Thor: Love and Thunder

5.) Black Widow

6.) Eternals

I completely agree with your Phase 4 rankings, have exactly the same order.

LT was enjoyable, but lot of annoying bits in it. The opening was meh and Gorr was generally underused in the entire film. The whole GotG stuff was a waste of time, such a useless sequence forced in there to mislead the fans in the trailers. Jane Foster becoming Thor could have been executed much better rather than sum it up in two sentences. Big missed opportunity there. The Zeus sequence was brilliant, best part of the film. The ending was great, too. It's not a bad film, should say it's a typical Thor adventure. Average like the rest of the franchise apart from the outstanding Ragnarok.

• Thanks 1

I will probably cut whole of Jane storyline. Just bringing her back to kill again. Ugh. She was good riddance in Ragnarok. Mjolnir remains dead as well. Now since the film was literally gonna be Ragnarok 2.0 ish, why not make it one.

Thor entry in Ragnarok was him captive and then killing Surtur in an awesome fight scene. Here they tried to do the same, but the threat didn't seem as good as Surtur with some random aliens. Make that better and use Guardians.

Ragnarok marketing had Hulk vs Thor as one big thing along with Hela breaking Mjolnir. This movie should have used Thor vs Zeus as that big fight in middle of film, instead of killing Zeus in just one shot. That fight in God's city could have been done whole lot better with Thor vs Zeus going head to head instead of random god guards getting killed. The reason for fight was good enough as well, Zeus can't risk Thor leaving Omnicity as that may lead Gorr to them.

Probably show Gorr killing that dragon type god in the beginning of film and quite brutally. Sell him as the bad guy. Do the flashback of daughter dying & that god in beginning turning out to be jerk in the third act to give it emotions.

The kids fighting monsters could have been done better and epic, instead of just being a joke. Do with a banger song like Immigrant in Ragnarok. Here it was some random BGM playing.

Will remove the whole Eternity storyline. Gorr killing gods being an evil powerful sword wielder is good enough. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

They obviously weren't going to cut out Jane, that seemed like the whole reason they were doing a 4th movie lol. I do feel bad that Portman got roped into coming back cause she saw how much people loved Ragnarok.. although really it does say something about this franchise that it can't really seem to make the earth characters work like 3 different filmmakers have tried the Jane storyline. 

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The kids fighting monsters could have been done better and epic, instead of just being a joke. Do with a banger song like Immigrant in Ragnarok. Here it was some random BGM playing.

I would just remove that part entirely, it creates so many holes for future films if Thor is just able to casually share his power like that. 

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I would just remove that part entirely, it creates so many holes for future films if Thor is just able to casually share his power like that. 

I guess probably add some limitations to it. Thor having Odin powers now, should be able to do it.

Ragnarok basically did Korg, etc fighting Hela's army. Kids could have done that.

this vs whatever was in L&T

41 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I literally have to search, who that guy is :hahaha:, so pretty accurate. One of the better moments of film.

This is the end result of Taika and the other directors wasting diversity :apocalypse:

37 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I will probably cut whole of Jane storyline. Just bringing her back to kill again. Ugh. She was good riddance in Ragnarok. Mjolnir remains dead as well. Now since the film was literally gonna be Ragnarok 2.0 ish, why not make it one.

Thor entry in Ragnarok was him captive and then killing Surtur in an awesome fight scene. Here they tried to do the same, but the threat didn't seem as good as Surtur with some random aliens. Make that better and use Guardians.

Ragnarok marketing had Hulk vs Thor as one big thing along with Hela breaking Mjolnir. This movie should have used Thor vs Zeus as that big fight in middle of film, instead of killing Zeus in just one shot. That fight in God's city could have been done whole lot better with Thor vs Zeus going head to head instead of random god guards getting killed. The reason for fight was good enough as well, Zeus can't risk Thor leaving Omnicity as that may lead Gorr to them.

Probably show Gorr killing that dragon type god in the beginning of film and quite brutally. Sell him as the bad guy. Do the flashback of daughter dying & that god in beginning turning out to be jerk in the third act to give it emotions.

Will remove the whole Eternity storyline. Gorr killing gods being an evil powerful sword wielder is good enough. 

14 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Watching Hulk and Loki fight in Ragnarok, if you gonna have Zeus alive, have him and some other gods join the fight in the end instead of kids.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I guess probably add some limitations to it. Thor having Odin powers now, should be able to do it.

Ragnarok basically did Korg, etc fighting Hela's army. Kids could have done that.

this vs whatever was in L&T

Even Odin wasn't able to spread Thor's power (or his own) to huge armies at once. He was just able to put a spell on Mjolnir. 

• Like 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

not nearly as good as Immigrant.

I mean sure, though I suppose its inclusion technically makes more sense than say Immigrant Song given Axel's love for the band. I would have done away with most of the very obvious song choices of the film. Except Family Affair. That one is innocent. I think it's weird when any film uses multiple songs from the same band unless it was specifically made for the movie. Especially a band as famous as Guns n Roses.

Finally had time to see this. Was shocked at how poorly paced and edited the movie was. One scene they suddenly teleported into a tent from the moon with zero transition. Lots of scenes were obviously cut. Also did we seriously need yet another movie of how Thor rediscovered himself? 

Film spends a lot of time desperately trying to hide from the darker themes and instead gets overloaded with a lot of poor jokes. 

Basically to sum up the plot, Thor leads an army of child soldiers to defeat a man who lost his daughter and was looking to destroy the people at the very top; elitist Gods. 

Oof. 

That was complete and utter hot garbage. 

I dont think I've ever sat through a film that was this painfully unfunny. The atmosphere in my audience was uncomfortable, nobody was laughing. It was like watching a comedian bomb on stage.

Portman and Hemsworth continue to have negative chemistry.

$250M and somehow one of the ugliest, shoddy looking blockbusters I've seen in years.

Christian Bale is the only redeeming quality in this film. He gives a great performance, but he is just wasted on this film. 

Ragnarok had tonal issues but at least it was funny. This had the same tonal issues but none of the jokes actually land. After what felt like the 10th screaming goat scene it felt like Taika was intentionally making a bad film to see what he could get away with in some of kind of inside joke at your expense.

3/10

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 1