Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

Just now, Valonqar said:

You said 1/3 was actually good. Care to spoil what worked for you? :)

the last 1/3. basically some of the dramatic beats were solid, y'know with portman and bale. long walk to get there though.

How on earth did people come out of this going "it sticks too close to the Marvel formula" when clearly Marvel let Taika do as much crazy shit as he asked for. A child killing monsters with a teddy bear shooting lightning from the eyes?

This movie was fucking bonkers and I loved it.

• Like 3

This film definitely needed more Gorr.

His story sort of felt second fiddle unfortunately. Christian Bale was giving everything with the little we had to do.

We needed to see him kill more Gods. We should have showed up in the City of Gods scene.

Also even though I liked Jane’s story. I feel it could have been that even more powerful and give this film a little more purpose. 

It’s just seems the film had so many GOOD ideas that don’t really live to it’s potential. Like this film being under two hours is ridiculous, it had so much more story to tell.

Ragnarok: Loki watches a play of Thor mourning  him and adds an Odin reaction because he craves their affection.

Love and Thunder: There's a play recounting Ragnarok because people found it funny in the last movie.

The two movies summed up for me. The movie collapses because Taika is so desperate to force a laugh in almost every second. It's overwhelming and more than a bit annoying.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I just don't see what's so objectionable here that wasn't in Ragnarok

Ragnarok had a balance of humor, thrills, and emotion. Plus the jokes were funnier and more memorable.

@ddddeeee already went over the exact criticism I had written, so deleted. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

Ragnarok had a balance of humor, thrills, and emotion. Plus the jokes were funnier and more memorable.

Perfect example is the badly-acted play in both movies. In Ragnarok that scene actually had a narrative purpose. In this, it's seemingly there just to recap Ragnarok? 

Also the play was genuinely hilarious and surprising in Ragnarok? We also got to see Loki revealed through the fact that his fake "Odin" is having this ridiculous play being put on to honor himself. In this, its just like oh here's some cameos again! *audience claps*

The whole first half just serves so little purpose like it still feels like the second half did all the heavy lifting for the characters and story, compared to how efficient Ragnarok was, it's just unfortunately a pale imitation. I still liked quite a bit of what they did in the 2nd half but I know it all would've hit 10x harder if the film didn't waste so much of its already short runtime with meaningless nonsense. 

Plus the guardians? honestly was this hastily scrapped together because James Gunn's issues delayed Vol. 3? 

Not as good as ragnarok, but still great. Story was nonsense but all the stories in marvel are these days, but it was hilarious and definitely knew it's story was nonsense. My only complaints were that they had the GOTG fuck off like 5 minutes into the film, after setting up the Thor/GOTG adventures, and also that the pacing went a bit fast and I think they could have fit more in. I had the same complaint with MoM so maybe I've just gotten used to them giving me almost 3 hour movies

Thor Ragnarok - Thor doesn't need his hammer for his lightning powers. Proceeds to destroy Hela's army with lightning coming from his fists and arms. Also hits Hela with the biggest lightning bolt in the history of lightning bolts, even though it did nothing.

Thor L&T - You only use lightning when you are really angry, or villain is torturing your loved ones, anything else you need Stormbreaker, Mjolnir or Thunderbolt.

How could Taika forget what he showed in Ragnarok himself.

• Like 1

I absolutely see where the complaints of "desperation" and "effort" come from, but IMO.. this was just lazy. It truly felt like there was no script. There's no real character development or thematic spine hanging it all together. A through script would do a better job correlating Portman and Bale's subplots but that cohesion never forms. Thor himself felt poorly defined. As a result, the lack of a throughline completely strands the tone. And every scene feels completely improvised. Feels like truly less than 10% of all dialogue was actually scripted. It was directionless banter and riffing. There's no staging or pacing. Taika just let cameras roll and that's it. Even the action was incomprehensible. Draining the color on Gorr's planet is a fun image, but it's just that... shallow imagery. 

27 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I absolutely see where the complaints of "desperation" and "effort" come from, but IMO.. this was just lazy. It truly felt like there was no script. There's no real character development or thematic spine hanging it all together. A through script would do a better job correlating Portman and Bale's subplots but that cohesion never forms. Thor himself felt poorly defined. As a result, the lack of a throughline completely strands the tone. And every scene feels completely improvised. Feels like truly less than 10% of all dialogue was actually scripted. It was directionless banter and riffing. There's no staging or pacing. Taika just let cameras roll and that's it. Even the action was incomprehensible. Draining the color on Gorr's planet is a fun image, but it's just that... shallow imagery. 

Yeah I was gonna say, what felt off about this movie is that it didn't feel like it ever had a coherent screenplay that they then subsequently improvised on. Ragnarok had a big committee written script that nailed down all the story beats and then Taika was allowed free reign to go off the rails on set, which is made it fun. Even his entirely improvised What We Do in the Shadows had a script they worked on for 10 years, they just didn't end up using it with the actors but they knew what the goal of each scene was. L&T simply felt like no script ever existed or at least not past a simple outline form. 

Honestly the movie has some cool action shots but something felt off about them. No epic Thor moments like Ragnarok or Infinity War, just no sense of excitement to most of the scenes. I thought Thor vs Zeus could be something really memorable like Thor vs Hulk, it ended up being absolutely nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Honestly the movie has some cool action shots but something felt off about them. No epic Thor moments like Ragnarok or Infinity War, just no sense of excitement to most of the scenes. I thought Thor vs Zeus could be something really memorable like Thor vs Hulk, it ended up being absolutely nothing. 

Also it was SO obvious the Zeus part was trying to recapture the charm of like all the Jeff Goldblum/Sakaar bits of Ragnarok and it just didn't lol.